Share Facebook

01-28-2016, 10:02 AM   #1741
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 1/28/16: I just realized I wrote the date as 2015 instead of 16 yesterday. Whoops! That's Cat's brain on a migraine for you.

Fortunately the migraine is much improved today. I'd say I'm feeling about 75% better. There's still a little bit of lingering head pain and sinus pressure, but nothing like what it was yesterday. So, I'm planning to hit the gym today! I feel like I can do a workout today and I'm excited for it. Not planning any future workouts just yet, going to see how I do today and go from there. I am hoping to go ice skating sometime soon, but the weather might actually be too warm! It's supposed to get up to 40 degrees F this weekend! That's warm enough to melt the ice or at least make everything really sloppy. Sooo, my skates might have to wait until it cools down a bit which is a weird thing to say in late January!
01-28-2016, 05:53 PM   #1742
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Another quick update for today: I did go to the gym. It felt very good! I almost didn't go. About an hour beforehand, my migraine got a bit worse and my stomach started acting up. I wasn't sure if I should skip the gym or not. I decided, screw it, I'm going anyway! So I went, and fortunately that was a good decision. My head feels a lot better now. My stomach, well, it's about the same. But overall I felt good and energetic and strong in the gym, and my mood was greatly lifted. I really needed that.

Tomorrow, the weather looks decent and I'm thinking I'll be bringing my ice skates to work with me. If my body and the weather both cooperate, then I'll go ice skating on my lunch break. That's the tentative plan! I'm looking forward to it!
01-29-2016, 06:10 PM   #1743
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 1/29/16: What a week! I'm so glad it's almost over. Lots of work stress, plus the migraine that I got on Wednesday (I can still feel a little remnant of it but it's mostly gone now), and then this morning I gushed blood out my nose like crazy. It was very odd. I got to work, sat down at my desk, blew my nose... and, just, out of nowhere, blood went everywhere. It spewed across my desk and onto my leggings (thank goodness I was wearing black!). It looked like a crime scene. I went through about 30 tissues trying to staunch the bleeding - kleenex after kleenex kept getting saturated with blood. It was crazy! The worst nosebleed I've ever had, and I have no idea why it happened. Granted, I have had a lot of sinus issues, and the migraine messed up my sinuses more than usual, so I've been blowing my nose more than usual, and the winter air is very dry. But that doesn't seem like enough of a reason for my nose to gush blood for like 10 minutes. It was super weird and a bit scary. Fortunately I finally got the bleeding stopped, and it hasn't come back so far (I've been super careful about my nose all day!). Ridiculous, though. If I'm not bleeding out my ass then I'm apparently going to be bleeding out some other hole! Ugh.

So, in spite of my nose, I went ice skating today anyway and that went fine. I went to a local outdoor rink - there's one near my workplace that I can easily get to on my lunch break. I skated for about 40 minutes. Last time I skated, I just felt stronger and stronger, like I could keep skating forever. This time was much more typical for me: a lot of ankle and shin soreness and just general shakiness for the first 10ish minutes, then I gradually got stronger and at one point felt really good and fast for about 5 minutes, then the muscle fatigue and the cold set in and I went back to shaky and weak and in danger of falling. That's normal for me so it wasn't annoying. My muscles can only take so much of being out in the cold before they decide they're done. That unfortunately often coincides with about 5-10 minutes after I'm fully warmed up and comfortable on the ice and skating well. I get very limited time to skate well and feel good on the ice. I'm hoping, though, that the more I skate, the more comfortable I'll get and the better quality skate time I'll have. I can only improve from here, right?

I don't think I'll get back on the ice in the near future, unfortunately. It's supposed to be warm this weekend (up to 40 degrees F with some rain) so that'll thaw the ice rinks to the point that they'll likely close for awhile. And then on Tuesday, we're supposed to get a blizzard with possibly up to a foot of snow, lovely. Can't skate on top of 12 inches of snow so then I'll have to wait for the snow to be cleared off of the local ice rinks and I'm sure they'll have to re-do the surface of the ice as well, so at this point it's looking like no skating for me for the next week. Although I may do some snowshoeing after the blizzard! So we'll see. I am thinking I'll likely just be indoors in the gym for my fitness endeavors for the next week or so. I'm fine with being indoors to lift weights, that never bothers me, but on cardio days, I get cabin fever really easily when I'm stuck on the stationary bike. Pedaling to nowhere with no fresh air and no change in scenery is absolute dullsville. I know I need cardio, but just ugh. That's why I'm thinking of snowshoeing because then at least I'll be outdoors!
02-01-2016, 11:25 AM   #1744
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 2/1/16: Had a bit of a rough weekend. My parents came down on Saturday and there's always a lot of eating when they're around. We went to a chocolate shop, then out to lunch, and later we went to a winery for a tasting. I had I think a bit too much wine and food, my stomach wasn't super happy with me and I had an episode of rectal bleeding that evening. Sunday, I woke up feeling all wrong in my head. It felt like my migraine was coming back, probably a result of the wine and/or chocolate. So I didn't do anything active either weekend day because I overdid the eating and drinking on Saturday. I needed Sunday to be a rest/recovery day.

