• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help! My flare up (Prednisone)

So I've been flaring about 2 weeks now and I've been on Prednisone for 7 days (20 MG a day). I have two questions... First, Is (20 MG a day) strong enough for a bad flare up? Second, Is it normal to have extreme cramping near my pubic region that last about 30 seconds to a minute? The cramps are so severe that I double over in pain. I've had Crohn's for a year and this is my first flare since being diagnosed. Please help! This is the worst pain I've ever felt.

My weight 205

Last edited:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi eastwood! :)

If its been 7 days already and you haven't noticed improvement then 20mg is likely too low of a dose as Prednisone tends to start working within 3+ days (unless it was given via IV, then its sooner). Usually for me during a bad flare I'd take 50-60mg and that was for an underweight child. I'd contact your GI and ask if they'd be willing to up the dose so you can get some relief soon.

Where is your Crohn's located? Are you on any other medications?

If its been 7 days already and you haven't noticed improvement then 20mg is likely too low of a dose as Prednisone tends to start working within 3+ days (unless it was given via IV, then its sooner). Usually for me during a bad flare I'd take 50-60mg and that was for an underweight child. I'd contact your GI and ask if they'd be willing to up the dose so you can get some relief soon.

My flare up is in my colon.
Prednisone 20mg a day... last night I took a extra 40mg for a total of 60mg
pentasa 4000mg a day
Flagyl 1500mg a day

hawkeye

Staff member
It usually kicks in for me within 3 days or so and usually with 40 mg. That being said when I was first diagnosed and tapering, I could not get below 40 mg without things flaring up again.

I am currently on 40mg Prednisone for a flare. I have been on it for two weeks and I am not sure it's doing anything - except giving me side effects. Although I'm not having pain. The last time I took Prednisone it worked a lot faster than this and I think it was a lower dose then. I'm nervous I'll end up with surgery if it doesn't start working. I have a follow-up appointment tomorrow.....

Hope you are starting to feel some relief, if not I'd call the dr. if you are still in that much pain.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Prednisone 20mg a day... last night I took a extra 40mg for a total of 60mg
Did your doctor suggest to do this? Be careful if you're self medicating with Prednisone. No matter what dose you cannot simply stop taking it. So if you're at 60mg now then you'll likely need to taper from that dose rather than the original 20mg which your GI prescribed. You need to watch out for Adrenal Insufficiency/Crisis while tapering and definitely if the dose is fluctuating by upping it and lowering it suddenly, which can be deadly. If your GI did not suggest to up the dose to 60mg then you need to call them and let them know so they can help you plan for how long you'll be on that dose and how to taper properly.

If your GI suggested to up the dose then I hope it works to get your flare under control. Please keep us posted. :)

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
prednisone usually kicks in for me after two days. You are most likely on too low of a dose. Let your doctor know about this as well as your symptoms so adjustments can be made to your treatment.

I think starting in the 30s/40s range is more common (My first flare I started at 35mg, 2nd flare started at 30mg).

I am currently on 40mg Prednisone for a flare. I have been on it for two weeks and I am not sure it's doing anything - except giving me side effects. Although I'm not having pain. The last time I took Prednisone it worked a lot faster than this and I think it was a lower dose then. I'm nervous I'll end up with surgery if it doesn't start working. I have a follow-up appointment tomorrow.....

Hope you are starting to feel some relief, if not I'd call the dr. if you are still in that much pain.
Sorry to hear your not responding well to the Prednisone. What kind of sides are you getting? I also fear surgery myself and im going to the GI tomorrow.

Did your doctor suggest to do this? Be careful if you're self medicating with Prednisone. No matter what dose you cannot simply stop taking it. So if you're at 60mg now then you'll likely need to taper from that dose rather than the original 20mg which your GI prescribed. You need to watch out for Adrenal Insufficiency/Crisis while tapering and definitely if the dose is fluctuating by upping it and lowering it suddenly, which can be deadly. If your GI did not suggest to up the dose to 60mg then you need to call them and let them know so they can help you plan for how long you'll be on that dose and how to taper properly.

