• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bone broth soup is great.

I thought I'd share. It is easy to do, cheap, very easy to digest, very nutritious and helps healing the gut. Also delicious.

http://divinehealthfromtheinsideout.com/2012/05/bone-broth-nutritional-facts-benefits/

Nutritional Facts & Benefits of Bone Broth

Bone broth contains gelatin a colloidal substance that attracts digestive juices to itself and prevents gastrointestinal bugs from attaching themselves to the gut wall and wreaking havoc. The gelatin in bone broth assists digestion.

Bone broth contains minerals such as calcium, silicon, sulphur, magnesium, phosphorous & trace minerals in an easily assimilable form. These minerals are pulled out of the bones in part due to using a vinegar solution prior to cooking. The vinegar helps to draw the mineral salts out of the bone. All of the minerals present in bones used for bone broth, except fluoride, are macro-minerals, which are essential for proper nutrition and are required in greater amounts than 100mg/day. The only macro-mineral not present in bone is chlorine. Minerals have numerous functions in the body beyond the composition of bone, which is why the body will rob the bones and tissues to maintain steady levels of minerals in the blood and other fluids. Calcium is the most abundant mineral in bone, it is also the most abundant mineral in the body. The calcium present in bone broth can be considered for use in the following deficiency signs, symptoms and conditions: pain and inflammation, cramps, muscle spasms, delusions, depression, insomnia, irritability, hyperactivity, anxiety, palpitations, hypertension, high cholesterol, allergies, brittle nails, periodontal and dental disease, pica, rickets, osteomalacia, osteoporosis and any situation that creates bone loss such as aging, immobilization, postmenopause, and caffeine,

Bone broth is helpful in treating digestive disorders such as IBS, colitis and even Chrohn’s disease.

Anemia and other blood disorders respond to gelatin in the diet as well. Gelatin is used to tonify the blood. Glycine, a key ingredient in gelatin, plays a vital role in the blood. (Table II) Also if gelatin is extracted from bone, then marrow, where blood cells are produced is also extracted. Chinese studies have shown gelatin to increase red blood cell and hemoglobin count, increase serum calcium level, increase the absorption and utilization of calcium, and prevent and treat myotonia atrophica (muscle wasting)

Gelatin assists in neutralizing whatever intestinal poison is causing problems during an intestinal bug or flu.

Broth recipes stress the quality that can be obtained from using highly cartilaginous parts of animals. These parts will be joint areas, like chicken feet and beef knuckles, trachea and ribs, or anatomy with a concentration of glycosaminoglycans, like hooves and skin.

Cartilage (aka- broth) can be considered for use in the following conditions: arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis), cancer, decreased immune system states, and malnutrition.

Another word for collagen is gelatin. Collagen is a scientific term for a particular protein in the body, while gelatin is a food term referring to extracted collagen.

Gelatin has also been found to improve body weight as well as bone mineral density in states of protein undernutrition.
Gelatin (broth) can be considered for use in the following conditions: food allergies, dairy maldigestion, colic, bean maldigestion, meat maldigestion, grain maldigestion, hypochlorhydria, hyperacidity (gastroesophageal reflux, gastritis, ulcer, hiatal hernia) inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis), irritable bowel syndrome, leaky gut syndrome, malnutrition, weight loss, muscle wasting, cancer, osteoporosis, calcium deficiency and anemia.

Scurvy is a disease caused by a deficiency of vitamin C. It results in symptoms such as bleeding gums, bruising, and poor wound healing. These manifestations are actually due to a deficiency of collagen, because vitamin C is needed to synthesize collagen. It converts proline into hydroxy proline. Collagen, along with minerals are needed for the creation and healing of bone. It is also integral to cartilage formation and repair.

Collagen (broth) can be considered for use in the following conditions: poor wound healing, soft tissue injury (including surgery), cartilage and bone injury (including dental degeneration).

Broth could be considered a liver tonic (or liver supportive). Broth helps the body to detoxify during a cleanse, and in fact at any time it is eaten.

Broth also contains, Chondroitin Sulfate, a jellylike substance, now famous as a supplement for joint pain associated with osteoarthritis. It functions to support and provide adhesiveness. It lines blood vessels and plays a role in lowering atherosclerosis, cholesterol and heart attacks.

Broth is not a complete protein, since it only contains three amino acids. A complete protein needs to contain all B essential amino acids. Therefore it is not a meat replacement, but it can be used as a meat extender. Since glycine is used to make other amino acids, it is considered protein sparing. In addition, because glycine is used to make energy in gluconeogenesis, consuming glycine spares your own body protein from being broken down to make energy. Broth is not a meal replacement, which is why it is used as a starting point for soup, or as the first course of a meal.