Today I'm feeling better-ish. Not great but not as bad as I was yesterday. Stomach is a bit iffy but my head feels mostly okay and I can tell I have a decent amount of energy. So, I'm going to hit the gym for weights on my lunch break today. Hopefully my stomach will be okay with that.

Tomorrow, we're supposed to get a snowstorm with likely 5-8 inches of snow in total. I'm not sure exactly what I'll be doing - if work closes early/opens late/closes for the full day, then I'll help hubby shovel at some point. If work is open as normal then I'm obviously not going to go out on my lunch break, so in that case I'll make it a cardio/stretching day. Likely will do about 20-30 mins on the stationary bike and then do some good stretching afterwards. So, it all depends on what the storm does and what my workplace decides to do, but either way I'll be doing something active.
02-01-2016, 03:42 PM   #1745
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Another quick update for today: I almost didn't go to the gym. My migraine started to sneak back in and my guts got a little more unsettled. But I was determined to go, so I went in spite of my head and stomach. I'm so glad I did, I feel a lot better now. My head feels fine and my guts are calmer. And I just have that "Ahhhh!" feeling that you get right after a workout, like I feel refreshed and just good. It's a hard feeling to describe. Anyway, long story short, I almost didn't go but I'm very glad I did. Sometimes I need to remind myself that the gym is my happy place and that that is true even on not so great days. The gym can make a "meh" day into a better day.
02-02-2016, 06:11 PM   #1746
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 2/2/16: I hit the stationary bike for a short cardio session today. It was more difficult than I thought - my guts and head were okay, but my hemorrhoids were not so happy. I definitely had some anal/rectal discomfort, but I seem to be okay now. I only did 20 mins on the bike because I didn't want to aggravate the hemmies too much.

Tomorrow, the plan is to hit the gym again for weights. I'm tentatively thinking of going ice skating on Thursday, if the local outdoor rink is open. It's currently raining (!!) so the ice conditions may not be good, as everything is currently melty and slushy. We'll see. Hoping for another weights session on Friday. Haven't gotten as far as the weekend yet, trying not to get too far ahead of myself.
02-03-2016, 04:18 PM   #1747
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 2/3/16: I hit the little gym for weights today. That went mostly fine. I had some abdominal discomfort during my warm-up, specifically in my LRQ (which is where my main "pain spot" has always been). It was disconcerting, I haven't had LRQ pain in a little while (I suspect I'm in remission, my main issue lately has been hemorrhoids but I don't seem to have active inflammation/symptoms related to the IBD). Fortunately, as soon as I got warmed up, the LRQ pain went away and stayed away. I've been feeling slightly backed up today - have had some rectal pressure like I have to go but then nothing comes out, so I'm slightly constipated I guess - so I am presuming the LRQ discomfort was just related to that.

Other than the brief LRQ discomfort, my workout went fine. I'm thinking that I won't go ice skating tomorrow - it looks like the outdoor rinks will still be closed due to poor conditions, and I am feeling like I'm in need of a rest day anyway. My quads felt tired and a bit sore today during my workout, so I know it's best to let them rest. Still planning to hit the gym on Friday again for weights - and, now that it's no longer January, the New Year resolutioners should be pretty much cleared out and I could actually go to the big gym again! I'm thinking I'll bring hubby with me (he never goes to the gym voluntarily, I always have to drag him along with me) and we'll make an evening of it. We'll have a nice workout and then pick up dinner afterwards. The big gym is usually quite empty on Friday evenings so that should be nice.
02-05-2016, 10:01 AM   #1748
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 2/5/16: Yesterday was a rest day, as planned. I had good energy but I knew that my muscles needed to heal - I probably could have done a workout, but I knew the wise thing to do was rest.

