• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Joint Pain that is troubling

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
I do plan on bringing this up with my doctor, especially if the pain persists. I've been busy getting ready for work. I've been purposely wearing my comfortable tennis shoes as I realize that I will be on my feet more often. My feet were fine all week. Early this afternoon, I developed a dull, slightly throbbing pain in my metatarsaphalangeal (hyphenate?) joint. Its the ball joint just below the small toe on my left foot. It's been hurting all day. When I was visiting my mom and dad this afternoon, I noticed that the skin was red and shiny looking. Oh weird! I get regular joint pains with my CD. This joint on my foot is troubling because it is painful and making the end toes feel stiff. Has anyone experienced something similar? The typical joint pains caused by my CD do not cause discolorations around the joint.

Crohn's Mom

Could it possibly be cellulitus ?
Gab had had that on her toe twice, and it sounds like what you are describing is similar.
I could be way off, but that's the first thing that popped into my head reading.
Does it itch at all where it's painful and red?

I hope you get this sorted soon!
Sorry if I am no help :(

Hugs,
T

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Tracy! That's a nice picture of you! I normally have itchy pain in my finger joints. This is shiny, red, and hurts. It feels stiff. Thanks for the information. I will look out for any itching.

Crohn's Mom

you're welcome! :)
that's how hers was...shiny, red, painful and stiff...but also itched.
Keep a close eye, because if there's a chance it's cellulitus, it can be dangerous if left untreated.

and thank you, but that's my daughter Gab! I wish I was that gorgeous! :)

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
Thanks again Tracy! You and Gabby could almost pass for twins then. I hope I look that good when my daughter is 18. LOL! I'll be an old bag though. LOL!

My best guess would be the increase in walking/standing is combining with the Crohn's causing more inflammation. I have been exercising a lot more lately and that has led to a lot more painful joints for me.

The joints in my feet often hurt. I don't usually acknowledge it, but I will notice I've been walking on my heels and realize why. In any case, your pain sounds a lot like mine. Stiffness, redness, and pain are the hallmarks of the joint pain I get. I would still talk to your doc about it since it's atypical for you. I hope it doesn't stick around.

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
Thanks Nicole! I will be watching this one. I was wearing loose fitting sandals today because anything touching that joint would send me in pain.

Another possibility could be that you're supinating. What kind of shoes are you wearing? Have you ever had someone analyze your gait and tell you what type of shoe is appropriate for you? Also if your tennis shoes are too small they may be causing the beginning of a bunionette (although this is probably pretty unlikely).

Although I still think the most likely thing is just that your body is adjusting to the increased time spent on your feet.

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
All good things to consider. My tennis shoes are fine. Earlier in the year, I noticed that my feet grew. I think it's a side effect of my pregnancy. LOL! I've had to buy bigger shoes. My mom claims she jumped two shoe sizes after having all of us. Who knows? Maybe it is just a wives tale, but I know my feet have grown.

I've always been flat-footed, so that might have something to do with it. Usually all my pain is on the inside part of my foot. It's the kind that disappears or fades when I get off my feet. I also wear arch supports. This joint pain is pretty constant. The red coloration and stiffness are what alarms me. I am hoping that it's just another thing that comes with aging, and not something pointing to further inflammation. Thanks again!

Well I think redness and stiffness are signs of inflammation, but hopefully it's transitory.

One last thing that I think is even more unlikely is gout. Has anyone in your family had it? I only ask because you mentioned how sensitive it is, which is typical with gout. Normally gout presents in the big toe, not the little one, but it's not impossible. I think with gout the joint becomes really warm as well.

I do work for a foot doc so that's why I'm throwing out so many ideas. Hehe.

Oh! And flat feet usually cause pronation rather than the opposite (supination, caused by high arches). That's probably why your pain is usually on the inside of your foot. So we can probably rule that one out. :D

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Andi,

Is your Crohns in the ileum?

If so perhaps the problem is gout. The red, shiny and pain fit, is it warm to the touch?

Dusty. :heart:

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
I appreciate all the suggestions and help Nicole. I have horrible feet! I guess it's an understatement. I'm glad to live in Alaska and to keep them covered a good portion of the year.

My mom's mother had gout. She really suffered with it. I blame the CD for the destruction of my toenails. I've had problems absorbing certain nutrients in the past, my nails love to split, feather, and to get ingrown. I have partial remains of my left great toenail. I starting getting horrible ingrown nails from the age of 25 and on. Even after following the pediatrist's advice on how to cut them, train them, etc. That left great toenail wanted to curl in. I had to have that thing removed 3 times! They killed the matrix on the sides the third time. It's such an ugly thing.

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Dusty! I do have some of my CD in the ileum. I may have to look into the possibility of Gout. Ouch! My grandma had a horrible time with that.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I would have it checked out hun. Since you have ileum involvement then you may well have high uric acid levels which unfortunately can equal gout! :eek2:

Dusty. xxx

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
Thank you for the heads up, Dusty. I need to have physical for my teacher certification anyway. This will be a good time to get my ever aging body checked out. LOL!

have you looked in to Arthritis. if you have ichy red spots and achy joints? Arthritis goes with CD. i have ankylosing spondylitis but psoriasisic arthritis goes as well. Gout is also a form of Arthritis, by the way. you might consider going to a rhemy.

they're isn't any good explanation on this forum or with the CCFA of arthritis and crohn's but there really should be. If I could figure out the appropriate way here i would but i'm unsure. And it's also why i refuse to join CCFA, because that's the info i need.

Good luck!!

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
Thank you Outlier and others for your support. I still have the joint pain, though it is settling down a little. My doctor wants me to wait another week or two before referring me to a rheumatologist. We both agree that it is probably related to my CD. My co-worker who has CD is going to try to find the information regarding arthritis and CD. I sometimes get a rash around different joints, so she thinks it could even be psoriatic (spelling) arthritis.

Hey, Andi. I have gout. It normally seems to attack the left toe joints and left ankle for me. I do have CD in the ilium. I always thought gout was for old, fat, rich guys! You know, the kind that ate lobster and rich guy food. Joke was on me! When the doc told me gout, the look on my face was priceless. It comes and goes. I bought myself a spiffy looking cane. Good luck. Hope the pain is gone by now. I just caught this post! Sorry, hon!

David

Co-Founder
I've been researching vitamin and mineral deficiencies as I believe they are responsible for most extraintestinal manifestations people with IBD experience. I came across this and "One study found that within eight days of supplementing boron, women lost 40 percent less calcium, 33 percent less magnesium and less phosphorus through their urine." as well as anecdotal evidence that calcium and magnesium (and vitamin D3) supplementation can help with arthritis, so I wonder if it is more boron related. I actually suggested this product for my dad as he has early stage osteoporosis because some quack doctor put him on a diuretic for a long time without monitoring him.

I eat 10 dried cherries a day, everyday. Ever since I started this, the gout has not been a problem. I am going to look into what David suggested though. Due to the pred, I have 90 year old bones.

Has something to do with the uric acid. I googled gout annd natural treatments and came up with it.

Stay away from tomatoes, asparagus. Increases uric acid evidently.

I sell tart cherry and black cherry extract like crazy for inflamation and gout. There are liquids and pills for those who need it. Works wonders for many of my customers.