If your GI suggested to up the dose then I hope it works to get your flare under control. Please keep us posted. :)
No, my doctor did not tell me to take the 60mg but he is not helping me at all. I have a appointment tomorrow with him and will be the last visit with him until next week when I get a new GI. I'm hoping he can give me more prednisone so I can taper of the correct way. Thanks for your concern about tapering and I'm aware that you cant just stop taking prednisone. :D

eastwood: My GI gave me the all clear to start tapering down my prednisone :) I guess I'm about to find out how well it is or isn't working..... I was/am getting shakes, hot flashes, rapid heart beat, sleeplessness, and very quick to go off on people - which is SO not like me!

I hope you get a plan in place tomorrow from your GI that brings relief from your pain and no surgery will be needed!

prednisone usually kicks in for me after two days. You are most likely on too low of a dose. Let your doctor know about this as well as your symptoms so adjustments can be made to your treatment.

I think starting in the 30s/40s range is more common (My first flare I started at 35mg, 2nd flare started at 30mg).
Yea at first he was he giving me to low of a dose of pentasa and now he tried to give me to low of a dose of Prednisone :voodoo: Ive been trying so hard to find a new GI and have a appointment next week with the new GI.:) When I first told him I was having a flare up he sent me for a scan and would not give me any meds and said the scan would take over a week before he would get back with me on the results. I blame him for how bad my flare up is now!

eastwood: My GI gave me the all clear to start tapering down my prednisone :) I guess I'm about to find out how well it is or isn't working..... I was/am getting shakes, hot flashes, rapid heart beat, sleeplessness, and very quick to go off on people - which is SO not like me!

I hope you get a plan in place tomorrow from your GI that brings relief from your pain and no surgery will be needed!

Well i hope your taper goes well! I know all about the quick to go off on people while on prednisone. lol

Did you have very bad cramping? My was so bad this time, and it still hurts time to time. I think the 60mg of prednisone is helping but im still not well.

Did you have very bad cramping? My was so bad this time, and it still hurts time to time. I think the 60mg of prednisone is helping but im still not well.
I had extremely sharp, stabbing pains with a bit of cramping. When I'm having a flare, the pain is just as bad as the worst child labor pains in my opinion. I actually use the labor breathing to get through flare pains. Prednisone did stop my pains though, so I'm hoping it's working and that no scar tissue is causing my strictures.

It's good you have an appointment tomorrow especially if you are still having some pain. Post an update!

I had extremely sharp, stabbing pains with a bit of cramping. When I'm having a flare, the pain is just as bad as the worst child labor pains in my opinion. I actually use the labor breathing to get through flare pains. Prednisone did stop my pains though, so I'm hoping it's working and that no scar tissue is causing my strictures.
It's good you have an appointment tomorrow especially if you are still having some pain. Post an update!

It usually kicks in for me within 3 days or so and usually with 40 mg. That being said when I was first diagnosed and tapering, I could not get below 40 mg without things flaring up again.

To keep you guys up to date, My GI has me on 60mg of prednisone and I will taper all the way down to 10mg. I'm still very ill and much in pain. Today was my first dose of 50mg and will be on 50mg for two weeks. I PRAY that I can get this flare up under control with not having to go to the hospital! This is my first flare up since being diagnosed one year ago. I think I might go crazy if I eat another plain food lol. I'm sure you guys know what i mean. All I eat is chicken and rice with potatoes and green beans. What do you guys eat when your flaring and is there any food that has flavor that i can eat right now??? Like something sweet that wont hurt me....

Last edited:

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I make clean tacos. I boil and shred chicken, and top it on a tortilla with diced tomatoes, red onions, cilantro lime juice and the TINIEST bit of cheese.

