• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Have I caused a flare? Smoking and drinking

I take Humira and have recently started smoking again. I know I shouldn't as it does make my stomach worse but for some reason I continue doing it.

Had a heavy weekend. Smoked too much and drank on Thursday and Saturday (gin and tonic Thursday and gin and lemonade last night). Had a bad stomach this morning. Had a couple of fags and was ok. I then went for another and threw it as I was desperate for the loo. Came out like water. I also didn't eat anything last night which I heard makes things worse.

I'm now freaking out that I've caused a flare. No other symptoms apart from a little tummy pain but not too bad. My husband is away which is making my anxiety worse. I keep thinking what if I have caused a really bad flare and I end up in hospital when he isn't here? Anxiety also makes my symptoms worse so I'm trying my best to chill but it's just not happening.

Alcohol does effect me if I've had a heavy night but never to the point of water poops. It's not very often I drink 2 nights in one week. I'm not due for Humira until Tuesday.

Anyone else caused a flare by drinking or smoking? Or does anyone start to feel their symptoms are worse when it's getting close to their injection day?

Any help appreciated.

Bufford

Gin is rough. I enjoy a scotch, but I havn't smoked in over 20 years. Last summer my nephew made me gin and tonics with lime, at first I enjoyed them. I got home and bought a bottle of Gin and after a few more I developed awful stomach pains. I had to stop, and I don't want to see gin anymore. the gin bottle sits there half full since then and I have spare tonic in the basement for anyone who wants one, but I will take a pass, that's how bad my experience was with gin.

I take Humira and have recently started smoking again. I know I shouldn't as it does make my stomach worse but for some reason I continue doing it.

Had a heavy weekend. Smoked too much and drank on Thursday and Saturday (gin and tonic Thursday and gin and lemonade last night). Had a bad stomach this morning. Had a couple of fags and was ok. I then went for another and threw it as I was desperate for the loo. Came out like water. I also didn't eat anything last night which I heard makes things worse.

I'm now freaking out that I've caused a flare. No other symptoms apart from a little tummy pain but not too bad. My husband is away which is making my anxiety worse. I keep thinking what if I have caused a really bad flare and I end up in hospital when he isn't here? Anxiety also makes my symptoms worse so I'm trying my best to chill but it's just not happening.

Alcohol does effect me if I've had a heavy night but never to the point of water poops. It's not very often I drink 2 nights in one week. I'm not due for Humira until Tuesday.

Anyone else caused a flare by drinking or smoking? Or does anyone start to feel their symptoms are worse when it's getting close to their injection day?

Any help appreciated.
Hi, i dont think some drinks can trigger a flare. But it's not good for the stomach of course... so it can have worsen some symptoms.
Best thing you have to do is keep calm, and have easy food for your stomach for the next few days.
As you probably know smoking is considered very bad for ibd, so it would be important you try to quit.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member

Any help appreciated.
How are you feeling now? I do know that drinking and smoking aren't good for you, but can't honestly give any advice since I've done neither. Just hope things kinda smoothed out for you and the stomach issues didn't stick around. Lots of hugs...

How are you feeling now? I do know that drinking and smoking aren't good for you, but can't honestly give any advice since I've done neither. Just hope things kinda smoothed out for you and the stomach issues didn't stick around. Lots of hugs...
I'm feeling much better thanks. It's hard to not be scared that as soon as my stomach plays up I'm going to flare. Feeling very fed up that my life revolves around poop!