• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gluten free begins.

I am on day 2 of my GF diet. Not just for me but for my daughter as well. So far so good. I have a few reasons to suspect gluten is bad for me. One of them being recurrent pregnancy loss. All the tests I have taken for this have come back normal, so I am on to trying new things. My daughter has a lot of bloating and gas, and sometimes constipation issues, so I hope to see this help her as well. We tried dairy free for us and that did not remedy the problem, so maybe its gluten.

I get breakthrough symptoms before my next infusion is due, and I am curious to see if GF will prevent that. So I will be on the diet for at least 8 weeks.

Good luck with the gluten free diet, its made my life a lot more bearable and I hardly get 'D' anymore. Although it is a little tricky getting enough calories.

I've got a good health food shop near me and although its expensive, there are lots of gluten free options, including stuff for kids - hopefully you're not in too much 'isolation'!

I can't stress enough for people with Crohn's to see if gluten is effecting them.

Keep us posted on the results :)

P.S Love the sweet potato!

That's really interesting because we are flirting with the idea of going gluten free, we do bits and pieces now but are considering going totally GF in the hope that it will help our son.

Please let us know how you get on.

Treena x

I am doing well so far on the diet. I have a camping trip coming up and I think it will be fun to plan a GF camp trip. We will have 1 steak and baked potato night for sure.

My DD has been asking for goldfish crackers, and its been hard to explain to her why she cant have them anymore.

I bought some over-ripe bananas to make GF banana flax muffins with. I made a batch this morning and my DD loved them. We had pot roast tonight for my DHs birthday. :)

If your kidlet is pining for goldfish crackers, you could try the Annie's Homegrown gluten free bunny crackers? I'm not sure if you have the brand available to you, but they do an awesome Mac and cheese too which the kids might appreciate. :) going gluten free was the best thing I ever did for my crohn's - if I have wheat now, i can expect "results" like clockwork now! But things have basically returned to normal, save the occasional flare (which is usually traced to fibre).
I don't know how experimental you've been with gluten free cooking, but I've been sporatically posting recipes and products on a blog - the flour recipe might be helpful for you! :). http://pantryalchemy.blogspot.com/

Wow...I have a friend with Celiac and he has been urging me to try a Gluten free diet for my Crohn's. After this last hospital visit, even my hubby mentioned it. The only reason I haven't started it is because I would have to do it just for myself, I don't see the two little ones going for it. I can try to incorporate it into their diets slowly, they don't do well to change, especially not abrupt change. I'm willing to try anything to stop the bloating and painful gas.

It's awesome to see someone try this. I decided to try for gluten free a couple of days ago and had our first GF meal tonight (spaghetti). It went down ok!

I get by ok with GF pasta, bread mix, pizza dough mix, soy sauce and worchestshire sauce. Everything else I eat is naturally gluten free. Now that I hace the soy sauce I can do GF stirfrys. I love asian food. :)

I have rice pasta which is great, but I also bought corn pasta which I have yet to try. Its a pretty golden color.

One note of advice... remember that gluten hides in more than just food. It's in makeup, hygiene products, and for your daughter's sake it's even in playdough.
If you are willing to try bread, I suggest any of the Udi's loaves. Expensive, but it's as close to real bread as you can get. If you're looking for bread with extra nutrients and high fibre, try White Sandwich Bread by Kinnikinnick.
The best corn pasta is Mrs. Leepers.

I've been Celiac for the past 8.5 years now so I definitely have tried a lot and experienced a lot.

When I get glutened, not only do I get the bloating, D, stomach pain, etc but I also get severe migraines and 'brain fog'. 'Brain fog' is having memory loss for a short period of time. I have a prime example: once when glutened I forgot the name of someone i've known my entire life :X

I am EXTREME sensitive. There is a foreign beer sold up here and it has 6ppm of gluten which is considered gluten-free in the country of origin. Pretty sure in Canada it is 3ppm. When I drink the beer with 6ppm I get ill - cramped, bloating, headache. Or, if someone uses a utensil before me, or loses a few crumbs somewhere and I eat them. All enough to make me sick for about a week!