Today I'm headed to the big gym with hubby in the evening. We haven't been there in awhile so that'll be nice. I'm going to have a nice, long, thorough weights session and then have a nice dinner afterwards. It's been a super stressful week at work and a nice workout sounds like just the thing I need to end the week.
02-05-2016, 06:31 PM   #1749
Eridon2002

My Support Groups:
Hi Cat! Is "the big gym" the Princeton Club? When I lived in Madison(back in 2005) I went there and loved that gym, it's huge
02-06-2016, 10:02 AM   #1750
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Hi Cat! Is "the big gym" the Princeton Club? When I lived in Madison(back in 2005) I went there and loved that gym, it's huge
No, although I belonged there for a year about 10 years ago (probably right around the same time as you, actually!). Yeah, that place is intimidatingly huge (the west side one was anyway, I never went to the east side - I'm a west/south sider). I belong to Planet Fitness now, mainly because of the price (it was something like $75 per month for the hubby and I to belong to the Princeton Club, and it's only $10 per person per month to belong to PF). I refer to it as the big gym mainly because I don't want to constantly name-drop the place as that's weird, plus there's a little gym in the basement of my workplace, so in comparison PF is quite large. So yeah, those are my two main gyms these days - a little free gym at work, and PF. I also have a home gym in my guest bedroom, but I prefer working out in a gym environment as I can focus better (too many distractions at home).
02-06-2016, 10:45 AM   #1751
Eridon2002

My Support Groups:
Princeton Club was pricey. So funny, I went to the west side one as well. Small world
02-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #1752
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 2/8/16: I had an active weekend. Went to the big gym with hubby on Friday evening. It was more crowded there than I expected - usually it's dead quiet as soon as the weekend hits, but there were a fair number of people there this time. It wasn't too bad though, because I was able to use every piece of equipment I wanted, in the order I wanted to, without having to wait for anything to open up. Can't ask for much more than that! That workout felt really good. I felt strong and I really pushed myself and did a lot. I even did a plank at the end and my guts/GERD didn't punish me for it.

Saturday, we walked the dog. It was kind of cold out but it was nice to get outside for a little while. We walked by a local creek and saw some ducks (my dog loves ducks, she will just sit and watch them but will not chase nor bark). It was nice to get out even though it was cold and overcast.

Sunday, hubby and I went back to the big gym for another weights workout. This time, I was still a bit sore from pushing myself so hard on Friday! So it was definitely a tougher workout. Once again, the gym was busier than I had hoped, and this time around I did have to change up the order of what I did because a few times some of the machines were taken when I wanted to use them. There was one guy in particular who was really hogging the assisted chin-up bar, and there's only one of those so it's super annoying when someone is doing a bunch of sets on it. I did get to eventually use it though so it was fine in the end.

Today I'm slightly sore but not bad. Still, I think today should be a rest day just to make sure I don't injure myself. Tomorrow, I have an all-day meeting at work but hubby expressed interest in going to the gym after work, so hopefully that will work out. I'm mainly concerned about when I eat vs when I work out - ideally, with my GERD, I have a substantial snack/small meal (usually oatmeal) about 2 hours before going to the gym. That seems to be the best system for me. But since it's a work meeting, lunch is at a set time, and it's looking like it'll be about 4 hours between when I eat and when I can go home and head to the gym. So I'm not quite sure about that. I am thinking that I will pack myself some food and sneak out of the meeting in the early afternoon and scarf down my snack a couple hours before the end of the meeting. That might work out best. I don't want to go too long between eating and working out, because then my energy levels are bad - 4 hours between eating and exercising is just too long. But I can't eat and then go work out right away or my GERD will go nuts - 2 hours seems to be the golden time, I'm not starving and my energy is good and my GERD is also happy with that. I have to time things just right. So hopefully I can manage to eat at the right time tomorrow so that I can hit the gym right after the meeting. I'm going to make every effort to do so. And if my boss sees that I've packed a bag of food, I will just remind her that, with my various fun digestive issues (IBD and GERD), that I feel safer packing my own food especially when I don't know what is going to be on the menu for lunch.

