• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pain to beat all pain, SHINGLES!

Fricking frickity frick frick.

Noticed a few days after my second infusion/loading dose of Remi that I had this patchy, rash starting from the lower left side of my back, down my buttock, and to the top of my leg.

The pain is un-fricking real. Feels like my leg/buttock is on fire.

Noticed the pain on Monday, started the anti viral drugs today, Wednesday. Please tell me the pain subsides?

Anyone here have it?

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
My husband had it recently.....see if you can get a prescription for gabapentin..it helps with nerve pain.

Scipio

To prevent shingles is why I've had the adult vaccine. No vaccine is 100% effective, so I hope it continues to work for me. And I recommend it to all others who qualify.

When I had it I asked the pharmacist and he told me burn cream/spray would help. There is also a lidocaine cream he told me would probably help, but it was like $20 so I couldn't get it.

The burn cream did help a little though.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
When I had it I asked the pharmacist and he told me burn cream/spray would help. There is also a lidocaine cream he told me would probably help, but it was like $20 so I couldn't get it.

The burn cream did help a little though.
My husband tried that with little results, it would help for a few minutes and that was it. Worth a try though if you can get it reasonably priced......remember those work from the outside in, while other meds work from the inside out.

I finally got some sleep after after 3 days of no sleep.

I don't want to trivialize more serious ailments, but the pain has being nothing I've ever experienced. Thankfully it's not as bad as it was, co-codamol has helped somewhat.

Also, it looks fecking disgusting. Doesn't help that I have trypophobia.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I finally got some sleep after after 3 days of no sleep.

I don't want to trivialize more serious ailments, but the pain has being nothing I've ever experienced. Thankfully it's not as bad as it was, co-codamol has helped somewhat.

Also, it looks fecking disgusting. Doesn't help that I have trypophobia.
My husband has a new appreciation for pain too...his case was on his head/face - right over his left eye, with eyeball involvement.....although the constant pain/tingling (he describes it as a million little critters zapping him) has diminished, he will still get sudden, severe shooting pains where he wants to rip his eyeball out....

The Gabapentin has helped with that - he gets the pains less often, and I think the severity is going down too.

Unfortunately, there is no quick cure out there, hope you find something to help you with the pain!

My husband had shingles and the doctor perscribed valacyclovir which helped. The nerve pain lasted a while but I rubbed some essential oils (Deeper and Ravintsara) and it really helped.

I've had shingles and it is awful. The faster you seek/get treatment, the easier it is to treat and the faster it goes away. You got to the doctor pretty quickly, so I hope you are better by now.

Trysha

Staff member
I had shingles over the back of my head,right side,occipital area plus the right ear and round to my right eye...the eye was not involved.
Treatment after three days misdiagnosis was valacyclovir and a drug similar to gabapentin.
I used olive oil to stop the burning and apple cider vinegar to stop the itching.
It was a very hard time till healing occurred.
It has left me with post herpetic neuralgia headaches that can be nasty but recently I have found acupuncture alleviates this...better than most drugs ...
Feel better soon....you have my greatest sympathy.
Hugs
Trysha