• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Shingles while on Remicade

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
So I have been diagnosed with shingles. Doctor is checking to see if I can take oral anti viral meds or have to go on iv meds....:ybatty::ybatty::ybatty::ybatty::ybatty::ybatty::mad2::mad2:
Anyone have experience they can share????

Wow sorry to hear that.
I have been struggling with the decision on whether or not to get the shingles vaccination. Out of curiosity, did you ever have to vaccination?

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Wow sorry to hear that.
I have been struggling with the decision on whether or not to get the shingles vaccination. Out of curiosity, did you ever have to vaccination?
No, I did not get the shot, I've been on Remicade since before the shot was popular..... Never knew about it when I started my infusions.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Well, the rash I have is oh so lovely....... NOT!!!! it is on my right side, have to wear loose shirts and no bra..... Still have a few blisters but it looks like things are calming down.

I did get a prescription for Lyrica, started it and it appears to be helping, plus I got to take a nap lol..... Taking another dose before bed so hopefully I can get a full night's sleep.

I have to call the Dr on Monday to check in and see if I can go back to work, if I still have un-crusted blisters I get to stay out longer..... Which really would be a bummer as I have an important class to teach on Wednesday!!!!!

I got the shingles vaccine about 5 years ago as I had high ana count but ws not diagnosed with crohns until last December. because I was under 65 I had to pay for the shot myself but I think it was well worth it as I am now going into the infusion meds since azathioprine caused me acute pancreatitis. I know shingles is bad and pray for your rapid recovery

I recently had Remicade infusions re-introduced after being off for close to five years. I ended up in the hospital with a body temperature of 105 two weeks after infusion one. Days after infusion two I developed severe joint pain and was unable to walk (first time experiencing joint pain). Two weeks following my third infusion I developed shingles.

Prior to the third infusion antibody testing revealed I had low level antibodies.

Are the shingles a result of a compromised immune system or a reaction to the Remicade?