So yeah, long story short, today is a rest day, tomorrow big gym for weights. Wednesday, maybe cardio - I'm thinking stationary bike in the little gym. Thursday will likely be weights again. Hubby's currently furloughed from his job for at least the next week, so I'm dragging him to the gym with me every chance I get (and he's actually appearing to enjoy that), so likely we'll go to the big gym after work on Thurs. Friday, probably another rest day. I'm betting Saturday will be another weights day. Haven't planned things out further than that yet.
02-10-2016, 10:11 AM   #1753
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 2/10/16: I did hit the gym yesterday. Almost talked myself out of it. I had to go to a work meeting all morning and part of the afternoon, I was helping run the meeting so I had to get there quite early to help set up. I was running around like crazy all morning, I got over 3,000 steps on my fitbit before the meeting even started! I was sure I'd exhaust myself from everything that had to be done for the meeting, plus I wasn't sure about the food situation. I had neglected to pack myself some safe food so I was at the mercy of what was served and when it was served. Fortunately, there was a lot of safe food in the lunch - rice, pasta salad, bread, baked chicken. Oh, and chocolate cake. So I sort of stuffed myself with food, most of it carbs.

The meeting ended an hour earlier than anticipated, which meant I got out of there at a quite reasonable time. I was actually still a bit full from lunch when I got home! But I had decent energy and was feeling okay. Hubby still wanted to go to the gym, so we waited for an extra half hour or so for my lunch to further digest, then we headed to the gym. That went great! I felt really strong and energetic. You know those days in the gym where the weights don't feel quite so heavy and there's extra pep in your step? Like you just feel strong and good and pumped. That was my workout yesterday, it was wonderful. I felt really strong the whole way through.

Today's just a light cardio day in the little gym on my lunch break. I pushed myself yesterday so I'm going to relax a bit today and just do an easy light cardio session. I'm thinking I'll do about 15-20 mins on the stationary bike, then some good stretching. Tomorrow hubby and I are headed back to the big gym for weights again. Friday will probably be a rest day, and Saturday I think I'm going to the big gym by myself (hubby is having some friends over that day to play some dumb game, they always play stuff like dungeons & dragons which is so not my style, so I avoid hubby and his friends and do my own thing). Hubby says that he still wants to go to the gym every other day though, so it's possible he'll work out a schedule with his friends so that he can either go to the gym early or late in the day. At any rate, I'm definitely hitting the gym on Saturday, with or without him.
02-11-2016, 04:22 PM   #1754
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 2/11/16: I hit the little gym yesterday and just did 15 mins on the stationary bike. I've been feeling for a couple days like I might be developing yet another hemorrhoid (ugh) so I didn't push it as I was already having some anorectal discomfort. Fortunately that went fine, if I do have a new hemmie it hasn't bled (yet) so I didn't overdo things on the bike yesterday.

Today I'm kind of exhausted - haven't slept well all week. I seem to fall asleep okay but can't seem to stay asleep. I wake up a lot during the night with weird dreams in between, I can't seem to just get a good chunk of rest. Last night I woke up at 1 something in the morning, then I fell asleep and had a dream that I was paying bills. Apparently even in my dreams my financial situation is grim, hah. Then I woke up at 4 something and when I fell back asleep, I dreamed that I was making salt pork with a pioneer woman (???). I don't even eat pork and in this day and age we have refrigerators so I don't know why my dream felt like I needed to dream about salt pork. So odd. Can't I just have a nice dream where things are happy? Must I always be doing chores in my dreams?

At any rate, even though I'm kind of exhausted, I feel like I can still do a workout. I have had some rectal pressure but no pain today, so maybe the hemmie is healing? I'm still on the steroid suppositories (probably a big reason why I can't sleep well these days) so the steroids should be healing whatever's going on in there. I haven't bled and no pain, so I can do a workout with some rectal pressure and some tiredness. I won't push myself too much, but I will do what I can. Heading to the big gym with hubby in a couple hours.

Tomorrow's a rest day and thank goodness, I just hope I can get some sleep. And not dream about bills or pork! Other people have cool dreams where they're flying or whatever, I have boring or just plain stupid dreams.
02-15-2016, 10:29 AM   #1755
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 2/15/16: I did do a workout in the big gym on Thursday. It was super crazy crowded in the gym that evening for some reason. So I had to shuffle up the order of my workout, I just jumped on whatever machine was open. I did get to do everything that I wanted to do, and I felt quite good. Friday, it was originally going to be a rest day but it was so cold out that I didn't want to leave the building on my lunch break. So, I just walked on the treadmill for my entire lunch hour. That went fine.

Saturday I went to the big gym around noon for a workout. Fortunately it wasn't very crowded that day. I was able to do everything that I wanted in the order that I wanted with only one exception (some ladies were hogging the assisted chin up bar but I eventually got to use it once they were finally done). I felt quite good. I also took myself off of the steroid suppositories on Saturday - hoping that my anorectal region is healed enough that I can be off of the steroids for awhile. And if things go downhill again, I'll go back on the steroids. My GI encouraged me to try to get off of them for awhile at least, though, so that's what I'm doing. I see a colorectal surgeon next week so hopefully she will have some better ideas about how to heal and not get any further bleeding hemmies.

