• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

LDN Fillers and composition before I begin...

Hi guys,

Well I got my first 60 capsules of LDN. The filler that is being used is is Avicel, NOT acidophilous. Is this OK?

I know Acidophilous is used by the body to promote immunity and proper nutrition, whereas Avicel is not absorbed into the system, and will not interfere or interact with other nutrients, vitamins or minerals.

And finally, I just had an ACL knee reconstruction and as known, steroid use will affect ligament repair and growth, therefore I would like to know the pure breakdown of LDN and its ingredients to ensure that it does not contain anything that may hinder my knee rehab. Even though its not a steriod per say.

Thanks.

Avicel is plant cellulose, its fiber. If you have trouble eating vegetables then it might cause a problem but I doubt it.

LDN is not a steroid, its an opiate receptor antagonist, so it only interferes with certain pain meds

Thanks for the reply guys. I agree, Avicel cellulose will not have an effect on me, but should I be using an Acidophilous filler instead, since its a pro-biotic? I know a filler is meant to be null, but it seems some people are having better luck with an acidophilous filler. I might give it a go next time.

Anyways, I have begun the treatment! Lets see how we go.

Fou

Weaning off Azathioprine

Hi D Bergy, I have heard that you are quite knowledgable about low dose naltrexone. I am waiting for my prescription to arrive in the post and hope to start this treatment soon. The only thing is, I am on 150 mg of azathioprine and I am not sure how to wean myself of it. My doctor is not sure how to go about this and thinks that it will be a bad idea to just stop taking it in one go, as I have had problems with bleeding in the past. He wants me to start taking LDN at a dose of 1 mg (to start with), while reducing the Azathioprine to 100 mg. Although he has told me that I am unlikely to see any improvement while I am on the azathioprine, he thinks that this is the best way to wean me off it. He isn't very optomistic that LDN will work as he thinks that once you have been on conventional drug therapy (i.e. azathioprine, infliximab) that it is virtually impossible to make the transistion as it will be too traumatic for my body. He thinks that if I do not reduce the azathioprine slowly over the period of a few weeks/months, I will have a relapse with bleeding and all the works. At the moment my symptoms are not too bad as I have been on an elemental diet for the past 6 weeks, so I hope that the transition won't be too bad. Do you have any advice on this matter? If you do I would greatly appreciate it.

He sounds like he has a plan, and I would try it out his way.

He may be correct that it is going to be a bear to make the switch.

When you think about it, the immune suppresants have allowed who knows how many pathogens to survive by lowering the immune response. Now you are essentially reversing that process.

Healing crisis is what it is often called, and you are likely in for one. I hope you can ride it out, and that it does work for you at some point in the future.

I am sure you will have some problems. Most people do in the beginning.

Good luck

Dan

Just an updateon fillers.

I know that there has been a lot of support here for LDN with an acidophilus filler. I have spoken with numerous compounding pharmacists to try and get hold of an acidophilous filler with all mentioning that it would be extremely difficult to do so, and to deliver. Most recommended taking VSL#3 along with LDN.
Please keep in mind that Acidophilus only survives within a certain temperature range. Therefore using an acidophilus filler will not be effective if the probiotic is not within its required temp to survive, rendering the filler useless as the good bacteria would be dead.

Fou

Combining LDN with immune suppressants/steroids

Hi D Bergy, I have heard that you are quite knowledgable about low dose naltrexone. I am waiting for my prescription to arrive in the post and hope to start this treatment soon. The only thing is, I am on 150 mg of azathioprine and I am not sure how to wean myself of it. My doctor is not sure how to go about this and thinks that it will be a bad idea to just stop taking it in one go, as I have had problems with bleeding in the past. He wants me to start taking LDN at a dose of 1 mg (to start with), while reducing the Azathioprine to 100 mg. Although he has told me that I am unlikely to see any improvement while I am on the azathioprine, he thinks that this is the best way to wean me off it. He isn't very optomistic that LDN will work as he thinks that once you have been on conventional drug therapy (i.e. azathioprine, infliximab) that it is virtually impossible to make the transistion as it will be too traumatic for my body. He thinks that if I do not reduce the azathioprine slowly over the period of a few weeks/months, I will have a relapse with bleeding and all the works. At the moment my symptoms are not too bad as I have been on an elemental diet for the past 6 weeks, so I hope that the transition won't be too bad. Do you have any advice on this matter? If you do I would greatly appreciate it.
It is perfectly acceptable to use LDN while on azathioprine, the only thing you can't use in combination with LDN is opiates (pain killers). I myself have taken LDN with prednisone for my IBD and it worked much better in combination than when taking steroids without LDN. I have also taken LDN with mesalazine and sulfasalazine in the past. Now I just take LDN. If I was you, I'd start taking LDN asap whilst you're tapering off azathioprine. I checked all this with a couple of LDN 'savvy' Drs and all agree. At one time it was believed you couldn't take LDN with steroids or any other immune suppressants, however we're learning all the time. Dr Ian Zagon (founder/researcher of LDN) has always stated this by the way. If I was you I'd have no hesitation in starting LDN asap, it certainly didn't do me any harm. Best of luck!