Broth can be thought of as a protein supplement, and a calcium supplement. The chemical ingredients extracted from broth are glycine and proline (collagen/gelatin), calcium and phosphorus (minerals), hyaluronic acid and chondroitin sulfate (GAGs), and other minerals, amino acids and GAGs in smaller amounts.
--------------------------------------------------------------

http://paleoleap.com/eat-this-bone-broth/

Last edited:

David

Co-Founder
I'm all about bone broth soups! So nutritious and tasty as everyone has mentioned. I make up HUGE vats and also give little bits to my dog for his health as well :)

I've been making bone broths for 10 years, only had crohns for 1 year. I cook a lot and love soups of all kinds, I've got 5 really solid gumbo recipes that I've dialed in over the years, they all require homemade bone broth.
Ham bone, chicken bone, beef bone, bring it on.
I like to take my onions, sweet red pepper, celery, bay leaf, thyme and put them in with the bone and water, cook it down for an hour or more. Remove the bone, then puree it all in the blender, the veggies cook way down to and pureeing them in adds some body to the broth. There's your base.
Add new veggies and some rice or barley and simmer for 20 min.

I cook up big batches, cool, and freeze in quart freezer bags, ready to go anytime.

David

Co-Founder
That our environment is so messed up that we have to worry about lead contamination in the bones of the animals we produce bone broth soup from is... insanity.

I'm thinking it would be best to get bones from sources other than factor farm chickens and such. Hopefully that will help a bit.

That our environment is so messed up that we have to worry about lead contamination in the bones of the animals we produce bone broth soup from is... insanity.

I'm thinking it would be best to get bones from sources other than factor farm chickens and such. Hopefully that will help a bit.
I was just about to say this.Definitely don't do bone broth, you could be exposing yourself to more lead(Pb).

Were are living in a post industrialized world where lead contamination from over use of fossil fuels is just a fact of life, lead accumulates in the bones of animals, but is present in blood as well. studies on human skeletons reveal modern humans everywhere now have lead levels that are 500-1000 times higher then their pre-industrialized humans.

I think focusing on constant chelation and efforts to reduce the load of lead is perfectly sane thing to do in this day and age. filtered water, anthocyanins and garlic, could possibly lower your lead burden, and may increase your I.Q. a few points.

Last edited:
Dang I am really into the BB. making another batch right now from grass fed beef bones purchased at the farmers mkt.
I have been eating this almost every day for several months and I have noticed 3 times now that when I stop for a few days my PA Fistula becomes more active and when I restart the BB the activity decreases to next to nothing. After 3 times I am pretty convinced it's the BB. The stuff tastes so nutritious and satisfyingly good too!
add cilantro hope that helps with the lead.
Can one have their lead levels checked?

I use certified organic free range chicken to make my broth. And I use filtered water not tap.

Unfortunately the tests say they were done with organic chicken. Although I don't know if they were proper "certified" organic, or just that dodgy organic wording that manufacturers like to slap on everything! :ybiggrin: Looks like the tests were done on shop brought processed broth and I always make my own from scratch. Not sure if that will make a difference or not.

Lead will interfere with the absorption of calcium, so that is something to keep in mind. However, the excellent benefits of bone broth for UC, makes the risk worthwhile for me. So I am not too overly concerned. I am sure I breath in lead via gas/petrol fumes, general pollution and second hand cigarette smoke every day anyway, so no avoiding it.

I have however reduced my consumption of broth from every day to once a week, at my naturopaths insistence since she sent me the link. I did not post the link to worry or scare - just to inform.

add cilantro hope that helps with the lead.
Yes cilantro and parsley, along with drinking green juices, should help to off-set it. Also that Bentonite clay you can drink for a detox may help too.

You can get tested for lead levels. I think it is done by a blood test or hair analysis. Don't get paranoid about the whole thing. If the BB works then maybe it is worth the risk. After all the link only said there may be a risk.

Maybe you can keep drinking the broth but also have periodic tests for lead. Perhaps also get your calcium levels tested too. Although since we IBD sufferers don't absorb nutrients very well in the first place, your calcium levels may be low for other reasons.

Thank you smell
I,m not going to worry or give up the broth. How do you think the lead gets in the bones?
Even organic chickens are raised on feed as opposed to Pasture raised chickens and grass fed cows. Is the feed the source?
All my water is home purified and my calcium levels are good.
Might be a good idea to get tested for lead and other heavy metals like Mercury I will have to look into that.

Im not going to worry or give up the broth.
I recently read that most people who live in industrialized countries, have high levels of lead. And their level is already so high - they cannot afford to allow their levels to go any higher.

So I would definitely get yourself tested. If your levels are low or non-existent, you will probably be OK to keep drinking the broth. But if your levels are already high, then you will have to make the decision of whether you want to risk the broth or not.

