• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Getting Night Sweats with Crohns Disease

I've been getting Night Swears most nights after tapering off my steroid medication (Budesonide). Does this mean that I'm flaring, or just a symptom that you always get with unmedicated Crohns?

I started on 3 months of 9mg a day of Budesonide and didn't get any night sweats. It was only after i tapered down to 3mg a day that they started again. I used to get them occasionally before I started the Budesonide but now it's pretty much every night around 4AM I will wake up soaking wet in sweat.

My GI said I can taper back up to get rid of them or come off the steroid medication. Just not sure if it's a sign I'm flaring since it's the only Crohn's Symptom I seem to be getting so far.

P.S. If i was to try a natural medication such as CBD pills - do you think I could use the night sweats as an indication that they are working to reduce inflammation inside my small bowel?

I would probably feel better, myself , if there were some type of test the doctor could perform to see if the inflammation had decreased.

when i am on a high prednisone dose i was sweating sometimes at night too.
but it was only for some days and then it was gone.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I've been on Entocort and never got night sweats while on it. I do, however, get night sweats when I'm flaring. For me it's a definite indicator of a flare. We're all different though so I can't say for sure what it means for you. I agree with Ronroush, you should probably have some testing to see if you still have some inflammation or active disease.

I've been on Entocort multiple times, I haven't noticed night sweats specifically with the medication. However I know when I'm having a general flair and not feeling well I will get night sweats You may be starting to flare a little as you taper down. You want to keep an eye on that, see if you can get some tests to measure inflammation via CRP or fecal caplprotectin tests.

I've been on prednisone for 5 months now 30 mg which is a pretty decent dose. And I have bad night sweats too. And I'm also in a flare so it could be a little bit of both

My daughter used to get night sweats, and she was not on the steroids. It was when she was first diagnosed and the inflammation was really severe. Once we cut down the inflammation (mainly through diet and supplements), they disappeared.

She used to always have a cool, wet washcloth nearby for relief!

Hope it gets better soon!

Judy

Last edited:
My daughter used to get night sweats, and she was not on the steroids. It was when she was first diagnosed and the inflammation was really severe. Once we cut down the inflammation (mainly through diet and supplements), they disappeared.

She used to always have a cool, wet washcloth nearby for relief!

Hope it gets better soon!

Judy
When you say diet and supplements do you mean she was able to reduce the inflammation without taking prescribed drugs?

ImDan,

She was so severe (hardly had the energy to walk) that the doctor wanted to put her on prednisone and possibly Remicade or Humira. We talked him down to Pentasa and he monitored with blood/stool work while we made aggressive dietary and lifestyle changes (zero sugars, grains, dairy - mostly fresh veggies and grass-fed eggs and meats and bone broths, zero stress at mealtime, chewing well, massage, prayer, etc.). We homeschooled, and I did a lot of reading - it's about all I worked on for about 6 months (we eventually caught up with school).

Diet and supplement changes improved symptoms before Pentasa. Eventually, we noticed that she felt worse after taking the drug (some of the side effects are identical to Crohn's symptoms). She was off the Pentasa within 6 months. The doctor was shocked at her progress. She has handled everything naturally and on her own for several years through diet and supplements. Lack of symptoms came with low CRPs and SEDs. Are you tested for those?

That said, everyone's case is different. Crohn's seems to be really individualized. Also, we went to extreme measures with a total house food clean-up, homeschooling, etc.

The daily food/symptom diary was a great help (we included symptoms like night sweats and lack of energy). In the meantime, cool, damp cloths and extra sets of sheets were handy.

ImDan,

She was so severe (hardly had the energy to walk) that the doctor wanted to put her on prednisone and possibly Remicade or Humira. We talked him down to Pentasa and he monitored with blood/stool work while we made aggressive dietary and lifestyle changes (zero sugars, grains, dairy - mostly fresh veggies and grass-fed eggs and meats and bone broths, zero stress at mealtime, chewing well, massage, prayer, etc.). We homeschooled, and I did a lot of reading - it's about all I worked on for about 6 months (we eventually caught up with school).

Diet and supplement changes improved symptoms before Pentasa. Eventually, we noticed that she felt worse after taking the drug (some of the side effects are identical to Crohn's symptoms). She was off the Pentasa within 6 months. The doctor was shocked at her progress. She has handled everything naturally and on her own for several years through diet and supplements. Lack of symptoms came with low CRPs and SEDs. Are you tested for those?

That said, everyone's case is different. Crohn's seems to be really individualized. Also, we went to extreme measures with a total house food clean-up, homeschooling, etc.

The daily food/symptom diary was a great help (we included symptoms like night sweats and lack of energy). In the meantime, cool, damp cloths and extra sets of sheets were handy.
Thank you so much for the reply. Really inspiring to see her do so well without meds.

I'm only on Pentasa at the moment, but from what i've heard it's pretty useless and I might as well be on nothing.

I don't believe I have heard of CRPs and SEDs - how do you get tested for those?

When I was on Prednisone after first being diagnosed, I had very severe night sweats. I'm currently flaring and taking entocort. I've been having occasional night sweats, but I'm not sure if it's due to the meds or the flare.