• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopys and Sedation

I was just wondering what kind of experiences people have had with colonoscopies, and what to expect... Has anyone ever woke up? I had an endoscopy and a flex sigmoidoscopy on the same day and I woke up in the middle of the flex sig... It was really uncomfortable and almost painful but I was wacked out of my mind... When you get a colonoscopy they go much farther in you, does anyone have experience with waking up when they are far in you? Im scared of the thought.

nogutsnoglory

I never woke up during any procedure where I was sedated. I think it's rare for that to happen these days but u believe they numb you anyway so if you wake up you should be OK. Discuss the fact that you woke up previously with the anesthesiologist and maybe they can make it stronger.

theOcean

During my first colonoscopy I was able to feel everything. When I was getting my second one booked I requested propofol, so I would be totally knocked out and it was great, didn't feel a thing and just woke up afterwards back in the waiting ward.

You're technically not "out" for most colonoscopies, it's what is called "conscious sedation" because general anesthesia requires an anesthesiologist who needs 15 years of training in America and whose rates could be described in terms of "gold bars per hour". Think of it like being really, really drunk or high. You get hit with an IV containing midazolam and suddenly the next thing you remember is a doctor yammering at you about how your operation went. Even if you do "wake up" during the operation you're not likely to feel pain because it's typical to give fentanyl, a powerful opioid that makes broken bones feel like scratches.

I did wake up during my 2nd colonoscopy and heard my GI Dr. talking about ulceration. I did not feel any pain and just went back to "sleep". Try not to worry, the anesthesiologist will make sure you are comfortable. Take care!

I used to still feel some pain during the different colonoscopies. I eventually asked them to put me completely under.

rygon

my 1st was with twilight sedation where you are still concious all the way through, but just forget most of it, the 2nd was with gas and air

Both uncomfortable and a bit painful, but with gas and air at least you can drive home and do normal stuff afterwards

Thanks all :) I was mainly concerned for a friend who is getting an anesthesiologist because she cant take regular pain medication... But Its also good to know for me...Ill probably end up getting one through my diagnosis process and waking up really does concern me.

When i had my colonoscopy I was awake. I did take some sedation though :) I did feel a bit uncomfortable during it but its great to just leave once its done.

Thanks all :) I was mainly concerned for a friend who is getting an anesthesiologist because she cant take regular pain medication... But Its also good to know for me...Ill probably end up getting one through my diagnosis process and waking up really does concern me.
Even if you do wake up, you won't be in pain because you're loaded with painkillers. Though like Ness said, it mostly just feels...awkward. And it's not literally waking up and being in shock. You're still in conscious during most of the operation so it's more akin to a moment of lucidity while being drunk.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I have had the twilight sedation 4 times now, and I did briefly regain just a hint of consciousness for a second or two during my most recent scope. I didn't open my eyes, I just have a faint memory of becoming minimally conscious and feeling like something was in my butt and it was mildly uncomfortable, but no pain whatsoever. Then I zonked right back out and have no further memory of that scope. And that's the only memory I have from any of my scopes. The twilight sedation is pretty good stuff (to the point that I apparently had a whole conversation with my GI that I don't remember!), and I agree with the others in this thread who have said that fentanyl is good stuff. I always wake up after my scopes feeling rested and pain-free (even though they always take a zillion biopsies from me). Sometimes the day after a scope is a bit painful, as the fentanyl has worn off by then and I can sometimes feel painful spots where I presume they took biopsies from. So if you're able to, I would recommend taking off of school/work the day after a scope, too. For my last scope, I took 3 full days off - one for prep, one for the scope, and one to recover. That worked out quite well.

Hi,
I have recently had a colonoscopy I was really nervous
But it was fine had sedation and didn't feel anything and don't remember anything about what happened mine only took about 15-20 minutes.The worst part is the stuff you have to drink before x

I had my first wide awake
The idiot who did it couldn't knock me out & shouted @ me to go to sleep so he could do the scope
My response was he was the one with the needle
I told him to just get on with the scope as no way was I prepping again
I felt every nook & cranny & "fired" him as soon as my results came back

3 Gastros later, they decided to give me propofol
Had no bad after effects & a load of biopsies taken & some polyps removed
I went to work the next morning , just some cramping & slight bleeding

I too had twilight sedation. I kinda remember seeing the screen at one point, but other than that, I remember nothing, lol. Wasn't anything like being put completely under. I was wide awake and alert 10 mins after the procedure

The Prep is definitely the worst.

