• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

About to start Prednisone tomorrow..

I am about to start on 50mg of Pred for the first time tomorrow. I am also on 4g of pentasa granules and 1g pentasa suppositories. My pentasa hasn't been working since around the end of Dec last year and I've been putting off Pred ever since but diet and changing amounts of pentasa hasn't done anything.
I am extremely worried about getting a moon face, gaining weight and the possibilities of mood changes.
Also the fact that if I have any adverse reactions, I can't really just stop taking it either...
Wish me luck!

Astra

Good Luck missy moo.
Drink tons of water, the reason for the moon face is due to water retention, and reduce your sodium/salt intake too. The moon face isn't immediate neither and it will go the instant you stop the Pred, as will any weight gain. I didn't get any mood changes on it, just a bit wizzy and hyper! I really liked it! I didn't like the insomnia, so if you get that don't fight it, go with the flow and watch some telly or DVDs.
xx

Good luck! I am starting 40 mg today or tomorrow. I have taken it before, but it has been a long time and I do tend to get all of the side effects, so I am quite nervous about it.

Try to really control your eating. I found that prednisone made me want to EAT EAT EAT and it was usually junk that I was craving. I gained 60 pounds or so during my second round and have only finally managed to lose it 10 years and i major flare later. This time I am going to have to exercise extraordinary willpower.

Best of luck to you. Everyone reacts a bit differently to pred. I didn't get moonfaced until about 3 months in to taking the pred (and it isn't normal to have to take it so long) and it went away fairly quickly after I stopped. I generally didn't have any problem taking it and hopefully you won't either!

I am about to start on 50mg of Pred for the first time tomorrow. I am also on 4g of pentasa granules and 1g pentasa suppositories. My pentasa hasn't been working since around the end of Dec last year and I've been putting off Pred ever since but diet and changing amounts of pentasa hasn't done anything.
I am extremely worried about getting a moon face, gaining weight and the possibilities of mood changes.
Also the fact that if I have any adverse reactions, I can't really just stop taking it either...
Wish me luck!
Hey beautiful, how is it going?

I am starting prednisone tomorrow morning 60mg. the plan is a 8 week course (gradual tapering). GI really wants me on Humira - but I am still too scared of it. He told me after the pred I will be begging him for Humira (dude must get a nice kickback for rx-ing it). I am hoping to counteract the insomnia with medical marijuana. I am not looking forward to acne and moon face as being insecure and vain I will not want to leave the house. The behavioral stuff really pisses me off, as I was a psycho most of my life until I discovered I had severe sleep apnea at 40....cured my insanity and irritability with CPAP...now just to go back to all of that - even for just 8 weeks.....