• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira no longer working

I've been on Humira for 18 months or so. Unfortunately I think my body is rejecting the medicine. I have been very exhausted since taking my last dose Monday night. This same thing happened with remicade.

Hi. Let your doctor know what is going on. How often do you give yourself the injections? If it is bi-weekly, they might want to switch to weekly. Talk to your doctor . He might test you to see the level of medicine in your system or to see if you have built up antibodies. Let us know how you are.

I became immune to Remicade as well. I decided to try the natural route, and save the Humira as an option for a last resort. SO I started an intense anti-inflammatory diet and healing program and it worked for me. In the period of a year's time, my Crohn's slowly had less and less symptoms until they disappeared all together. I've been in remission for 2 years now. Im not taking any prescriptions.

It was a risk, but I was in bad shape with a stricture, and had few options, so I gave it a shot. Everyone has to make their own decisions on their healing path, and it's the route I chose. I don't recommend anyone stop their medication immediately, but I found diet and supplements can help to heal your immune system.

I became immune to Remicade as well. I decided to try the natural route, and save the Humira as an option for a last resort. SO I started an intense anti-inflammatory diet and healing program and it worked for me. In the period of a year's time, my Crohn's slowly had less and less symptoms until they disappeared all together. I've been in remission for 2 years now. Im not taking any prescriptions.

It was a risk, but I was in bad shape with a stricture, and had few options, so I gave it a shot. Everyone has to make their own decisions on their healing path, and it's the route I chose. I don't recommend anyone stop their medication immediately, but I found diet and supplements can help to heal your immune system.
Do you have a doctor monitoring you?

Yes, I had a colonoscopy to monitory my progress, and I checked back with my GI doc every 3 months, and now just as needed.

Just found out that I do not have antibodies but had Humira levels. I'm going to potentially be put on weekly doses of the drug.

I had the test for my Humira levels. Results - Humira was at 2.1. My GI informed me the level should be 5.0 for a therapeutic level. I also was tested for antibodies and found none. After over 5 years on Humira I am being changed to weekly injections.

I had the test for my Humira levels. Results - Humira was at 2.1. My GI informed me the level should be 5.0 for a therapeutic level. I also was tested for antibodies and found none. After over 5 years on Humira I am being changed to weekly injections.
5.0 is the old cutoff level for effectiveness. they are finding it needs to be 10-12+ to gain a clinical response and remission.

Humira never did anything for me and my level was 5.4, plus I was on Entocort 9mg/day. Unfortunately Blue Shield didn't want to pay for weekly doses and I was getting desperate with pain and increasing blood loss and needing IV iron infusions, so I switched docs and we went with Remicade and Cellcept. Immediately put it into remission.

5.0 is the old cutoff level for effectiveness. they are finding it needs to be 10-12+ to gain a clinical response and remission.

Humira never did anything for me and my level was 5.4, plus I was on Entocort 9mg/day. Unfortunately Blue Shield didn't want to pay for weekly doses and I was getting desperate with pain and increasing blood loss and needing IV iron infusions, so I switched docs and we went with Remicade and Cellcept. Immediately put it into remission.
That is great

Just checking in for an update of sorts. I'm still in a flare up but I think it's getting better. I will have to get a colonoscopy if my symptoms don't go away within a month

AmyH, can you give us an example of a anti-inflammatory diet? I'd love to try it. I'm pretty stable on Humira, but I'm still not entirely normal.

I have been on Humira for about the same amount of time, started on it last August. It helped some but I still don't feel that great. I used to be on Remicade and it worked really well! I aged out of my parents insurance and stopped taking it. Going to the doc tomorrow to see what she says. I just want to feel better...

What is the natural approach that you used it seems everything I try doesn't work I tried scd for a bit but then it stopped working, I also tried paleo with mixed results also now the drugs aren't working I feel a bit lost.

I had 4 1/2 good years with Himira, but then 3 hospitalizations and surgery. Tried Entiviyo infusions, but I only took it for 7 months and I think the doctors didn't give it enough time. Now on Stelara and it's not working either. Doctor wants to add Methotrexate. Wish I could get off all these meds. I'm thinking they might be doing more harm than good.

I've been on Humira for 18 months or so. Unfortunately I think my body is rejecting the medicine. I have been very exhausted since taking my last dose Monday night. This same thing happened with remicade.
I don't think it is a sign of your body rejecting it. It is just a side effect t. If mine from ontinues unabated I'll get off of it. I feel dreadful

Update.

I was put on a prednisone taper and felt great. I've been off of it for just over a week and the symptoms came back instantly. I'm getting a colonoscopy Friday and will go from there.

After the colonoscopy today, I am scheduling an appointment with a surgeon. I have about 4" of scar tissue that needs to be removed.