• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How often do u change your bag?

How often would you recommend changing a one piece? With my ileo I used 2 piece hollister and changed the flange every 3 days but I now have a colostomy and am using a 1 piece coloplast and my output has been mostly porridge consistency with some watery stuff for fun oh the joys. I've used the eakin seals I had for my ileo but don't know if they'll do any good as my new stoma is nearly flush with my skin.

Terriernut

You can use the same! I have a colostomy and use emptyable bags. I had better! I use a two piece, so that I need not change the wafer every day. But the bag, I change every day or two. I'm having particularly watery stuff at the moment, and will change to a larger bag for nightime, otherwise I'll have a problem! With a one piece, you can go 48 hours tops usually. It's recommended you change a one piece daily by most manufacturers.

Glad to see you are 'firming' up with the output now. Dont forget, you can go to the stoma subforum and read through all the posts and look at the advice over the last couple years even. Lots of advice on here!

Nyx

I use a 2 piece system and change my flange about once a week. I change the bag every 2 days.

Terriernut

Like Cindy, I try to change with a two piece every two days. On watery times (like now) I will change to a larger bag to save bags. On a two piece system, you have a few more options. On a one piece system, the options are a bit more limited.

I use a coloplast 1 piece system. I must say that i quite like it. I can get 3-4 days if i'm lucky. I just changed from the flat faceplate to the convex one and I'm getting way more wear out of them.
I tried out a 2 piece, but having started with the one piece, I found the two piece a bit more frustrating and limited my movement. My ET nurse also stood firmly behind the one piece for me.

I change the wafer every 2-5 days and the bag every second day approx. I couldn't get anything more than 2 days from a one piece unless it was the x3 convexity one from dansac.

Have you spoken to anyone about trying out some convex bags? They are supposed to be really good with stomas which are flush or don't stick out very far.

My insurance would love some of you HA...HA they say 3-4 days is what I HAVE to go ya right well tell road runner that :( I told the lady the other day you never know from day to day I was doing great making it 3 days with my one piece.
Then 2 days ago I have had 3 bags in 3 days sighhhhhh.....

They are like well you get this many bags for 90 days period grrrrrrrr.............

As someone has said already, if your stoma is almost flush with your skin, you might do much better with a deep convexity. I use the coloplast alterna deep convexity and usually change it every 3 days or so - less often if the consistency is thicker, more often if I have diarrhea.

We are fortunate in Australia, we are allowed 30 one-piece opening bags per month (I'm not sure about the other types). I don't use that many so order them only every 2 or 3 months.

I now change my one piece every 2 days. I can get upto 4 days if i really push it but it is very likely to end in disaster when I do. And now I'm much more confident and used to cleaning and changing everything I've no problem changing more often.

I'm really intrigued about trying a 2 piece.

I prefer 2 piece myself as its easier to "burp" the bag. Going to change back til 2 piece this afternoon and see how it goes.

hello all, im new to having a stoma and bag as this is week 1 for me and been out of hospital for 1 day, i have a 2 piece and changed my base plate tonight as the sticky was coming off from my skin, i must admit changing it and cleaning stewie (stoma) for the first time was pretty daunting but im sure i will get used to it, my question is how do you know when to change the bag? what are the signs of it ned to be changed and stop being drained empty?

I prefer 2 piece myself as its easier to "burp" the bag. Going to change back til 2 piece this afternoon and see how it goes.
I think the 2 piece are so much easier to tell if you get a good seal :) but are so uncomfortable for a tiny build person. I am so tiny my torso is like a childs ( surgeons words :( as was part of my reason for my disease my inerts are the same way I never grew like a adult inside either I have adult organs in a childs size body sucks :(
So when I wear a 2 piece I feel so uncomfortable like I cant bend or breath deap breaths.

I am curious how do you guys switch back and forth so much ( my insurance company doesnt make it that easy or maybe its the supplies company but they blame the insurance.
Holister last the longest on me but they suck in the water and we have a pool but how do I get one kind for regular use and one for pool use??

hello all, im new to having a stoma and bag as this is week 1 for me and been out of hospital for 1 day, i have a 2 piece and changed my base plate tonight as the sticky was coming off from my skin, i must admit changing it and cleaning stewie (stoma) for the first time was pretty daunting but im sure i will get used to it, my question is how do you know when to change the bag? what are the signs of it ned to be changed and stop being drained empty?
Hi luke, Changing bags etc at first is very daunting and when I had my ileo done about 7 months ago I felt exactly the same. I'd leave it as long as possible between changes because I was scared of doing it but as time goes on you will get so used to it that it will just become part of your routine just like brushing your teeth is.. (thats what the stoma nurses told me and I didn't believe them......) it just takes time to build up that confidence and know how.

For me a sign that im starting of with some sort of leak would be things getting very itch, usually a sign stuff is leaking through the seal and irritating my bag, and also if the part of the bag that sticks to your skin starts getting creased and looks like something could get through it then that's another sign. You may also just be able to look at your bag and notice maybe a tiny amount seeping through.

I am curious how do you guys switch back and forth so much ( my insurance company doesnt make it that easy or maybe its the supplies company but they blame the insurance.
Holister last the longest on me but they suck in the water and we have a pool but how do I get one kind for regular use and one for pool use??
In the UK we get free bags and supplies so we are lucky that we don't have to worry about making things last etc and can easily switch between brands.

Just changed back till my 2 piece hollister let's see how it goes!! Does anyone think the stretchy stoma covers belt type cause extra pressure on seals?

Thank you robbo87, i tried to clean stoma while in shower,but found it odd, i kept that part of my body out of the water , i didnt want the soup to hit it or didnt want cause a reaction incase i have the shower too hot, i think its just me being para..

My new base plate i replaced tonight and its a lil bit creased but feels secure.
thank u for your quick response

I now change my one piece every 2 days. I can get upto 4 days if i really push it but it is very likely to end in disaster when I do. And now I'm much more confident and used to cleaning and changing everything I've no problem changing more often.

I'm really intrigued about trying a 2 piece.
Do it!! I've never looked back. Even when I use one of my old one pieces for some reason I always remember why I like the two piece.

I think the 2 piece are so much easier to tell if you get a good seal :) but are so uncomfortable for a tiny build person. I am so tiny my torso is like a childs ( surgeons words :( as was part of my reason for my disease my inerts are the same way I never grew like a adult inside either I have adult organs in a childs size body sucks :(
So when I wear a 2 piece I feel so uncomfortable like I cant bend or breath deap breaths.
Have you tried the new Dansac 2 pieces? They have the smallest bases that I have tried. I'm only small two and they fit me really well.

ive only ever used a 1 piece, i would change it if it has got completley soaking in the shower as the edges of the seal look like they're lifting. at the minute thats every 2/3days.

i have kept it on in the past for as long as 5/6 days and it has all been fine.