I also make a white bean chicken chili. I have had one person on here try the recipe and they love it! Its really good:
http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-slow-cooker-white-chicken-chili/

Basically any variation of chicken I could come up with I tried. As well as fish. I like to eat lemon pepper salmon and rice.

For sweet (im doing this one right now), you can try frozen blueberries dipped in greek yogurt. I took plain greek yogurt, mixed honey in it then you take two toothpicks and cover the berries in the yogurt mix. put them in the freezer for about an hour and they are ready to snack on or place into a baggie in the freezer for later :)

I make clean tacos. I boil and shred chicken, and top it on a tortilla with diced tomatoes, red onions, cilantro lime juice and the TINIEST bit of cheese.

I also make a white bean chicken chili. I have had one person on here try the recipe and they love it! Its really good:
http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-slow-cooker-white-chicken-chili/

Basically any variation of chicken I could come up with I tried. As well as fish. I like to eat lemon pepper salmon and rice.

For sweet (im doing this one right now), you can try frozen blueberries dipped in greek yogurt. I took plain greek yogurt, mixed honey in it then you take two toothpicks and cover the berries in the yogurt mix. put them in the freezer for about an hour and they are ready to snack on or place into a baggie in the freezer for later :)
Thanks Ill give these things a try :)

I can't eat hardly anything during a flare. White toast, saltine crackers, ensure, mashed potatoes, most liquids. I have been feeling a bit better so I have added in some salmon and rice for dinner, chicken (which I know you are sick of, lol) applesauce and canned peaches. I can't have any fresh fruits or veggies at all. I also am dealing with strictures so I have to avoid anything with seeds, nuts and skins. Eating is definitely not a fun, social thing anymore :-/

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
To add flavor to chicken breast I cut the breast into chunks and marinate it in lemon juice (you'll see the edges turn white, takes about 10-15 minutes). Add a little salt and pepper while cooking (could use a little tiny bit of butter or oil in a frying pan or bake it) and put that on top of rice with a tiny bit of butter, salt and pepper on the rice. You can throw veggies in there that you know you can eat and cook them with the chicken, even marinate it with the chicken.

During a flare I follow the Low Residue Diet: http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/Low-Residue-Diet You can make just about anything low residue.

For sweet what I did was take a couple pieces of bread, put a little butter on top and sprinkle on cinnamon and sugar then bake until the bread is toasted. Makes the house smell nice at least. :p I also ate canned peaches. Honey on biscuits is good.

New update on my flare up. Last night was the worst night off my life! I got up in the middle of the night at least 15 times to run to the bathroom. So I'm in the hospital now and there giving me Solu medrol 125mg to help with the inflammation. I don't know how long i'll be here, it just depends on how I respond to the Solu medrol. Ill keep you guys updated.

May I ask what all of your flare symptoms are?

My Crohn's is in my colon right to the rectum. I also have a hiatal hernia, IBS and Barretts esophagus.

I am in constant pain, with intermittent severe cramping, passing even a tiny blot of mucus/blood is excruciating. I have been bleeding a lot the last few days.

Is predisone the only hope for relief? I did vivonex for two days and the perpetual pain was relieved but still had mucus and bleeding issues, worst off I developed an intense incurable headache and had trouble sleeping - I am an corporate accountant who needs to concentrate this time of year - so I went back to eating gentle foods on Friday.

Thanks
Hope you feel better!

May I ask what all of your flare symptoms are?

My Crohn's is in my colon right to the rectum. I also have a hiatal hernia, IBS and Barretts esophagus.

I am in constant pain, with intermittent severe cramping, passing even a tiny blot of mucus/blood is excruciating. I have been bleeding a lot the last few days.
Is predisone the only hope for relief? I did vivonex for two days and the perpetual pain was relieved but still had mucus and bleeding issues, worst off I developed an intense incurable headache and had trouble sleeping - I am an corporate accountant who needs to concentrate this time of year - so I went back to eating gentle foods on Friday.
Thanks
Hope you feel better!
Yes, my symptoms are extreme crapping in my pubic region and the pain can come and go about 20 times a day. Since being in the hospital they have me on a strong pain med called Solu-Medrol that helps so much with the pain.