Personally I don't care. Given the amount of abuse (poor diet, alcohol, cigarettes, medication) I have subjected myself to over the years - I hardly think a little broth is going to make much difference to my toxicity levels. :biggrin:

How do you think the lead gets in the bones?
The same way it gets into us : breathe it it, absorb through skin, eat it, drinking water, DNA and just general environment really. You may drink filtered water now, but how about when you were growing up. Most homes back in the 1950/60/70/80 and even today may have lead water pipes and these old pipes would leech lead into the water supply. Starts early being passed from mother human (or mother cow) via suckling breast milk. Or you may be in a job where you would be exposed (i.e.) mechanic.

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/diseases/lead/en/

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-10-28-lead-bone_N.htm

Just weight up the pros and cons. I think bone broth is excellent for my UC. It really helps. And so I am going to take the risk. Everyone else needs to make their own decision.

I've used one of those instant pot electric pressure cookers to make bone broth. It's great for getting the job done in a just a couple hours as opposed to most of the day on a stovetop. If you're big on bone broth I'd definitely look into buying an electric pressure cooker. They can accommodate cooking other various types of foods as well so it's a pretty worthwhile investment.

Did I do something wrong?

I made bone broth soup for the first time yesterday after reading this thread. I cooked beef bones and chicken thigh bones for a few hours on high in a slow cooker, then turned to low for 24 hours. When I came home from work it smelled sort of like expired beef. Is that a normal smell?

I had two mugs of it and my stomach felt upset. It might have been something else I had last night but I can't discount the broth.

Is the broth you made gelatinous? It should be. Did you add vinegar, veggies to the broth while making it?

I can't describe the smell because it is very subjective.

As far as I know, broth shouldn't upset your digestive system- it is very easy to digest.

Is the broth you made gelatinous? It should be. Did you add vinegar, veggies to the broth while making it?

I can't describe the smell because it is very subjective.

As far as I know, broth shouldn't upset your digestive system- it is very easy to digest.
Not gelatinous, no vinegar or veggies added.

It should be gelatinous; if it isn't I would make a new batch. Next time add 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. The vinegar makes it more gelatinous.

I also add 2 middle sized carrots to make it tastier. Don't forget to add salt.

Vinegar has mixed results on my digestion. I don't think this would improve my digestion of it either way. I'm just wondering if the smell is an indication of something bad.

The smell of broth takes some time to get used to. I like to add carrots, green onions, and ACV to it. It smells so good. If you can't tolerate ACV, can you add in lemon juice?

I eat mostly soup as part of my elimination process. Considering the garbage that used to be in my body, I am not too worried about consuming a little bit of lead lol.

Here's a article from Chris Kresser on bone broth lead study. http://chriskresser.com/bone-broth-and-lead-toxicity-should-you-be-concerned/

Chris is a paleo diet advocate highly respected for his informed literature review and wiliness to change his thinking and recommendations based on new information. He doesn't have an unbending dogma. I respect that.

His primary point is that bone broth contains no more lead that 3-4 glasses of drinking water, which does not raise blood levels according the the EPA. (See quote below). He also acknowledges another challenge: in our industrial world, even the best quality food may contain some contaminates. The problem becomes how much many super nutrient-rich foods can you give up to sustain complete purity? Others face conodrums such many fermented foods are on the "don't list" for a FODMAPS diet. Finally "organic chickens" are not raised in healthy conditions. "pastured-raised" graze on a varied natural diet and arent standing in poo all day.

"The authors of the study express alarm about the “high” levels of lead found in the bone broth preparations they made. However, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has established a safety threshold of 15 parts per billion (ppb, which is equivalent to 15 µg/L) for lead in drinking water. On their page discussing lead and water, they explain that:

Most studies show that exposure to lead-contaminated water alone would not be likely to elevate blood lead levels in most adults, even exposure to water with a lead content close to the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) “action level” for lead of 15 parts per billion (ppb). Risk will vary, however, depending upon the individual, the circumstances, and the amount of water consumed. For example, infants who drink formula prepared with lead-contaminated water may be at a higher risk because of the large volume of water they consume relative to their body size.

If drinking water consistently throughout the day with lead levels of 15 µg/L (ppb) does not pose a problem for human adults (and children with the exception of infants drinking formula), then why would drinking 2-3 cups of bone broth with lead levels of 9.5 µ/L pose a problem? I don’t think it would."

On a cooking note: You can brulee a piece of ginger and an onion and put in the bone broth pot. Cut an onion and ginger bulb in half. Heat a dry iron skillet (no oil or fat) until its hot and put the onion and ginger flat side down until they're very brown. This will a deepen the carmel flavor in the broth. Vietnamese cooks often do this when making broth for Pho.