• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Helminthic Therapy

Has anyone got experience and/or opinion to offer on helmintic therapy for Crohn's? Has anybody been involved in testing? It seems an appealing idea to balance the immune system better without drugs.

I previously was a patient of Dr. Weinstock's--he never mentioned his studies. However, I've done a brief overview of it in the past. To me, the negatives include (not in any particular order): 1 finding a cost efficient/proven source 2 the effects on lowering your immune system/draining additional vitamins and nutrients may vary greatly and require supplementation for energy 3 the worms have to be repopulated every 3-5 years, if I recall correctly.

I would first try LDN, personally. Good luck.

Thanks. That's very hepful, I did not want to miss a therapy which might have been proved beneficial. Of course nearly all the possible treatments, whether specifically immunosuppressive or prednisone or whatever, all seem to weaken the immune system. That's why I am managing on pentasa and a modified low-residue diet which seems to be keeping the disease at bay. What is LDN?

Regards

Paul

Has anyone got experience and/or opinion to offer on helmintic therapy for Crohn's? Has anybody been involved in testing? It seems an appealing idea to balance the immune system better without drugs.
Hi, I am just joining this thread. I have crohn's and behcet's, and have a daughter with crohn's and a son with autism. I have recently stopped humira so I could participate in a clinical trial of TSO in Portland Oregon. There are sites for this crohn's TSO trial all over the US. I have been told that they are not doing hiookworm testing because of higher incidence of anemia with hookworms. Is that true? Anyone know of a hookworm trial? I am so excited about the TSO trial--I'll keep you posted.

Hi, I am just joining this thread. I have crohn's and behcet's, and have a daughter with crohn's and a son with autism. I have recently stopped humira so I could participate in a clinical trial of TSO in Portland Oregon. There are sites for this crohn's TSO trial all over the US. I have been told that they are not doing hiookworm testing because of higher incidence of anemia with hookworms. Is that true? Anyone know of a hookworm trial? I am so excited about the TSO trial--I'll keep you posted.
Please do let me know. Humira which has stopped working and I have to take Prednisone as well. I will be moving to Imuran (which I see you are on). Good luck with the trials I do hope it works for you and therefore for many of us in future.

Hi Guys

Last post, early 2013... gosh! Things have moved on a lot since then!

To get yourselves up to date with helminthic therapy, visit the Helminthic Therapy Wiki - a collaborative, volunteer-led website documenting the science, management, experience and results of helminth replacement therapy.

There are full details of the organisms used and the companies that supply them, as well as hundreds of scientific papers, media articles and personal stories by helminthic therapy self-treaters, including lots with Crohn's disease.

Just Google "helminthictherapywiki.org".