Sunday, it snowed all day so we ended up shoveling once it was finally done snowing. It was light and fluffy snow so it wasn't very difficult to shovel. I had a headache all day but the activity of shoveling seemed to help. Other than shoveling, I really didn't do anything active, it was essentially a rest day. I mostly did stuff around the house and some crafts (sewing and crocheting).

Today my head still hurts a bit but not too bad. I can definitely do a workout today, so I'm heading down to the little gym on my lunch break for weights. Hubby is also keeping up with doing a weights workout every other day - he worked out at home on Saturday and is also working out at home today (for some reason, he refuses to go to the actual gym without me, but he's okay with working out at home by himself - he's weird sometimes). So we'll both do our separate workouts today. Tomorrow I'm thinking cardio - if the weather holds up, I'm hoping to go ice skating. It's looking to be a bit warm, though (in the mid 30s F) so the outdoor ice rink might melt a bit, I'm not sure how good the ice conditions will be. I'm going to just keep an eye on things (my city is good about posting online updates as to which outdoor rinks are open or closed and what the ice conditions are like). If I can't skate, I'll probably just do a stationary bike session. I'm also thinking I'll head to the big gym for weight with hubby on Weds and Fri evenings, and probably a rest day on Thurs. That's the plan for now.
02-16-2016, 11:22 AM   #1756
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 2/16/16: After two whole days of being off of the steroid suppositories, I'm right back on them. Ugh. Had a bad episode of d last night and I felt that old familiar pressure and pain in my rectum, plus some upper abdominal pain (which I seem to get when I have a hemorrhoid? No idea why). No bleeding yet but it was definitely headed in that direction. I emailed my GI to let him know I'm back on the steroids. Wish I could just get these stupid rectal issues cleared up, this has been going on for over a year now. Ugh.

So I'm not great today, but I'm determined to go ice skating anyway. My local rink is open, the weather looks okay, and I'm going to go skate on my lunch break. My rectum feels a bit better this morning than it did last night, so I'm encouraged.

Still planning to do weights tomorrow. However, hubby works (he's been on furlough for a couple weeks but he's finally going back tomorrow - he also is looking for a better job) so I'm going to hit the little gym on my lunch break and he's going to work out at home before he works (he doesn't go in until noon). I'm not sure what his work schedule will be the rest of the week - he's going to talk to his boss tomorrow and find out - so I'm not sure when we'll next get to go to the big gym together. We're still both doing our workouts though which is the important thing.
02-16-2016, 03:59 PM   #1757
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Another quick update for today: I went ice skating and that went really well. It was actually snowing quite a bit the whole time I was out, so when I got to the ice rink there was a thin layer of snow on the ice. That made me nervous, because I couldn't really see where the defects or bumps were in the ice (since it's an outdoor rink, there tends to be a lot more defects than an indoor rink with a zamboni would have). Fortunately though, the ice under the snow was nice and smooth, I only came across one little dip that made me lose my balance for a second, but I didn't fall. I felt really strong and good the whole time, I'm definitely getting more confidence on the ice. I even thought about trying some front crossovers today - I didn't, as I want to play it really safe (don't want to injure myself before I go to Japan in 5 weeks!) but I felt like I could have done it.

I forgot to mention this earlier but I'm getting a massage tonight. That will be nice. Hopefully it helps my intermittent pain - I've had some tightness and pain behind my left shoulder blade these past couple of weeks. It's not always there, but sometimes it definitely makes itself known. It feels like, there must be a tendon or ligament that runs alongside or behind the shoulderblade? It feels like that is really tight and that's what's causing the pain. So we'll see, hopefully the massage helps.
02-17-2016, 04:26 PM   #1758
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 2/17/18: I had a good massage last night. My massage therapist is also a family friend, so he makes house calls and charges a reduced rate which is awesome. Sometimes, though, the day after a massage, I feel very sore and tender like I've been beat up. Fortunately I feel fine today, no beat up feeling. And my shoulderblade feels fine too.

