• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Repeat prescriptions

Hi all,
I'm feeling very grumpy today because my new GP won't give me Azathioprine on a repeat prescription but is insisting I come into the surgery to see them each time. I get that they have to monitor blood tests but why do they actually have to see me?

Perhaps it doesn't seem like a big deal, but I feel like I have so many hospital appointments lately- having surgery on perianal fistula on Monday, and starting infliximab infusions on Thursday- it just seems like one more appointment that could be avoided!

Do other people have this problem? How does your (uk) GP handle repeat prescriptions for drugs that need bloods monitoring?

Hi all,

I'm feeling very grumpy today because my new GP won't give me Azathioprine on a repeat prescription but is insisting I come into the surgery to see them each time. I get that they have to monitor blood tests but why do they actually have to see me?

Perhaps it doesn't seem like a big deal, but I feel like I have so many hospital appointments lately- having surgery on perianal fistula on Monday, and starting infliximab infusions on Thursday- it just seems like one more appointment that could be avoided!

Do other people have this problem? How does your (uk) GP handle repeat prescriptions for drugs that need bloods monitoring?

That seems ridiculous, especially given the state of the NHS these days. Mine have a little booklet all my results are updated in every month. Only once have I ever had an issue and that was because my WBC was low. They just rang me and got me to come in for another test which was fine. No other problems other than that?

Have they always done this or is it a recent thing? I'm wondering if there is something else they are concerned about and want to keep tabs on you? Otherwise it doesn't make any sense!

That seems ridiculous, especially given the state of the NHS these days. Mine have a little booklet all my results are updated in every month. Only once have I ever had an issue and that was because my WBC was low. They just rang me and got me to come in for another test which was fine. No other problems other than that?

Have they always done this or is it a recent thing? I'm wondering if there is something else they are concerned about and want to keep tabs on you? Otherwise it doesn't make any sense!
I've moved house so it's a new GP. I made an appointment with them when I first moved to go through all the medications, and the GP said she wouldn't put the Aza on repeat because of the bloods monitoring, and gave me a blood test form - but I just assumed I could come to the reception and request it. I was actually planning to give them a copy of some bloods that I got done at the hospital, because I don't like doing them more than I have to. But the receptionist said I could't request it and would have to see the doctor, so I had to make an appointment for Monday week. I pointed out it was rather inefficient which the receptionist wasn't too pleased with.

My last GP before I moved had the booklet system, which I found irritating enough, because I just wanted to be able to request repeat prescriptions online and pick up at the pharmacy. But this new one seems to have no system at all! Grrrr

I just wanted to be able to request repeat prescriptions online and pick up at the pharmacy. But this new one seems to have no system at all! Grrrr

Yes that annoys me too as I can request everything else online. Mine won't do prescriptions requests over the phone either so I actually have to go in, that drives me bonkers....

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
When I was on aza I had to get tested once a month for my liver. And, the last time I had gotten tested they yanked me off of it saying my test showed it was abnormal. But, up until then my pharmacy had to check with my doctor every time I refilled (I believe). Not the easiest thing to do, especially when I visited my grandparents across the states. But, I managed.

So you request the repeat with the pharmacy direct, and they contact the doctor? That sounds like a reasonable system. I don't mind getting the blood tests, just want them to be able to review them without me physically sitting in front of the Doctor.

I'm going to work on my GP to see if they can implement a more efficient system. Surely it's possible for me to request Rx online, they check latest bloods, then they send the prescription to pharmacy.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies. This just really got to me today

emmaaaargh

Staff member
Mine did this when I moved GP from my hometown to university. I expressed to the nurse that it was a little bit ridiculous considering I'd been on azathioprine for 5 years and had Crohn's for 10! She admitted that although the system was in place to keep people safe, i.e. to keep them from skipping their blood tests and maybe developing liver problems, she agreed that I could get a phone appointment when I needed a new prescription and mention when my last bloods were and they'd sign off on a new prescription. Do you think that seems like something your GP would do?? It's SO annoying trying to schedule appointments all the time when my old GP would just hand me a repeat and I could go to the pharmacy whenever I needed!!

When I was still on Aza they would do blood work every three months. My GI would write for refills for the three months to last until the next appointment.

Mine did this when I moved GP from my hometown to university. I expressed to the nurse that it was a little bit ridiculous considering I'd been on azathioprine for 5 years and had Crohn's for 10! She admitted that although the system was in place to keep people safe, i.e. to keep them from skipping their blood tests and maybe developing liver problems, she agreed that I could get a phone appointment when I needed a new prescription and mention when my last bloods were and they'd sign off on a new prescription. Do you think that seems like something your GP would do?? It's SO annoying trying to schedule appointments all the time when my old GP would just hand me a repeat and I could go to the pharmacy whenever I needed!!
I will ask them- not sure they do phone appointments. I'm going to press for them just doing repeat prescriptions and checking the blood test results themselves first though. I'm not going to be able to forget to do them (not that I would anyway), because I'm going to be on infliximab infusions, so they will be done every 8 weeks at the infusion clinic, and the nurses will send them in a letter to GP.

If they can't work with some kind of system that works for me, I've no problem with changing GPs, just not sure how to check first that the new GP will have a better system!

Let me be quite frank. GPs' aren't making the money the once were. Why? Government. I was premed majoring in both biochemistry and mathematics. The stress flared me up to the point I never recovered. I had never been diagnosed despite having blood in my diaper before I was 1 years old. I feel like God intervened. I recently read an article that had results as high as 90% of physicians not satisfied with their job.

So, the real reason... They want your money. Let's just be honest.

That sounds really dumb.

I just request it online and then go the chemist 2 days later. Every 3 months I make an appointment for the blood test, which coincides with my B12 injection that I was going for anyway.

What I never understand is it's the GI consultant who decided to put me on the stuff, so why is it necessary to go through the GP at all?

Let me be quite frank. GPs' aren't making the money the once were. Why? Government. I was premed majoring in both biochemistry and mathematics. The stress flared me up to the point I never recovered. I had never been diagnosed despite having blood in my diaper before I was 1 years old. I feel like God intervened. I recently read an article that had results as high as 90% of physicians not satisfied with their job.

So, the real reason... They want your money. Let's just be honest.
I don't think this is the reason as General Practice in the UK is publically funded, through our National Health Service, and the funding is allocated to GPs per registered patient each year, rather than per visit. No, I'm pretty sure that they are doing it because they think it's the best way to make sure they are monitoring blood results and prescribing the Aza safely, but I do think they could do this in a more efficient way - for both me and them!

That sounds really dumb.

I just request it online and then go the chemist 2 days later. Every 3 months I make an appointment for the blood test, which coincides with my B12 injection that I was going for anyway.

What I never understand is it's the GI consultant who decided to put me on the stuff, so why is it necessary to go through the GP at all?
Yes! This is what I want to do! So it *is* possible.

I think it's the GP because of the way the funding works for the medications - since it's a long-term medication. What I don't actually understand is why the Humira I've been on, and the Infliximab I'm now starting is prescribed directly from the hospital, but maybe it's because it requires closer monitoring.