• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What Tumeric/other anti inflammatories do you use?

I know the topic of tumeric has been revisted on the forums many times, but they are old and have not narrowed down to specific brands. I was wondering what brand that you all have been using. Also, what other suppelments/ foods have you tried to add to your diet to help decrease inflammation and had good experiences.

Also, most people work with their GI and nutritionists, is a nathropatic doctor worth it to go over what herbs/spices to take as some have mentioned that meeting them would be beneficial before? Just looking for others personal experiences and any information on this.
Thanks,

Green tea.

Works for me

I feel better with that as well. However holding until to my next appointment to make sure if it is fine as i've heard many disadvantages of green tea as well.
What brand are you using out of curiosity, is it decaf and how many cups a day do you drink it?

Thanks.

I do drink a lot of green tea, I also started using essential oils and use the digstzens blend... It has tarragon, peppermint, ginger, fennel, caraway, coriander and anise.

I do drink a lot of green tea, I also started using essential oils and use the digstzens blend... It has tarragon, peppermint, ginger, fennel, caraway, coriander and anise.

I'd also like your opinion on green tea and how often you drink it (amt of cups) since i've heard disadvantages if not taken in moderation. Also what brand and if decaf? Also is this the link for the Essential oils you're speaking of. Do you have this oil with water or how do you consume it, also do you have it daily? Only reason I'm wondering on your intake of essential oils is reviews have said they take it occasional, also the product description says "Soothes occasional stomach upset"

I usually drink a cup of tea an evening.. Sometimes two glasses a day. I believe they all have a small amount of caffeine in them, which doesn't seem to bother me.

I use doterra Digestzen. I use 3 drops in about 8 oz of water, just when I'm feeling symptoms like pain or feel really bloated crampy and refluxy. It seems to help. I think it recommended to use it 3 times a day until symptoms subsided.. You can also rub it on your belly in a lotion.

I usually drink a cup of tea an evening.. Sometimes two glasses a day. I believe they all have a small amount of caffeine in them, which doesn't seem to bother me.

I use doterra Digestzen. I use 3 drops in about 8 oz of water, just when I'm feeling symptoms like pain or feel really bloated crampy and refluxy. It seems to help. I think it recommended to use it 3 times a day until symptoms subsided.. You can also rub it on your belly in a lotion.
Thanks and do you recall the brand of green tea you have? Just curious as I've heard some are not as strong as others.

Right now I'm drinking Impra usually I drink the Bigelow brand.. But Impra had different flavors that I wanted to try. I also drink black tea sometimes, and honestly that seems to help calm my stomach.

Right now I'm drinking Impra usually I drink the Bigelow brand.. But Impra had different flavors that I wanted to try. I also drink black tea sometimes, and honestly that seems to help calm my stomach.
I'm taking bigelow as well atm, just putting it on hold until I can confirm with my GI and nutirionists that it'd be most likely benefical. Impra looks nice though. I might give it a try.

I really like the apple flavored one.. I don't recommend the ginger, it's pretty bitter... and gross.. lol

I really like the apple flavored one.. I don't recommend the ginger, it's pretty bitter... and gross.. lol
Apple does sound good,
So other than green tea you take no daily anti inflammatory supplements/herbs?

Also what do you try to contribute to your diet that you think best soothes you or from what you're aware of from personal experiences that helps you?

I do take d3 as a supplement.. I don't take anything other than a multivitamin for supplements.

I keep my diet pretty simple.. i treat myself to normal food once in awhile, but I stick to chicken and fish. I will eat greek yogurt and very well cooked veggies. I eat fruit like bananas and canned fruit(easily digested I guess). As long as I stick to that kind of diet I really never have pain.

I do take d3 as a supplement.. I don't take anything other than a multivitamin for supplements.

I keep my diet pretty simple.. i treat myself to normal food once in awhile, but I stick to chicken and fish. I will eat greek yogurt and very well cooked veggies. I eat fruit like bananas and canned fruit(easily digested I guess). As long as I stick to that kind of diet I really never have pain.
Sounds like me so far, from chicken fish to the greek yogurt and fruit. Haven't been cooking veggies at all after dx, have had storebought soup and feel fine that has cooked veggies in them. what veggies do you find best and what do you eat in between for snacks, I'm trying to avoid processed food at all costs since I know that isn't any good. Also have you tried juicing? Sorry all this is offtopic but would like to know more information as i'm not knowledgeable as much as I would like and want more personal experiences to attempt to benefit myself best.