If you have any questions about being gluten-free or want more suggestions of products, just let me know :)

Honestly the hardest part was picking a day and just doing it. You may not get it perfect at first but cutting the main starches that have gluten is a great start. Then going throught the condiments. I realize that both soy sauce and worchestershire have wheat, so I went out and found GF versions.

Meat and potato dishes, and meat and rice dishes are always easy and naturally GF so long as the seasonings dont contain it.

The hardest part is the baking. Its a little tricky, but I havent made anything I could not eat yet.

I want to give it at least a solid 3 months.

I reluctantly went gluten free four weeks ago. I was diagnosed with Crohn's in January. I have been off of dairy since March. I noticed a huge positive difference going off of dairy. Gluten has been a little more subtle, but I do notice some improvements -- heartburn has gone away, more regular BMs, less bloating. Eating at home is pretty easy. Most nights, I am "fending" for myself. The family eats dairy and gluten. Besides being ravenously jealous on pizza night, I have adjusted fairly well. I like the Udi products -- bread and muffins. Toast the bread, it is much better toasted.

I've been gluten-free since March, after a really bad obstruction/hospitalization. I'm getting to the point where I'm desperate and willing to try anything to see if it keeps me out of the hospital. I started a complete elimination diet to try to see if anything triggers my problems.

Gluten-free was really, really hard. Definitely the worst dietary alteration I've had forced on me. I'm vegetarian, which was pretty easy and so long ago (1987!) I barely remember eating meat. After Crohn's, veggies are out, which was awful. But gluten-free is the only alteration that pretty much eliminated me from most restaraunts and made everyone in my life scared to have me over for dinner. No one has had us over to eat since I became gluten-free. Even my own sister and mom make me bring my own food to family events. I had hoped it would get easier by now, but honestly it really depresses me. Eating at home is OK and I've done really well baking and substituting with gf products, gf pasta and breads are OK, I make amazing gf cookies and cupcakes, but man, I miss eating out at restaurants. I'm getting sick of the local options . . . Thai and Japanese. They're great, but what I wouldn't give to eat at my favorite pizza restaurant again . . .

Still, if I could add something back to my diet, it would still be vegetables. I could live without gluten *or* vegetables, but living without *both* is awful.

I have been gluten-free for 2 months and it has made a HUGE difference for me. Not just in my gut, but also in my mental state. I really do think there is something to that whole "brain fog" think. I think it may have to do with yeast as well (which i also eliminated). It is hard, but definitely worth it to me. I have "cheated" once or twice, and definitely noticed the difference.

As peleburrows said above, I would definitely suggest that any one with digestive problems (IBD and particularly undiagnosed) at least give it a try. I was desperate enough to do anything. If you are feeling poorly, it's definitely worth a shot.

I also have had great results going gluten free (although I have only been on the diet for a little over a month).
Here is my absolute favorite GF snack. I could live on these!
"Namaste Foods" Gluten Free Muffin Mix (16 oz, comes in a brown paper bag)
Add 4 packets of stevia and fresh blueberries to the mix. (stevia- because I am on a refined sugar free diet too, and fresh blueberries- because frozen makes the muffins soggy)
They make cake mixes too, but they aren't as good.
These are the perfect thing to grab in the morning on your way out.
Good luck with the diet everyone!

I buy this breadmix brand called Dunkernen (sp). Its really good when its fresh, and I use for toast or french toast when its not so fresh. But on the first day it almost passes as real bread.

In my head, trying GF sounds so right! I know that it is the right thing to try. But, then I look in my kitchen and just cringe because it seems like such a daunting task. I have asked about Celiac before, but doc didn't think it was worth it to test. I will keep coming here and try to talk myself into it! LOL!! Oh, and the other thing I worry about is that since I am diabetic, my sister told me that the GF flours have higher net carbs than wheat does. Does anyone know anything about that??