Prednisone is not the only relief but you would have to go to the hospital for some days to get the stronger corticosteroid and if that does not help with then a few days they would probably bump you up to a immune system suppressing drugs, witch will be my next step if I don't get better from the solu-medrol 125mg.

So how long have you been flaring and are you getting better with just the prendisone?
Hope the best for you:thumleft:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Keep us posted eastwood. :) What medications have been suggested if the solu-medrol doesn't do the trick?

Keep us posted eastwood. :) What medications have been suggested if the solu-medrol doesn't do the trick?
Well this is my second day on slou-medrol and My GI wants to try this for 3 days total and see if my blood work shows that the inflammation is getting better then move up to Humira if not.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
And if it does work then your GI thinks that your current treatment plan was working fine? They don't want to add anything or switch to something else to keep this from happening again?

And if it does work then your GI thinks that your current treatment plan was working fine? They don't want to add anything or switch to something else to keep this from happening again?
No, I was on pentasa for a year and i've had a few problems here and there but this was the worst of all flare ups so far. So to answer your question there going to put me on Humira or Remicade. But sounds like to me from what we have talked about ill probably go straight to Humira.

New update on my flare up. Last night was the worst night off my life! I got up in the middle of the night at least 15 times to run to the bathroom. So I'm in the hospital now and there giving me Solu medrol 125mg to help with the inflammation. I don't know how long i'll be here, it just depends on how I respond to the Solu medrol. Ill keep you guys updated.
Sorry to hear you ended up in the hospital, but I hope there you will find some answers and a plan to attack this thing. Best wishes!

Sorry to hear you ended up in the hospital, but I hope there you will find some answers and a plan to attack this thing. Best wishes!
Im still here in the hospital and Im praying that my blood work shows in the morning that the inflammation is going down!

Im still here in the hospital and Im praying that my blood work shows in the morning that the inflammation is going down!
Will be praying with you. Hopefully you can go home soon with a plan of action in place that will help you. FYI: if your blood work is painful I learned that making sure your arm is warm before they draw makes it go less painfully :) not sure if it's something weird that just works for me but I'd always make sure I had those wonderfully warm hospital blankets on before they came in :thumleft:

Will be praying with you. Hopefully you can go home soon with a plan of action in place that will help you. FYI: if your blood work is painful I learned that making sure your arm is warm before they draw makes it go less painfully :) not sure if it's something weird that just works for me but I'd always make sure I had those wonderfully warm hospital blankets on before they came in :thumleft:
Good idea! They seem to draw my blood at 5 a.m. for what every reason. Nothing like being woke up and getting blood drawn lol :voodoo:

No, my doctor did not tell me to take the 60mg but he is not helping me at all. I have a appointment tomorrow with him and will be the last visit with him until next week when I get a new GI. I'm hoping he can give me more prednisone so I can taper of the correct way. Thanks for your concern about tapering and I'm aware that you cant just stop taking prednisone. :D

HI eastwood,

When I flared up this year I started at 40mg. Tapered all the way off but flared up within one week, so went back up to 60mg and started over again. Most people I hear about start at 40 or 60mg, so it sounds like your doctor thought it wasn't so bad and 20 would do. Looks like he was wrong as you're still having pain- that should have gone away within the the first week. Or at least, be much better.

I also increased my dosage without telling my doctor. My original taper was going too quick and after I reduced to 20 mg from 40 I felt like crap the next day, even had a slight fever. So I took an extra 10mg and stayed at the 30mg level- felt much better. I went in to see my doctor as scheduled a week afterwards and let him know, he was fine with that. But I certainly wouldn't know how to reduce a dosage. Once you've been on Pred for a while you have to go real, real slow in the taper. I'm on my last four weeks now and take 5mg every other day for two weeks, then 2.5mg every other day for two weeks. Can't get much slower.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hobbes650 it comes in 1mg actually. ;) Would need another prescription though if you needed to go that route.

