• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Radar Key

Hey,

I used the disabled toilet today and as I finished I heard someone from outside put their key in the door. It was locked but just want to ask for future references that they can't open the door if it has been locked from inside can they? It was a good job I had finished and was quicker than what I normally are. He apologised. Thanks

I don't think that it would have opened, I've had the same thing happen to me.
They usually have a pull down handle, which can only be opened from the inside, and then the lock which can be opened from outside.

Absentminded, thanks a lot I was hoping you would say that :) just wanted to find out for future references. It wouldnt have been very good being walked in on lol thanks again x

Just be careful cheerbear the ones that have a separate lock on the inside are fine, but the ones that say pull handle up to lock can be temperamental, it wouldn't be the first time some old dear came in to see my hairy ass! Lol

Rather made me smile... I have exactly the same anxiety about those locks with the pull up handle on them. I always wonder whether someone can just put their own key in and come in. Not conducive to a happy experience.

I haven't had a lot of luck with Radar keys, in fact. I bought the first one off Amazon.. a real cheapie one, and that got stuck in a lock in a coffee shop. Had to tell the staff and just abandon it there... they reckoned the lock was broken anyway, but they hadn't put a sign up. So I decided to get what looked like a "proper" one, also off Amazon... but the last time I tried it, in a car park toilet, it wouldn't turn properly... maybe someone was already in there, but the engaged sign was half red and half white (ie... half engaged)... maybe another one of those dodgy locks!

Agent x20, sorry you haven't much luck with yours how much did you pay for them? Maybe it wasnt the keys that were the problem. Have you still got them? Try them again just out of interest but at a different one where it isnt broke. I bought from a disability mobility place cost me £2.50 he wasn't going to give me one at first tho.

Agent x20, sorry you haven't much luck with yours how much did you pay for them? Maybe it wasnt the keys that were the problem. Have you still got them? Try them again just out of interest but at a different one where it isnt broke. I bought from a disability mobility place cost me £2.50 he wasn't going to give me one at first tho.
Well, the first one may still be stuck in the door for all I know... but it was very cheap. The second one I still have... but even that was only a fiver. I'll try it out again. The Arndale Centre in Manchester has a whole row of Radar loos if I remember rightly... be worth a trip to try a few out... heh! heh!

I'm in the United States

My questions is if they can be bought on Amazon, how are they not being abused by people who don't need them?

I'm in the United States

My questions is if they can be bought on Amazon, how are they not being abused by people who don't need them?
Anyone can buy a key from Amazon. If you can prove you're disabled then you are exempt from paying Value Added Tax on it. I think the point is that they won't really be abused... most people with normal bowels probably wouldn't think about it... why pay more just so you can use a disabled toilet.

What is more of a problem (sometimes) is that someone who is visibly disabled (such as in a wheelchair) may get a bit grumpy when a crohnie (who may look perfectly abled) uses the facilities. But you could always make a point by pooing yourself whilst you're trying to explain your condition to them :shifty-t:

I've been stopped by a member of the public as I've been about to use a radar scheme toilet. I just tell them that if they detain me, something will occur that will be embarrassing for both of us and they can talk to me after I've been.

I bought my key from the radar website, it cost about £3.50.

Interesting. Are these toilets just at random places around the country? I mean, the bathrooms here are in restaurants, gas stations, stores, etc. You have to enter an establishment to use their restroom (and some of them don't much care for non-customers doing that!).

Well I went in bus station one but there's one in Whitby thats next to public toilets. I'd imagine they everywhere not just in stores. Next time they have a go at you just if you have to go you have to go! It's better than having an accident x