• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fruitarian

i am thinking of going fruitarian but i need to know what vitamins tablets i need to take plus i cant have, chicken and i m not sure about fish so i need protien from somewhere
oh and is fish slippery in the digestive system?

nogutsnoglory

So you basically want to be a vegan without the grains? Fruitarians wouldn't eat any animal protein. Are you looking to eat fish, dairy, egg?

The more you restrict the harder it will be but if you eliminate all animal protein and grain you are mainly left with nuts, seeds and beans as a primary protein source.

Why are you considering this diet? I hope you will supplement and ensure you are getting b12, iron, vit D3, zinc and folate. You may also need protein supplements if you don't eat a full varied protein diet with all amino acids.

basicalli mi stomach cant digest hard food i get cramps but when i eat fruits i m k i m not becoming a vegan just want to eat which dosent cause my stomach problem :)

nogutsnoglory

Have you been diagnosed with IBD? What medication if any are you taking? Is your doctor aware of the cramping with food?

kiny

there's no bioavailable B12 in plants or fruits, you need animal products or supplements to get it

basicalli mi stomach cant digest hard food i get cramps but when i eat fruits i m k i m not becoming a vegan just want to eat which dosent cause my stomach problem :)
many people find that the ability to digest foods increases ALOT after a short period on the Paleo/SCD diet.

try it for 30 days (starting on the Intro diet - google it) and you will probably be able to handle some foods that you previously couldn't

I would be cautious about going the fruitarian route. From what I understand, Actor Ashton Kutcher recently went on fruitarian diet in preparation for his role playing Steve Jobs of Apple -- and ended up in severe gastrointestinal pain as a result. Apparently doing so also severely effected insulin levels in his pancreas -- and Steve Jobs, who was a fruitarian, died of pancreatic cancer.

Everyone's system is different though and works for one, doesn't necessarily work for another--and vice versa.