I hit the little gym on my lunch break today and that went fine. My left knee (the bad one) was giving me some pain last night after ice skating, I was even awoken once in the night with knee pain. But fortunately the knee feels fine today. And, I'm back on the steroid suppositories for at least a couple of months. I'm going to Japan for most of the month of April, and I expressed to my GI that I want to feel as well as possible during my trip. So I emailed him yesterday letting him know that I had a difficult time coming off of the steroid suppositories, and he said that I can stay on the suppositories until after I get back from my trip - then we'll re-assess. So that's great, that's the outcome I was hoping for. I feel much more confident now that I'll be well and relatively pain and symptom-free (and hemorrhoid-free!) through my trip. I kind of have a love-hate relationship with steroids (who doesn't?) because they make me gain weight and disrupt my sleep and all that, but honestly they've helped me so much and the pros definitely do outweigh the cons. Yay steroids!
02-19-2016, 09:57 AM   #1759
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 2/19/16: Wow, did I put the year as 18 on my last update? I am losing my mind. Just kidding, my mind was already lost years ago.

Yesterday was a rest day. I had been halfway thinking about going ice skating again, but the weather has warmed up significantly (temps in the 40s/50s F) so my city has closed all the outdoor ice rinks "until further notice" and I'm guessing they won't reopen. The weather already feels like spring, it sure doesn't seem like we'll get more weather that's cold enough to sustain outdoor ice rinks. So my skating season is abruptly over, it seems.

Today I'm heading to the big gym with hubby after work for a weights session. Tomorrow, I'm thinking I'll take my dog on a walk - supposed to be more spring-like weather tomorrow. The dog park will surely be very muddy (what little snow we had is all melting now and everything is just one giant puddle outside). So we'll stick to walking on the bike path instead. I'm shifting my thoughts away from ice skating and towards bicycling, on that note. This probably won't happen, but I'm toying with the idea of riding my bike to the gym on Sunday for a bike-weights-bike session. It's very windy today and supposed to be windy tomorrow as well, but Sunday it looks like the wind will have died down a fair bit. So it's possible that I'll do a bike & gym session on Sunday, but the weather will have to be really nice for that to happen. Temps in the 40s still sounds a bit cold for a bike ride, but maybe if the sun was out... I don't know. At any rate, I'll definitely go to the gym on Sunday, just not sure if I'll be getting there by car or by bicycle.

On the health front, since being back on the steroid suppositories, I've had hardly any rectal pain. I've had a bit of loose stools but apparently that wasn't enough to trigger another hemmie. So, I'm doing okay for the most part. I'm a bit tired sometimes as the steroids are affecting my sleep somewhat, but that's fine, the side effects are well worth the healing that's going on and I'm happy to not bleed out my ass for awhile. I definitely can't complain - I'm functional and feeling like a human and doing okay. Taking my liquid iron supplement every day, I worked my way up to the full recommended dose of one tablespoon and that's going great, no stomach upset at all. So yeah, I'm doing okay! Life isn't quite such a struggle at the moment and sometimes that's all you can ask for.
02-22-2016, 11:57 AM   #1760
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 2/22/16: Well, I had a good weekend - up until Sunday evening. I hit the gym Friday night, had a great workout. Saturday I took the dog on a nice long walk. It was a bit too chilly and windy out to do a bike ride on the weekend, but hopefully it won't be too much longer now until I can get my bike out for a ride. Sunday, it was back to the gym for weights. I started off feeling a bit sluggish, but I eventually pepped up and hit my stride and had a good workout overall.

Sunday evening, my dad called me, and long story short, my grandpa might be dying (he might stop doing his dialysis treatments, in which case he'll die shortly). So that really stressed me out and upset me. Fortunately I have a very good coping tool, which is exercise. Today was going to be a rest day, but I'm going for a walk now instead. It's still a bit chilly outside, but I can walk on the treadmill for my entire lunch hour, so I'm going to do that. I need to do something active to try to take my mind off of this. So I'm just going to walk, walk, walk today. Tomorrow is weights, not sure which gym or whether hubby is coming. Wednesday I have a luncheon at work so I can't exercise during my lunch break, and it will probably be a rest day. By Wednesday I should have a much better idea of what's going on with my grandpa and what he's decided to do, so I'll at least know more and will be able to work on my emotions from there. If my grandpa does elect to stop dialysis, then there's a good chance I won't be at work that day anyway because I'll be going to say goodbye to my grandpa, so that may be a moot point. At any rate, I'm planning to do as much exercise as I can to deal with this stress and horribleness but I'm not setting firm plans beyond the next day or two because I don't know what's going to happen.
02-22-2016, 04:33 PM   #1761
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Another quick update for today: I did 45 minutes of walking on the treadmill and I feel a lot better now. Another good update is that, for the time being anyway, my grandpa is staying on dialysis. I don't know what tomorrow or next week or a month from now will bring, so that stress hasn't gone away, but it also can at least temporarily relinquish it's spot at the forefront of my mind for right now.

