• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

When did you give birth?

I'm 19 weeks pregnant and have an active decease right now. My crohns got worse after i got pregnant. So I'm worried about preterm labor and wish to know when other moms with an active crohns gave birth.

Hi paxifaxi, I can't answer your question, but I'm really interested in the answers as well. Good luck with your pregnancy!

Hi paxifaxi, congratulations on your pregnancy, It can be really tough balancing crohn's and pregnancy, I became very dehydrated at 18 weeks on my first and told my doc, he took my word straight away and kept me in for a few days for IV fluids, that put me back on track till week 30 when the baby dropped into position and I had to take a course of pred to stop flare getting out of control, they scanned me at 36weeks and said the baby was very small and not where it should be on the scale and that I should prepare myself for an emergency c-sect but I went into labour at 36wk5days and delivered a 5 lb13oz girl in a normal delivery.
Then Baby number 2 two years later and managed to get again to week 30, baby drops I have the start of another flare so a course of pred and a scan at 36weeks and guess what YOUR BABY'S WAY TOO BIG or there's too much fluid and prepare for a emergency c-sect, baby number 2 born 37wks and 4days a healthy 6 lb 13oz.
Moral of my story, stay hydrated as much as you can, ask for IV fluids if you think you need them, eat well, rest as much as you can and don't panic when it comes to their interpretation of the scans they got it wrong twice for me and put the heart crossways in me.
Can I ask what meds you are on and has your doc suggested pred?
Sending you a big hug and take good care of yourself, let me know how you get on.
Gwen xxx

Good luck Jenn with your pregnancy, It's fun times ahead!!! my two are 3 1/2 and 17months and do they keep me on my toes, but it's a wonder time.
Gwen xxx

I have two girls one was a week early and one was a week late. I had crohns at the time but did not know it - was not on any meds. My crohns was at its best throughout my pregnancies. Good luck with your pregnancy! Let us know how it goes.

It's crazy how often the estimates are WAY off with the ultrasound weight and size estimates. I've heard so many people say the doctor said it was a 9 lb plus baby and it ended up being a perfectly normal sized baby! My doctor keeps telling me my son (hehehe that tickles me to say!!) is measuring large based on my fundal height. We'll see I guess!

My Crohn's flared throughout my pregnancy, and then I had preeclampsia at the end of it. My doctor said she'd induce me at 38 weeks, but at 37 weeks and 2 days my water broke. My son was considered full term.

It's crazy how often the estimates are WAY off with the ultrasound weight and size estimates. I've heard so many people say the doctor said it was a 9 lb plus baby and it ended up being a perfectly normal sized baby! My doctor keeps telling me my son (hehehe that tickles me to say!!) is measuring large based on my fundal height. We'll see I guess!
They can be way off in either way. When I was pregnant, I had an ultrasound the day before my water broke, and the estimate was that my son weighed 6 pounds, 3 oz. He was born 3 days later and he weighed 4 pounds, 15 oz.

Same here, the week before my daughter was born, the ultrasound estimated she was 8 lbs 13 oz. She was 7 lbs 8 oz when she was born.

I had my daughter right at 37 weeks. I had a planned c-section for the week before my due date, but ended up with cholangitis and pancreatitis and had to deliver her early. I flared throughout my entire pregnancy.

My disease was active before I got preggers....I was put on Prednisone, which made me feel well enough to have sex, and whoopsie! :) Best whoopsie ever though. Anyways, I stayed on the pred for about ten weeks, (Including weaning off), then things were great the rest of the pregnancy. I was quite lucky, and the hormones stemmed my problems off until 6m into breastfeeding. I delivered at 39 weeks via emergency c-section....She was footling breech and my water broke.