Hobbes650 it comes in 1mg actually. ;) Would need another prescription though if you needed to go that route.

OK Crabby, now you're REALLY starting to annoy me. :mad2:

I've got one bottle of 5mg tablets, and a pill splitter and I'm not buying any more Pred. Besides, my doctor knows better than to start tapering me at 1mg increments. I know where he lives. :D

So yea Im still here and 2day is 1 week :sign0085:. My blood work today showed that the inflammation is worst but I do feel better and the GI in the hospital today says that the blood work is only part the battle. He said the fact that I feel better is a good sign. I started Humira yesterday an hope this will start working before its to late. The GI today said that he was taking me off the solu medrol 125mg because of the sides so I hope this is the right decision. Every time they put me on prednisone my numbers shoot up in my blood work so wee will see what happens. Please pray for me ab thanks for all the support!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Glad you're starting to feel better eastwood. Hope you continue to get better and get out of there soon. Thanks for keeping us posted. :)

So I'm back home and was in the hospital for 9 days. I feel better now but I've had a little bleeding when I poop and the bleeding had stooped before i left the hospital so I hope im not going backwards toward the flare up. I lost 25 lbs in 2 weeks and it really sucks! I hit the gym 5 days a week and do heavy weight training and to see my body the way it is now is very hard to take in. I hope to gain the muscle back as soon as my body will let me.

The main thing that I take from this is, GOD got me out of the flare up and I'm so thankful for him. I'm going to church Sunday and cant wait to show my thanks! The doctor was not sure if my colon was going to heal and when I woke up on Tuesday the blood work showed that the inflammation went down a lot and I felt so much better. It was out of no were because it was getting worse and worse.

So I'm back home and was in the hospital for 9 days. I feel better now but I've had a little bleeding when I poop and the bleeding had stooped before i left the hospital so I hope im not going backwards toward the flare up. I lost 25 lbs in 2 weeks and it really sucks! I hit the gym 5 days a week and do heavy weight training and to see my body the way it is now is very hard to take in. I hope to gain the muscle back as soon as my body will let me.

The main thing that I take from this is, GOD got me out of the flare up and I'm so thankful for him. I'm going to church Sunday and cant wait to show my thanks! The doctor was not sure if my colon was going to heal and when I woke up on Tuesday the blood work showed that the inflammation went down a lot and I felt so much better. It was out of no were because it was getting worse and worse.
I was hoping to see an update! I am glad you are home! WOW 25lbs! That is insane! This disease is something else, so frustrating. I've lost a little weight (only 10 lbs not 25!) but I look 6 months pregnant - go figure. Feels like a no win sometimes! Hopefully you will be back to the gym in no time!

I am thanking God with you for your healing from the flare up and pray you will not be going backwards but continue forward! My son asked me the other day why God doesn't just heal me and I told him I think life is more about learning through our journey and yes some people can be (and are) healed miraculously but I wouldn't change what I have learned about myself or God on my journey so far. I have met so many people I otherwise wouldn't have without going through this. Although complete restoration now would be really nice :) I know it eventually will happen :thumright: Thanks for the update, was wondering how it was going!