So yeah, doing better now than I was earlier, at any rate. Let the fitness plans commence! Tomorrow weights, Wednesday rest day, Thursday weights, Friday not sure yet. The local ice rinks *might* reopen at the weekend, so it's possible but unlikely that I'll be able to hit the ice for a skating session on Friday afternoon. If I can't skate, I'll probably just do the stationary bike for a cardio session that day.
02-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #1762
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 2/23/16: I'm tired today, feeling a bit wiped out. I'm still planning to do a weights workout, in the little gym on my lunch break. It's feeling like it's going to be a "fake it till you make it" kind of a day - I'm just going to push through my workout even though I'm feeling tired and not really excited about working out today. Sometimes you have to do that.

Tomorrow is a much-needed rest day. I'm looking forward to that. I'm having lunch with my department at work tomorrow and I'm already looking at menus to decide ahead of time what I want to order. I'm thinking salmon - I've been on a salmon kick lately (had salmon for dinner last night and am having the leftovers for lunch today!). I've been doing well with eating good-quality protein lately. I've been doing a lot of lamb, some venison, a fair bit of fish, and even occasionally some rabbit. Lots of eggs, too - I could eat eggs and salmon every day and not get bored of it.

Anyway, I read an article recently that suggested that meals should be given a lot of planning and forethought. And I thought, I plan out my workouts days in advance, but I don't really plan my eating in advance, and I know my diet needs work. So I'm starting to focus on that a bit more. So today's food plan is as follows - breakfast was rice pudding and a protein smoothie. Snack is oatmeal with chia seeds and cashew milk, with raspberries. Lunch is leftover salmon and avocado with couscous. Dinner will be venison. Tomorrow breakfast and snack will be the same as today, lunch will be salmon, dinner will likely be chicken (hubby works till 7 PM on Wednesdays, so we do a crock pot dinner those days and it's almost always chicken).
02-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #1763
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 2/25/16: Oh man. Today has been slightly brutal. Hopefully it's all worthwhile, though. I had an appointment with a colorectal surgeon today. Long story short, I've had ongoing issues with bleeding internal hemorrhoids for a year now and the bleeding has been bad at times, caused me to become anemic and to require iron infusions, etc. So, after consulting with the surgeon and going over my options, we decided to band my hemmies right there in the exam room. That was unpleasant to say the least. There is a LOT of rectal pressure and discomfort now.

The worst part is, she said I cannot lift weights for 2 weeks! She wants to make sure everything heals up first before I'm allowed back in the gym. I can do some gentle exercise like walking, but nothing involving weights and nothing intense. So, for now I have to focus on healing. The bands cut off the blood flow and the hemmies will fall off, there will be scabs where they were, the scabs will heal, and then I can go back to lifting weights. But for now, I have to take things really easy. I hate missing workouts, but I hope that this is all worthwhile and that this is the thing that gets me properly healed and not bleeding out my ass anymore.

So, there won't be a lot of fitness updates from me for a couple weeks. But hopefully this is all for the best and will have me feeling better than ever once all is said and done.
03-03-2016, 06:02 PM   #1764
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I don't really have any updates, but it feels weird to let this thread go quiet even if I'm the only one in here. I haven't done any exercise at all. It's starting to drive me crazy, I just want to sneak into the gym, but I know I should let myself heal.

On that note, it's been a week since the hemorrhoids were banded. I was told it takes about a week for them to die and fall off, so now I'm impatiently waiting for that to happen. I haven't noticed any hemorrhoids in the toilet (I was told I might not see them though, they might be mixed in with my stool) and it still feels like I have hemorrhoids (I've had some rectal pressure ever since they were banded), so I think they're still frustratingly hanging on. I just want them to go so that I can heal up inside and then get back to the gym.

I'd like to do a little bit of mild exercise. I think I'm going to walk my dog both weekend days if the weather allows (it may snow or rain). I also want to do some stretches because I can feel my arthritic hips starting to get angry with me. So that's the tentative plan. If everything goes okay and the stupid hemmies fall off soon, then I can be back in the gym next week Friday. I keep staring at that date on the calendar, trying to will it to hurry up and get here...
03-07-2016, 11:37 AM   #1765
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I walked my dog yesterday! It was warm-ish (upper 40s/low 50s F) but very windy so we didn't have as long of a walk as I'd have liked. Still, we walked which isn't nothing.

