• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Any advice for getting through Colonoscopy prep

Having a morning colonoscopy on Thursday. Which means my prep starts tomorrow! Not food from 8am and 2 litres of moviprep.
Any advice for getting through this!!? I'm dreading it.

live in the toilet. lol
sheesh, its rough no joke. just make no plans for the day. you wont be able to leave the house. get some mags or movies or whatever to entertain yourself. buy in some wet wipes cause it can chaff after all that wiping and some baby cream in case it gets sore.
look forward to the tea and toast after. its the best meal ever.
consider having no sedation (its not as bad as you think), that way you can eat right away and walk straight out.
ju

You can eat right away and walk right out in 15 minutes with going to sleep, so I would always recommend it if available.

Is dr not letting you have chicken broth, jello or other clear liquids? I usually just read and watch TV, while drinking my stuffs and take a few naps. The last one I even went to work a few hours first morning just to kill time and keep my mind off of the food.

Yeah, this time I have out my foot down and having it done whilst I'm asleep. As last one was awfully painful due to parianal flare.
I am allowed clear liquids. Didn't know chicken broth counted.
I I definitely need to distract myself from the hunger! :(
Would you guys advice drinking it all as quick as possible?

oh god that would hurt.
personally the stuff makes me gag so drink it fast, slow, hold your nose, whatever gets it in you. good luck.
ju

There is no way I would get a colonoscopy without sedation. My doctor can always discuss the results with me after it's over and when I am awake.

Remember to take in clear liquid and stay away from anything with red, orange, purple or brown dyes. You can drink coffee and tea without milk or cream. There is this funny but helpful website called "The Great Bowel Movement" that gives some great tips for getting through prepping for a colonoscopy.

Keep hydrated - I felt like I was suffering from a bad hangover the morning before. I think I didn't drink enough fluids to make up what I was losing.

I usually have to drink 4 liters of prep liquid... So that's what I hate the most. I use a sweet orange drop in between cups of the prep liquid to get over the taste.

Other than that, wipe with some non alcoholic body lotion once in a while...

My prep does not taste bad. Two nights before I take Dulcolax tablets and start my liquid diet. The day before I take Miralax mixed in Lemon -Lime Gatorade.

I'm on moviprep. Which tastes lemony but with such a gross salty after taste. I've done my first litre!! Kept it very cold, held my nose and drank it a glass at a time with two straws. Experience was much better than last time! Think because I wasn't sipping it or letting it full my mouth.
Wired thing is. It's been over an hour since I finished it and it still hasn't gone through me... Is this normal?

having a colonscopy without sedation is do-able. I had mine with no sedative or analgesia and it was ok... painful at times but tbh, when you have been suffering blinding stomach cramps before explosive diarrhea and random stomach pain, its nothing new! (just more intense)

good luck with the prep. I found the best way to do things was to drink a few gulps of the moviprep, then immediately drink a mouthful of ginger tea, swill it round to get rid of the salt and swallow.

I'm on moviprep. Which tastes lemony but with such a gross salty after taste. I've done my first litre!! Kept it very cold, held my nose and drank it a glass at a time with two straws. Experience was much better than last time! Think because I wasn't sipping it or letting it full my mouth.
Wired thing is. It's been over an hour since I finished it and it still hasn't gone through me... Is this normal?
don't worry it will come.:eek2::eek2:

having a colonscopy without sedation is do-able. I had mine with no sedative or analgesia and it was ok... painful at times but tbh, when you have been suffering blinding stomach cramps before explosive diarrhea and random stomach pain, its nothing new! (just more intense).
My first 4 colonoscopies were done without sedatives and the last 3 with sedatives. Having a colonoscopy without being put to sleep is like having your dentist drill one of your teeth without anaestesha. And I bet noone in the West today allowsa dentist to work on his teeth without anaestesha.

Prep all done! Thankfully!
I'm starving but heading off I sleep as I have to be at the hospital for 7:30am tomorrow! Eek. Hope it goes okay.
Thank you all so much for all your advice
Xxx

I had a colonoscopy done without sedation. I have UC and they went as far as the transverse colon. it felt uncomfortable but not painful and I was very badly inflamed and bleeding through-out. I was like I needed to pass wind really bad. I thought it was cool to watch.
but if I had fistulas or fissures im sure it would be a different story and a lot more painful. they don't actually give you any pain relief, its just sedation, so you don't remember the pain but you still feel it. I wouldn't compare it to dentistry. a dentist gives you local anaesthetic and that's entirely different.
ju