In my head, trying GF sounds so right! I know that it is the right thing to try. But, then I look in my kitchen and just cringe because it seems like such a daunting task. I have asked about Celiac before, but doc didn't think it was worth it to test. I will keep coming here and try to talk myself into it! LOL!! Oh, and the other thing I worry about is that since I am diabetic, my sister told me that the GF flours have higher net carbs than wheat does. Does anyone know anything about that??
If you are diabetic then I wouldn't go GF on your own, get some professional dietry advice :)

It also depends on the flour. There are things like almond flour, chickpea flour and other bean flours that have more protein than carbs.

hows the gluten free going?
i bowed out after a week and gluten free scones giving me worse heartburn then anything else. oh well it was worth a shot. Hope yours is working

I was strict about it till my birthday last week. I notice more gas and bloating when I cheat. I am going to my brothers wedding this week and I will go back to the more strict GF diet when I return from the big city.

Seeing how its going with you all and your gluten free attempts. I am now at the beginning of my third week and absolutely hate it!

Especially when it is over your birthday. The cake wasn't too bad, I just snagged some extra frosting :p

I have been gluten free for several months, and not had a flare up until just recently.
My wife and I won a pie making workshop contest with a lady from the food network, and spent the entire day eating PIE. It was sooo great! ...Until that night... I spent the entire night/morning throwing it all up.
I suspect gluten is to blame... or maybe it was glutton. I think all of the delicious pie crust messed me up pretty bad.
The doc wanted to do a dialation of the stricture, but I held him off... I have been back on the gluten free diet now for a couple of weeks (this time I am much more strict), and I feel pretty good.

It's my first day doing gluten free too :) I've decided to try it after David sent me some research about proctitis that can be caused by a reaction gluten. I'm hoping it's correct so I can heal, but hoping it's not correct so I can eat delicious gluten again.

It's not too bad because I don't appear to have a lactose or soy intolerance so I can include those things in my diet. For example, a lot of chicken and potato will be consumed and shepherds pie mmmmm yum.

My problem (one day in) is getting the information right. For example, oats or no oats? Bulgar wheat or no bulgar wheat? Couscous? Corn? Maize? I'm a bit lost. Dextrose but not dextrin? And walkers crisps that say suitable for celiacs but have wheat deritatives in them?

I want to do this properly so I know if it'll help but I'm lost. Does anyone have any safe/unsafe foods for me?

Good luck with the gluten free diet! Hope it works out. Thought to mention that withdrawals from wheat are common from what I've read. Not everyone gets them, but if you do the run down feeling should only last a few days.

Agree, It can be confusing on what to eat at times. I'd personally keep the diet simple at first, avoiding questionable foods like oats, or even corn since it can be ruff on the gut also. (at least corn is on mine) After a month if you feel better would be the time to experiment and see what you can handle.

What I personally did was to keep it easy on myself and began following a paleo/ low carb diet. They avoid wheat/gluten, plus other grains. There are many sights out there now with how to eat this way, with good culinary tips. One of my favorites is this collection created by Dr. Eenfeldt of Sweden:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/new

Hey! I feel a bit headachey, duno if that's related. Done well for sticking to it for two days I reckon :) I've done dairy free and didnt notice much difference so hopefully that doesn effect me cos gluten + dairy free would be hell lol

I found the site www.celiac.com has really conprehensive lists of all safe and unsafe ingredients. So far I'm playing it safe and staying away from processed food unless i know it's gluten free. I'm eating better than I was before as I'm not just living on pasta lol. I'll be doing it for three weeks as I then have a holiday booked where I wont be able to enjoy doing GF.

I'll let you know how it goes, hope it helps :)

I do notice when I cheat I get really gassy, so for me its worth staying GF as much as possible, just to make me a little more tolerable to be around. lol.

I am loving the rice pasta, and I dont miss bread that much.

Two days in and i havent been bloated or gassy (yum) and had solid BMs. Ironically that's a bad thing for me, but it certainly seems to be doing something. The positive results so far are keeping me motivated and the gluten free chocolate brownies I made last night almost make it worthwhile :D am also discovering many delicious ways to eat potatos, I never ate potatos much before.

That's great!
I have been eating a lot of baked potatoes too. I load them up with all kinds of things, and I love that they keep me full for quite a while.

I committed to gluten free last spring...first few days were rough, headaches and lethargy, but after that felt great. Even lost about ten pounds, which i needed. I was also dairy free at the time. I discovered though, that any complex carb is difficult for me to digest. After four resections now, I just can't digest carbs easily, the gas and bloating are debilitating. I feel better eating protein and non-starchy veggies. It is definitely not easy sticking to eating right for me as I tend to eat when I'm stressed and depressed.