HI mICHELLE89' MY HUSBAND IS ON PREDNISONE FOR FLARE UP ALONG WITH FLAGLY AN ASPRICO. WHICH HE TAKES DAILY. HAD SCOPE DONE LAST WEEK HAD 11 BIOSEY AN NOW THEY WANT TO SWITCH FROM REMINICADE TO IMURAN AN CINIZA, DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS BEST I HOPE PREDISONE STARTS WORKING FOR YOU IF NOT CALL THE DOCTOR;)

HI mICHELLE89' MY HUSBAND IS ON PREDNISONE FOR FLARE UP ALONG WITH FLAGLY AN ASPRICO. WHICH HE TAKES DAILY. HAD SCOPE DONE LAST WEEK HAD 11 BIOSEY AN NOW THEY WANT TO SWITCH FROM REMINICADE TO IMURAN AN CINIZA, DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS BEST I HOPE PREDISONE STARTS WORKING FOR YOU IF NOT CALL THE DOCTOR;)
Thanks, I am now down to 25mg pred. Still having some bloating but otherwise doing much better. I am actually having constipation I guess from the pred.??? Strange issue to have for me when I normally have the "big D" :biggrin: I'd rather have constipation, except I'm nervous about adding fiber - don't want to irritate anything!

I Hope the change works well for your husband. I've been on imuran for about 2 years, but I am now going from imuran to humira. Loading dose in two weeks. Not sure if I'm continuing the imuran on top of humira or not. I didn't have any side effects from the imuran, just wasn't cutting it for me any longer. I Had a big flare and developed 2 separate areas of strictures in December. Crazy all the bouncing around everyone does among the drugs!

eastwood: I hope you are feeling well and still recovering at home! Update us when you can!
I feel so much better and i've gained back a couple of pounds only 23lbs more to go lol. Im eating nothing but chicken and rice like 4 times a day and eggs and grits for breakfast. I'll eat 1 banana :dance: a day as well and the same thing every single day lol. Its getting very old but my body is digesting the food and i'm so grateful for GOD'S favor to pull me out of that horrible flare up. I don't every want to have to go back to being that sick again! For now im going to stay on a strict diet and eat very clean. I go see my GI on Tuesday and will take it from there. Im on 50mg prednisone now and i'm Curious to see how fast I can come off the horrible drug as we all know lol.
Thanks so much for your concern it means a lot!:ybiggrin:

How are you doing with the 25mg and are you feeling well?

Yay for digesting food!! I'm glad you are feeling better and home!

How are you doing on the prednisone? I am now down to 20mg but I am dealing with a LOT of bloating and pressure, very uncomfortable. I'm trying to drink lots of water as supposedly it helps, but not really working and still really irritable (my poor family has been so understanding!). My 5yo asked if I was having a baby, lol. Perfect time to teach etiquette! I am also starting Humira tomorrow. Kinda freaked out about the loading dose :-/

My favorite food that's been settling well is Salmon, rice and applesauce. I've been having eggs as well and seems to be okay.

Yay for digesting food!! I'm glad you are feeling better and home!

How are you doing on the prednisone? I am now down to 20mg but I am dealing with a LOT of bloating and pressure, very uncomfortable. I'm trying to drink lots of water as supposedly it helps, but not really working and still really irritable (my poor family has been so understanding!). My 5yo asked if I was having a baby, lol. Perfect time to teach etiquette! I am also starting Humira tomorrow. Kinda freaked out about the loading dose :-/

My favorite food that's been settling well is Salmon, rice and applesauce. I've been having eggs as well and seems to be okay.

It feels so good to be healthy right now and I will never forget how it feels to lose your health! Today I will drop my prednisone dose to 35mg and continue to drop the dose 5mg every 3 days. My GI said this was the fastest and safest way to drop the dose compared to how well i'm doing. I'm GLAD to hear that your down to 20mg and not flaring, that's great!! Sorry to hear that you are having a lot of bloating and pressure! Today is my last two injections of Humira for the loading dose. I took 4 injections 2 weeks and After this loading I'll just have to inject every two weeks and no more pills. Yay! Don't worry about the loading dose its going to help you so much. Humira is the drug that saved my colon because I was not responding to SOLU MEDROL 125MG or 60mg of prednisone. I'll pray for you and I know GOD has great things in store for you! Keep me updated on the Humira and the prednisone.

