• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Shopping experience

We had an awful shopping experience yesterday.:(

We went to buy stuff for school. As my daughter was looking for a school bag the young shop assistant asked her if she was starting high school this year. She just looked at him and didn't answer. I said no shes in year 10 and the look on this kids face said it all. My daughter doesn't look anywhere near 15. Shes still very skinny and flat chested. He quickly tried to change the subject but it was too late he had already upset my daughter. I know this kid was only trying to have a conversation but she didn't see it that way.

We never ended up buying a bag.

She was very upset all the way home. She gets mistaken for being younger all the time. I tried to tell her looking young was a good thing and i wished that i looked younger.

Schools been out for a few weeks now and she hasn't been anywhere with her friends.

I'm worried that looking so young is starting to affect her mentally..:(

Today i'm going to try taking her shopping again.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Oh no :( poor love. :ghug::heart::ghug:

Has her delayed puberty ever been raised by the GI?
If not then I think it is well overdue to be brought into the equation. Both from the psychological and physical issues that it is creating.

Dusty. xxx

Tesscorm

Staff member
At the best of times, it's difficult to be a teen! :( I'm so sorry she was so upset, and I know what you mean... no matter what you say... you're just her mom! :ghug:

I'm sorry, I don't remember but does she use the EN shakes at all? Even as just an addition to her current treatment, the shakes can only help! They will provide her with extra nutrition and necessary nutrition if she's having any absorption issues! Since using them exclusively for six weeks to induce remission, my son's continued with them on a maintenance dose (1/2 dosage 5 nights per week - he does it overnight through NG tube) for over a year now. Prior to getting sick, he was approx. 145 lbs, at diagnosis,he was 127, he's now 165! (He was diagnosed in May 2011 - so he's gained almost 40 lbs since then and grew from 5'10" to 5'11"plus - I'm thinking this is 'good' growth as he was already 16, almost 17 when he started.)

Although Stephen normally uses Tolerex, which can't be orally ingested, while we were away, I purchased Boost for him - if you purchase the Boost Plus you get 1.5 cal/mg instead of the regular 1 cal/mg (FYI his usual Tolerex is a 1.5 formulation - he gets 1500 cals per night).

It's won't be an instant fix but might help over time! :ghug:

The first time we attended the IBD clinic they put a chart out in front of her with different stages of puberty and asked what she looked like. I could tell she was embarrassed when she said none..then they asked what age i got my period and they weren't too concerned. Your right Dusty i think its time i mentioned this again to them.

Tess i've tried but she won't drink them she said they taste horrible. I even tried a few different flavours and brands.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Bearing in mind that puberty commences about two years before the onset of periods then she is certainly delayed. If she hasn't budded (breasts) at all then I personally believe they should be taking a far more proactive approach and stop pussy footing around at getting her into a solid remission.

Once in remission puberty will happen and at an accelerated rate to the normal. Well it did for us!

Dusty. xxx

So sorrry upsetmom. Being a teenager is hard enough. Sending lots of hugs to her and you and hope you get it all worked out soon.

That's a shame for your daughter. I know she cannot appreciate it now, but looking younger than you are will eventually be a good thing! My mom was the same - she still got asked for ID when she was in her twenties and now she looks at least 15 years younger than she is.
I know teenagehood is bad enough without these worries, but maybe you can stress how much better she will feel when she is older and all her friends look 10 years older than her!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Oh, I so know what you are going through Mum. I had to develop that...I'm looking at you but not really looking at you look! :eek2: And sneaking glances at the craziest opportunity...like when she was laying on the chair at the orthodontist, that was a good one because I could at look her and she couldn't see me looking! :lol:

Yeah, I think it's time to broach it again with them. :hug:

Dusty. xxx

That is so rough! I agree to definitly speak with the doctor about this and see what they reccomend. So sorry she is going through this!

Glad to hear the second shopping trip went better.

Being a teen is tough. Ryan looks young for 15 too. Everytime he has a growth spurt, it's followed by a flare that sets us back. His voice has changed, but he's thin, not muscular pale....I can imagine for a girl it is so much worse mentally. Bless her! I would definitely talk to the Dr about it.

Tell her, she will appreciate it one day. I was asked what high school I went to when I was 27! Awesome! I do remember not loving it when I was 20 though. I can relate to what she is going through!

Hugs for both of you.

Last night when she was making a milkshake i thought maybe we can try adding some boost and she won't be able to taste the difference. It worked and she drank it all without complaining...:dance: That was a big accomplishment for her. Hopefully she'll drink some more today.

Does anyone know if its alright to mix this in with the milkshake.

So glad the second shopping trip went better!!

It's tough enough being a teen, but adding in things like that make it so much harder.

My sons are close in age (14 and 12; the 14-year-old--Alex--is the one with Crohn's). For about the last 2 years my younger son has been taller than Alex. VERY frustrating for Alex to have people always asking if he's the youngest.

Back in July Alex had surgery to remove the bad part of his terminal ileum and has been in a growth spurt since then. We just noticed last week that he is now taller than his younger brother! You should have seen how excited he was. Made me so happy for him!!

Alex loves Ensure drinks. I never thought about adding them to a milkshake, but don't see that it would be a problem. Lots of extra calories!!

Strawberry Boost+ Banana+Sugar=YUMMY

For Grace she loved vanilla Boost+Peaches+little agave+oatmeal. She loved it at it gave all the good stuff to get her through meal times

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I reckon what ever way you can get it into her is just dandy! :)

Have you had continued luck?

Dusty. xxx

crohnsinct

Heck! I would too! Have you tried the dark chocolate flavor...I know a few moms on here who rather like those....

I think we did try the dark choc...i can't really remember the pharmacist gave us a fair few samples to try.

And shes actually making it all by herself now ...no complaints