Suggest you eat as little as you can and drink as much as you can.

I have also suffered bad headaches due to sugar/caffeine withdrawal (i think) so make sure you have some panadol on hand.

If you have problems with the prep make sure you ring them the day before so they can organize an enema or at least put you at the end of the procedure list. There i nothing like suffering for three days and then having to rebook and start again.

I "wake" in all of the procedures and it's great if you see the display monitor.

I love the after procedure sleep. I always tell them to leave me sleep because is the best sleep I have all year but they are not allowed to.

bestoluck

Seems that some of you have had totally different way with colonoscopies than we have here. We have no anesthesia and sedation or twilight only if needed. I have always been told its much more dangerous to do colonoscopy if there is no feedback from patient. Pain indicates that there is too much pressure on the bowel and controlling pain doctor can make sure everything goes well and without complications like perforation.

I have done it without medication but usually I request mild sedation, so basically its just painkillers and sedatives IV, I am feeling numb and high but I can talk to doc and I do remember something afterwards. Never even thought of getting totally unconscious, I think its unnecessary and recovery takes too much time.

Prep with lighter meals one week prior, then 1 or 2 days low residue diet.

No, knocking people all the way out for colonoscopies is rare for the exact reasons you mentioned. The majority are still carried out with twilight sedation.

With the doctor I had before this one, I would be awake and could still feel them moving around. Ever since then, they have put me fully asleep.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I've had more than I can count. I remember all but one of them. The only time I felt pain was the one before my disembowelling. They pumped me full of more drugs and the next memory I have was waking up in recovery. I had one with no sedation once. I went in for my regular GI appointment, I complained about something and my doctor left room came back a couple of minutes later and asked what time I had to be at the office. He said he "just wanted to look around a little", he didn't too far in at most a foot or so.

What they usually give you frequently doesn't work on me. After a couple of times like that, I've gone with what they call "anesthesia assist." It works great! I don't wake up 'till I'm in the recovery room.

I've always had the twilight or conscious sedation (and I've had 4 or 5 colonoscopies). But I never remember any of it. I don't know if I'm just really out of it or it messes up my short term memory. At first they would set-up the TV monitor so I could watch (which I'd like to do), but I now tell not to bother. I've never had any pain, at least that I remember.

My wife does tell me I can be pretty funny in post-op, when I'm still drugged out, but I usually don't remember any of that either.

I heard preps no fun at all.
I always tell people the prep is the worst part. The biggest problem I have is that the prep just tastes so horrible. I also tend to get really grouchy when I can't have any food.

The last couple of times, my doctor has given me a report with still pictures of the inside of my colon. I think last time I asked him if they have them in wallet size. :D

theOcean

I got the anesthetic last time and it turned me into a compliment machine. Thank every nurse that approaches me! Thank every doctor that helped me with the procedure! Shout how wonderful everyone is while half-bleary in the waiting room! Loudly wish the person beside me good luck with their Remicade test!

Basically it was an interesting experience. At least I know I'm nice when I'm out of it.

Id like to thank everyone for their input. I love to know more about all these procedures and how I can make it easier on myself.

DJW

Forum Monitor
I had my pediatric surgeon tell me to push out during rectal exams. I was happy to get that tip. Made it a lot easier. Of course he had big banana fingers. Lol

Now I make it a habit of checking out the size of all my doctors fingers. :)

Count me in for another vote for propofol. I have a panic disorder, and low pain threshhold. I want to go to sleep, and wake up when it's over. I go to sleep when we get to the OR, and wake up in recovery.

Id like to thank everyone for their input. I love to know more about all these procedures and how I can make it easier on myself.
I used to go to work on the day I did the prep, figuring I could not-eat at work just as well as at home. But the last couple of times, I've taken a vacation day (which luckily I have enough of to do that). When I'm not eating I'm grouchy and out-of-it and it makes no sense to do that at work. So while I'm drinking my clear liquids I can veg out on the couch with the cats and day-time TV. I find it makes things a little better.

I didn't feel a THING during my colonoscopy. I was worried about waking up because I have once before in a previous surgery. It was a weird and alarming experience. During the colonoscopy, I remember going in and then asking me a few questions and then waking up with my mom and boyfriend sitting next to me. I didn't have pain afterwards or anything. The worst part was the bowel prep the day before! That stuff is disgusting you have to drink. YUCK! The procedure was the easy part! Good luck! :)

I am actually getting scheduled for one for this month... thanks everyone for making me more informed and less nervous.