It is definitely not easy sticking to eating right for me as I tend to eat when I'm stressed and depressed.
Amen to that. Comfort eating is no fun when all you have to eat is healthy food lol.

I don't know why (can anyone enlighten me?) but I don't feel as full after eating non-wheat meals. For example, I just ate a gluten free pasta bake and I'll be honest I ate quite a lot and I do feel quite full but often after eating real pasta I'd feel totally stuffed. I also feel hungry quicker after eating wheat free food.

My best guess is that the gluten free foods are not causing the gas that causes you to feel the fullness. Most gluten free pastas and breads are made of rice which is digested more quickly than wheat pasta. Really, I am not an expert, just based upon what I've read about carbs in general.

I've been on GF since Friday of last week, and it's far more challenging than the low-residue. It's amazing to discover how much of your diet contains gluten. Most of the things I was eating before I can't have now. Disappointingly, I've yet to see a difference in my symptoms.

interesting to see so many of you being GF. It's hard, but if i can do it for 8.5 years im sure you guys could too :).
Oats is questionable depending on country and source; even then, only small amounts are acceptable.
Gluten hides everywhere! It's annoying sometimes to need to read each and every label but it's worth it.
Bloating is no fun, but i can tell you when i get glutened i gas up and bloat up and get the diarrhea and migraines. When im REALLY glutened its like an IBD flare with blood and mucous. i actually read somewhere that Celiac is in the IBD family.
if any of you have questions about where to find info on GF feel free to ask me :)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.625313,-102.434097

Hi everyone,
Thought I would report back on my progress.
I have been gluten-free for over 7 months now and it has given me my life back.
Not sure if this will do the trick for everyone, but it's a very good starting point in my opinion. Every time I cheat and eat gluten or beef, I feel really sluggish and my stomach gets very noisy- reminding me of the early warning signs of a flare.
Gluten-free is a hard thing for a foodie to follow, but totally worth it. I feel great!

I went gluten-free for 6 weeks over Christmas and only got worse. I also eliminated dairy, soy, egg, potatoes and sugar over that time. It wasn't easy, but I stuck to it. Unfortunately, diet seems to have no effect on my Crohn's. I was shocked.

Hey guys I'm in yalls boat too I was diagnosed with crohns and celiac not too long ago and I'm following the gluten free diet too! I already can tell a difference in my bowel movements as well as brain. I agree with the brain fog being connected to the food, I wouldnt be surprised if my crohns came about because of the celiac! I wish you guys luck in being GF! :thumright:

I had my first consult with a Naturopath yesterday & she going to test me for food sensitivities...mainly gluten. I'm dreading it :( I love love love my carbs to death. They are my saviour when I have a flare up, so I don't think I have a sensitivity to gluten, but who knows!!

I guess one good thing about being GF is you don't have to worry so much about weight gain?? I noticed I am actually a bit underweight and I hope to use some whey protein to bulk up!

Interesting post.
I'm a long time crohny.
After 4 surgeries I had to try something suggested by a friend and NOT my doctors.
I went gluten free a month ago. Eating fruits, salads, nuts, red meat and a lots of other things I had heard were bad for crohns. (maybe bad in a flared state) Results were fast. I had good digestion and regularity. And for the first time in years, solid stool! Had a couple waffles last week and felt awful that night and must have shit diareha 15 times the next day. Back to Gluten free. So far, so good. Saw my doc today and mentioned this. He ordered a blood test for celiac. Duh. What took you so long. Currently on methotrexate. My gastro doc and I'm sure abott lab want to put me on humira. Think I'll hold off on the humira and continue gluten free for now. Maybe cut out the meth later.
I do take folic acid, for the meth. Multi vitiman, D-2, iron and fish oil.
I'll post the results of the celiac blood test when I know.

Catherine

The blood test for celiac should only be done eating gluten for 6 weeks prior, otherwise you can get false negetive.

Thanks Catherine,
You are right. I told the Dr. I was glutten free. He ordered the blood test anyway.
!@#$ Brilliant!
Gary