That's great that you are feeling healthy! I wish I could taper the prednisone as quickly as you but my body can't handle it. You will be off way before me! I taper down every two weeks. Just went to 20mg yesterday so two more weeks at that level for me. I've greatly increase my water intake which has helped some with the bloating - thanks to searching the forum! :)

I'm glad you are having such a good experience with beginning humira. I hope your second loading dose went well. Praying your success on humira continues for years!!

I started my first loading dose today. I am still amazed I did it. It hurt like crazy but after the nurse did the first shot I managed to do the other 3. I think I will be more comfortable when I can do it at home. My husband took me for a chocolate shake afterwards so all was good :) I expected more side effects but other than my legs being a bit sore I'm good. I apparently will have to continue my imuran while being on humira. Now I am just praying it's worth it!

Really great to hear you are doing well!

That's great that you are feeling healthy! I wish I could taper the prednisone as quickly as you but my body can't handle it. You will be off way before me! I taper down every two weeks. Just went to 20mg yesterday so two more weeks at that level for me. I've greatly increase my water intake which has helped some with the bloating - thanks to searching the forum! :)

I'm glad you are having such a good experience with beginning humira. I hope your second loading dose went well. Praying your success on humira continues for years!!

I started my first loading dose today. I am still amazed I did it. It hurt like crazy but after the nurse did the first shot I managed to do the other 3. I think I will be more comfortable when I can do it at home. My husband took me for a chocolate shake afterwards so all was good :) I expected more side effects but other than my legs being a bit sore I'm good. I apparently will have to continue my imuran while being on humira. Now I am just praying it's worth it!

Really great to hear you are doing well!
So how is the humira going? Are you off the pred?

So how is the humira going? Are you off the pred?
I haven't really noticed anything good or bad from the humira yet. I have my second loading dose on this Wednesday.

Still on the pred and not enjoying it. At the rate we are tapering it will be more than a month! :ybatty: I haven't weighed this much since I was pregnant. I'm starting to not want to go anywhere. It's not just about not liking how I look, but my added weight is becoming so obvious it apparently begs people to ask me about my health and that's all I seem to discuss anymore.

I can't wait to get past the next month or so and hopefully start feeling some good effects from the humira! :) I am actually feeling some pain today. But we went to eat after church and I had some chicken that I didn't expect to be spicey but was. Hoping that is all it is.

How is humira treating you?! Are you back at the gym?

I haven't really noticed anything good or bad from the humira yet. I have my second loading dose on this Wednesday.

Still on the pred and not enjoying it. At the rate we are tapering it will be more than a month! :ybatty: I haven't weighed this much since I was pregnant. I'm starting to not want to go anywhere. It's not just about not liking how I look, but my added weight is becoming so obvious it apparently begs people to ask me about my health and that's all I seem to discuss anymore.

I can't wait to get past the next month or so and hopefully start feeling some good effects from the humira! :) I am actually feeling some pain today. But we went to eat after church and I had some chicken that I didn't expect to be spicey but was. Hoping that is all it is.

How is Humira treating you?! Are you back at the gym?
So how long have you been on the Humira now?

Sorry to hear your having bad side from the prednisone!

So were is you pain at, upper GI or is it in your colon? I'll tell you what is helping me is im eating boiled chicken and rice with chicken bouillon for flavor several times a day. I eat eggs and grits for breakfast and about 3 bananas and 1 avocado a day. Its crazy when I eat this clean I'm hungry ever 3 hours. It's like a body building diet but the chicken and rice could help you if you can eat the same thing over and over. I'll also make chicken and dumplings every other day to change it up.:ybiggrin:

The Humira seems to be working but man does that stuff burn :runaway:lol :voodoo:

Yes I'm back at the gym and this week I went really hard at the gym and it feels so great to be back and doing what I love ;). Its crazy how much strength I loss from just 2 weeks of being that sick. I would say i'll lost about 3 years of hard training all in 2 weeks. The main thing is that I'm healthy now and GOD answered my prayers! I give GOD all credit for my recovery and I'm so thankful for being healthy!