Resveratrol about 15 mg, try docs best red wine extract about 5 pills per day. I take alot of other things too though, but this one is very safe and natural.

Resveratrol about 15 mg, try docs best red wine extract about 5 pills per day. I take alot of other things too though, but this one is very safe and natural.
out of curiosity what else do you take?
especially tumeric/ ginger if you do what form and where do you buy it?

Natures Bounty, it's the best I can do since I live in Canada and they sell it at Walmart. I seem to do a lot better when I take alpha lipoic acid followed by reishi mushroom extract spaced about one hour apart. I also take one Bee Propolis capsule with each meal since it doesn't cost much.

I feel better with that as well. However holding until to my next appointment to make sure if it is fine as i've heard many disadvantages of green tea as well.
What brand are you using out of curiosity, is it decaf and how many cups a day do you drink it?

Thanks.
Salada's my favorite because it has a strong flavor. At least once a day, always my first cup of liquid each morning. I have coffee with breakfast because I'm dependant on the caffeine boost. Never decaf, but green tea doesn't have a lot of caffeine.

Sounds like me so far, from chicken fish to the greek yogurt and fruit. Haven't been cooking veggies at all after dx, have had storebought soup and feel fine that has cooked veggies in them. what veggies do you find best and what do you eat in between for snacks, I'm trying to avoid processed food at all costs since I know that isn't any good. Also have you tried juicing? Sorry all this is offtopic but would like to know more information as i'm not knowledgeable as much as I would like and want more personal experiences to attempt to benefit myself best.

I eat a lot of cooked carrots, zucchini, peas, green beans.. Those seem to be ok. I make sure I cook them and I take the skins off the zucchini. Sometimes I can handle a small amount of broccoli still as long as it's really cooked down. I do the soup thing a lot to get my veggies.. Make a vegetable broth of some sort and dice up the veggies very small. I have done some juicing, but I'm not very knowledgeable on it, I just put stuff that sounded ok.. Sometimes I'll get v8, but I'm sure that has a ton of sugar in it that you don't need either.

I'm not usually hungry enough to need a snack through the day.. If I do, i use apple sauce, I like a certain variety of rice cake and I can still eat a small amount of gluten. Basically for me, as long as I do it in moderation I'm usually ok. Obviously not spicy stuff or greasy stuff. I have to really limit the sugar and dairy intake when I'm really flared. I don't eat pasta however. It seems to be too bulky for me.

out of curiosity what else do you take?
especially tumeric/ ginger if you do what form and where do you buy it?
I only use turmeric sparingly because I think it has toxic side effects, but works well to help fight off a gi flare/infection.

I use fresh ginger in a tea I make which also includes: italian spices(antibacterial), cloves, green tea, lots of basil, black pepper.

SUpps that also help my disease are vit e tocotrienol and tocopherol, vit c 500mg, b multi, vit d 2000iu, lycopene 30mg per day or more lycomato, lithium(swansons vitamins).

soon I will be testing these: fruit extracts supplements like tart cherry. melatonin, vsl#3, ceylon cinnamon high doses, clove in higher doses, anthocyanins derived from blue corn cooked into my oat bread.

I follow a high fiber diet refried beans, whole wheat, oats, lots of broccoli cauliflower other veggies are hard to digest even when overcooked. don't drink milk but i eat cheese mozzeralla and parm has low lactose, and small bit of aged cheddar everyday. I seem to tolerate cranberries and apples the best other high sugar fruits bring back diarrhea and symptoms so everything else I will eat seldomly, these are my safe staples.

Generaly no meds for 7 years since being diagnosed never had surgery never had complications, but i have had some bad times and struggle like hell still and im disabled with general fatigue memory issues, but have one solid bm per day rarely have diarhea unless i stray from my diet or come into contact with large amounts of pathogenic bacteria.

My doctor has me on Celecoxib 50MG capsules. It says to take two a day but I take one (When I remember). It does help, although I can tell when I've forgotten to take them for a day or two.