• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does Generic Prozac Cause Crohn's?

nogutsnoglory

I am posting this to see if others have had a similar experience or will think back and wonder if this is a potential problem. I had no digestive issues, I was taking brand prozac and switched to generic because of the cost difference, immediately I began my pains, and crohn's kicked in exactly at the same time. Now I take brand again to avoid the pains and nausea of the generic.

I wonder if generic prozac triggered my crohn's disease, if that's the case there is some serious investigating that needs to be done.

nogutsnoglory

I don't know how it could be proven, but I wanted to see if anyone here had a similar experience because maybe I am onto something. I believe crohns is as you say genetically, environmentally based but I also believe that certain things can kick it in, and I wonder if this having upset my GI tract started me on this fun fun path.

Have you considered herbal anti-depressants like St John's Wort? Upping vitamin D intake, and Omega-3s can also help.

IMO antidepressants are hard on the body, due to the large amounts of fluoride in them. That is just my opinion and I dont mean to offend anybody on antidepressants. I will never take a prescription antidepressant, due to the fluoride. I also use fluoride free toothpaste and drink fluoride free water, because I do believe its toxic.

http://www.fluoridealert.org/health/gi/

Last edited:
St John's Wort is known to interfere with some medications. Before taking it you need to check that it's safe. Fluoxetine has had the opposite effect for me, since taking it the last lingering symptoms (such as fatigue, and aches and pains) of my flare last year has gone.

NoGuts:

Prozac has not been linked to Crohn's. However, Prozac, like other SSRIs, can cause GI symptoms, such as nausea and stomach upset.

Dr. S (spouse of the Crohn's sufferer)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I didnt think anything really causes crohns, but certain things can cause your gut to react. Most peole are on antidepressants or anxiety to keep the stress level down. I am on Pristiq, after many years of denial. Meds of any kind can react to your body.

I am posting this to see if others have had a similar experience or will think back and wonder if this is a potential problem. I had no digestive issues, I was taking brand prozac and switched to generic because of the cost difference, immediately I began my pains, and crohn's kicked in exactly at the same time. Now I take brand again to avoid the pains and nausea of the generic.

I wonder if generic prozac triggered my crohn's disease, if that's the case there is some serious investigating that needs to be done.
Yes, I had the same thing happen. As soon as I started taking generic Prozac I started having colitis which I never had before.

i just started taking generic Prozac and i too have been suffering symptoms. Terrible bouts with loose stool and terrible cramps but i am holding out to make sure that they wont disappear.
~Jaylie~