I'll pray for you and once the Humira kicks in it should help you a lot!

So how long have you been on the Humira now?

Sorry to hear your having bad side from the prednisone!

So were is you pain at, upper GI or is it in your colon? I'll tell you what is helping me is im eating boiled chicken and rice with chicken bouillon for flavor several times a day. I eat eggs and grits for breakfast and about 3 bananas and 1 avocado a day. Its crazy when I eat this clean I'm hungry ever 3 hours. It's like a body building diet but the chicken and rice could help you if you can eat the same thing over and over. I'll also make chicken and dumplings every other day to change it up.:ybiggrin:

The Humira seems to be working but man does that stuff burn :runaway:lol :voodoo:

Yes I'm back at the gym and this week I went really hard at the gym and it feels so great to be back and doing what I love ;). Its crazy how much strength I loss from just 2 weeks of being that sick. I would say i'll lost about 3 years of hard training all in 2 weeks. The main thing is that I'm healthy now and GOD answered my prayers! I give GOD all credit for my recovery and I'm so thankful for being healthy!

I'll pray for you and once the Humira kicks in it should help you a lot!

I'm glad it's working well for you. I can't really tell yet but don't see any additional side effects. I've had the initial 4 shot loading dose.....giving myself the second 2 shot loading dose tomorrow (2/20). Yeah........it definitely burns! :rof: (<- rof...in burning pain)

I lowered my Prednisone yesterday to 15mg and I can finally say today was a pretty good day symptom wise. Still some bloating but more bearable. The pain I was having the other day came and went so guessing it was the spicy chicken :ybiggrin:

I am very used to eating the same thing over and over. I've been doing a banana along with an egg-n-cheese omlette in the morning. I could def. do the chicken and rice. Dumplings sound really yummy too- I've never made them.

Yay for being back doing what you love! Good for you! I am excited to get fit again myself, especially after all the weight I've gained on the pred. and mostly how I feel with the extra weight. I know what you mean about loosing years worth of fitness. I have a lot of work ahead. I'm sure you will be back where you want to be in no time.

It has been a long road and crohn's is obviously a life long journey but I love looking back seeing God at work through it all beside me. I wish I was better at seeing Him in the midst of it all! Maybe one day I'll learn :ybatty:

I'm glad it's working well for you. I can't really tell yet but don't see any additional side effects. I've had the initial 4 shot loading dose.....giving myself the second 2 shot loading dose tomorrow (2/20). Yeah........it definitely burns! :rof: (<- rof...in burning pain)

I lowered my Prednisone yesterday to 15mg and I can finally say today was a pretty good day symptom wise. Still some bloating but more bearable. The pain I was having the other day came and went so guessing it was the spicy chicken :ybiggrin:

I am very used to eating the same thing over and over. I've been doing a banana along with an egg-n-cheese omlette in the morning. I could def. do the chicken and rice. Dumplings sound really yummy too- I've never made them.

Yay for being back doing what you love! Good for you! I am excited to get fit again myself, especially after all the weight I've gained on the pred. and mostly how I feel with the extra weight. I know what you mean about loosing years worth of fitness. I have a lot of work ahead. I'm sure you will be back where you want to be in no time.

It has been a long road and crohn's is obviously a life long journey but I love looking back seeing God at work through it all beside me. I wish I was better at seeing Him in the midst of it all! Maybe one day I'll learn :ybatty:
Yea the burning from the humira is getting better. I did my first shot of the normal dose and it didn't burn at all. I think its just the first shots from the loading dose that hurts the most so don't worry it will get better. :ybiggrin:

That's great you lowered your does to 15mg today and how long will you be on 15? 2 weeks?

So in your omelets do you use lactose free cheese or does lactose not bother you? Its funny because I just watched a video on milk/lactose. here check this video out.:dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klOwpFTI7jQ