• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Eggs do not like me

Hello, I gave up eating eggs sometime ago. I had terrible problems with them. Since it had been so long since I had given them up I wanted to try them again. For protein & Breakfast fills the air with a amazing scent! Guess I caved and tried.
Well, eggs are still evil to my system. Can anyone tell me why they make me so ill, the 'd' is awful. Does this happen to anyone else?

Hope today finds you all doing well as can be!!
Thank you for reading.

I have suspicions on many foods, they all seem like enemies at times, but eggs are one item that cause a consistent effect. If I eat eggs and, chicken meat I believe also, for an extended period of time I will develop sores on my tongue. I figured it is something called geographic tongue which seems to be a nutritional deficiency.

I was just looking at Dr. Cordain's latest book yesterday and he has a listing for the top food allergies seen in the US. Eggs came in at number 2, right behind milk.

It seems to me that whether or not eggs bother depend on how they are cooked. Fried eggs will get me most every time, but scrambled seems easier on me. Which makes me sad, as fried eggs with some runny yoke is my very favorite way to eat them.:cry:

The more cooked eggs are, the protein in them breaks down into amino acids (why they go rubbery). Possibly when you scramble eggs you cook them longer? (since you're cooking the yolk till it's hard too, not just the white)

BTW if on scd - best to never use margarine only use butter and if you dine out for breakfast be sure to request your eggs cooked in butter only!! Margarine tends to make the bowels loose :yrolleyes:

sawdust

I seem to do pretty well with eggs, but just like anything, in moderation is key. Good thing too, as I like them just about any way you can prepare them. Mmm.

You chasin' those chickens around yet, David?

glad i found this.
I gave up eggs a few years ago…they always gave me problems.
I love the taste of them!
Love eating them….but they give me weird motions.
I might try cooking them in other ways to truly rule them out once and for all, but who knows - maybe i can stomach them if i find a way to cook them that works for me.

EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT

Clynn, when you fry the eggs, do you use an oil, butter, or pan you don't use when scrambling them?
Hi David,
Is there any more news about eggs and crohns?
I found i didnt have a problem with them, as a child.
Since crohns, since 3 resections of the terminal ilieum, i have issues.
I no longer eat them.
But i wonder - maybe there could be something to do with the removed gut not being able to process those proteins?

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/diarrhea-after-eating-eggs.html

And I thought I was going mad! I can eat a fully cooked egg no problem but a soft boiled or poached one and I'm guaranteed to have D issues within 20 minutes!

As a child I could eat 1 soft boiled egg but any more than that I would vomit or have D or both. Nowadays I can't even have one. Of course my favourite eggs are poached runny ones.......

Oh well at least there's an explanation.

I can't eat eggs at all. Different cookig methods bother me differently. For example, frying an egg will definitely 100% of the time give me D but will also sometime make me at least queasy if not vomiting. Scrambled is a bit better. Hard boiled better again but still not a great experience. Regardless of cooking method, I will stink enough I can't even stand myself - which is saying something cos I'm kinda nose-blind to my toots now. 😳😳

I used to love eggs cooked over-hard, but now I can't tolerate them. Hard boiled, scrambled and egg pudding are much easier to digest.

I think histamine is potentially why eggs are problematic for some. The whites in particular have a histamine liberating effect. When I eat a few whole eggs I've noticed an increase in my eczema skin breakouts. I believe there is a link between bacteria in my stomach that produces excess histamine and when I eat histamine liberator foods I experience adverse symptoms. Also the meat we eat develops histamine as it ages. So the longer it sits out without being frozen or consumed the more histamine it develops. There are also quite a few plants that are high histamine like avocados, eggplant, spinach, and tomatoes, nuts, dried fruit, etc...

Interestingly enough histamine intolerance symptoms line up with some IBS sytmptoms:
abdominal pain, flatulence, diarrhea, headache, itching, swelling of the eyes, hives, runny nose, painful periods, difficulty breathing, racing heart, palpitations and low blood pressure.

Additionally, Immune Modulators (like Humira) we take for managing our diseases prevent the breakdown of histamine by inhibiting DAO (enzyme used to breakdown histamine). So there's a bit more too it if you look at the biology of it all.

At some point I will consistently re-introduce just yolks. How do you guys fair with just the yolks?

I'm vegan, so don't eat eggs, but adore scrambled tofu and omelettes made from chickpeas, if you think you might have less trouble with either of those? :)