I'm going swimming tomorrow evening, too. I hardly ever get to swim (my gym doesn't have a pool). But I'm going out of town for a meeting, so work is putting me up in a hotel. Whenever I'm at a hotel, I try to get some swimming in. I don't ever get my head wet anymore, since it seemed like getting some water into my ear that I couldn't get out was what triggered my horrible bout of labyrinthitis (inner ear inflammation which causes horrendous vertigo) a couple years ago. I don't ever want to go through that again if I can avoid it, so I'm really careful with my ears now. But I can still swim, and I'm looking forward to it.
03-14-2016, 12:20 PM   #1766
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 3/14/16: It's been about 2.5 weeks now since the hemorrhoid banding. I was told it's okay to go back to the gym after 2 weeks, but I waited a bit longer to play it safe. And honestly, I think I'm still healing (had a teeny bit of rectal bleeding & slight discomfort yesterday) but I'm also sick of waiting. I'm going to work out at home tonight, I won't overdo things at all but I want to at least try a few exercises and see how I feel. If I continue to bleed and/or have discomfort then I'll stop and rest for a little while longer, but I have to at least try. I'm just going to do a few things with my weights & equipment at home and see how it goes. Wish me luck!
03-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #1767
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Ugh, that didn't go well. I worked out last night. Didn't push myself at all and didn't do any abdominal exercises. But afterwards, it felt like I had done a ton of ab work, and my guts are quite unhappy today. I think it's a combination of the workout and the fact that I'm super exhausted due to the daylight savings time change. That always throws me off, I hate DST! So I'm exhausted and my guts are unhappy, bleh.

No bleeding though so there's some good news with the bad. I've had a few episodes of d last night and this morning, but no blood. So yeah, maybe it's just the DST thing that's upsetting my guts (they always get unhappy when I don't get enough sleep).

So I think this is a little preview of things to come. In 2 weeks, I get on a plane and fly 13 hours to Japan. Talk about my sleep schedule being interrupted! I have a feeling my guts are going to be extremely upset about that. I'm definitely looking forward to the trip, just not so much the flight and the jet lag and the 14 hour time difference. Fortunately we don't have anything planned for the first couple of days, so I'm going to be recovering then.
03-16-2016, 02:58 PM   #1768
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 3/16/16: I hit the gym again today. This time it fortunately went much better! I think my timing was just really bad last time - my guts were unhappy with the lack of sleep from daylight savings time (they always get upset when my sleep pattern pattern is disturbed or if I get too little sleep). So I really should have waited for my guts to recover from that first before going back to the gym after a hiatus. Just bad timing and me being impatient to get back to the gym.

Today I hit the little gym for weights on my lunch break. I was fairly cautious, didn't do any abdominal exercises and didn't push myself too much. I feel good now, and my guts seem fine too. That's very encouraging. Since today went well, I'm hoping to go to the big gym after work with hubby on Friday.
03-18-2016, 03:28 PM   #1769
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 3/18/16: Ugh. I was hoping to go to the gym today but I don't think it's happening. I've had pain and pressure right inside the anal sphincter all day and it sure feels like a new hemorrhoid has formed. This is incredibly frustrating and depressing. I just had 3 hemmies in my rectum banded only 3 weeks ago, I was hoping to be hemmie-free for a little longer than this. Nope, my stupid broken body didn't get that memo. The new hemmie hasn't bled yet but it's definitely letting me know it's there.

I don't want to go back on steroid suppositories but I also don't know what else to do. For now I'm going to wait and see. If the hemmie starts bleeding then I'll probably have to go back on the suppositories. Ugh, the timing of this couldn't be worse. I'm going to Japan in less than 2 weeks. I was really, really hoping to have my health situation be okay but now I'm having to deal with new hemmies already and there's a 13 hour flight in my near future. Ugh.

So yeah, I'm having a pity party for myself today instead of going to the gym. Just going to try to heal this stupid thing and am really upset with my dumb body for being such a jerk, again. Don't want to make things worse so working out is on the backburner for now. Bleh.
03-28-2016, 11:25 AM   #1770
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I don't have much to update - the hemmie did start bleeding, and now seems to be healing although there is still some pain (it seems to have stopped bleeding, thank goodness). I'm heading to Japan soon for a long vacation, so I won't be on the forum for about a month. Hopefully once I get back, then I'll be back in the gym properly!