• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What is a stool culture/analysis test?

Had a letter today off my GP confirming my upcoming tests. In the letter he says about my faecal calprotectin being raised at 742. But also says my stool culture and stool analysis were normal?

So I am now wondering whether the calprotectin was a false reading, or whether the culture and analysis test being normal just rules out bacteria and/or infection being the reason for calpro being raised?

(I did give in 2 stool samples, 1 for inflammation check, and 1 for infection check)

Thanks in advance

valleysangel92

Staff member
I would guess that they mean the bacteria/ infection check was normal rather than the fecal cal being a false reading. It could also mean they didn't find any blood. If you're unsure can you call and speak to your GP or a nurse and ask for more of an explanation? I know at my GP I can call the treatment suite side where they do all the blood tests etc and ask them to explain test results over the phone.

I would guess that they mean the bacteria/ infection check was normal rather than the fecal cal being a false reading. It could also mean they didn't find any blood. If you're unsure can you call and speak to your GP or a nurse and ask for more of an explanation? I know at my GP I can call the treatment suite side where they do all the blood tests etc and ask them to explain test results over the phone.
Thanks, Yeh may give my GP a ring. I asked about the Fecal occult blood test when I gave stool sample in and they said they don't do it now... puzzled me.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hm. That's strange, I'm sure I've heard my GI mention it recently. Maybe only hospitals can order it now or something.

If your GP is no good maybe try your IBD nurse, I've only recently had access to mine and she's been a real asset!

Hm. That's strange, I'm sure I've heard my GI mention it recently. Maybe only hospitals can order it now or something.

If your GP is no good maybe try your IBD nurse, I've only recently had access to mine and she's been a real asset!
Thanks ill definitely try. It is strange I agree.

Culture and analysis is for infection and quite different to the calprotectin test.

Occult blood tests are really a screening tool (done when you have no symptoms) and not generally done for investigation of possible IBD. Investigation for IBD are the ones you have had and bloods, scopes and various imaging studies e.g. MRI, barium studies, pill cam etc