• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My BM's haven't looked this good since I can remember...

My coworker who has celiac introduced me to Sushi a few weeks back. I've been eating a ton of salmon rolls and california rolls w/ salmon the past couple weeks. I can't remember the last time my poop has looked this good. It literally comes out like a log, perfectly, and sinks to the bottom. I seriously can't remember the last time I saw it look so perfect.

hopefully a soft log, its supposed to be soft, and not like a hard log stool that is too firm is not healthy. But yes sinking is healthy floating can mean fat malabsorption.

Could you ever get sick of eating sushi? Way better deal than enteral nutrition! If it starts getting expensive it is fun to make it at home too and you could try varying the ingredients in the rolls to see what sets you off. It might be a great experiment.

Anyway, I'm happy it is working for you!

Could you ever get sick of eating sushi? Way better deal than enteral nutrition! If it starts getting expensive it is fun to make it at home too and you could try varying the ingredients in the rolls to see what sets you off. It might be a great experiment.

Anyway, I'm happy it is working for you!
I think Pilgrim is on to something. Also, Maybe you can somehow incorporate sushi ingredients into lettuce or seaweed wraps.

Mmmmm, I miss sushi.

The sushi has to have salmon in it. It can't be the really fatty kind like the spicy tuna rolls. The tuna most sushi places use is just the fattiest part of the fish. When I was eating this sushi my BM's were floating and I could feel it after I ate them.

I really think it's just the sticky sushi rice and seeweed that just binds everything together.

I also avoid all dairy products and try to do GFree the best that I can and also avoid red meat. My diet has been pretty limited lately though to just salmond rolls, California rolls with salmon and chicken tacos using corn tortillas at night.

My appetite isn't where I want it to be, nor is my weight. That's about all I can complain about. But I can't lie my BM's have not looked this good in a long, long time.

The sushi has to have salmon in it. It can't be the really fatty kind like the spicy tuna rolls. The tuna most sushi places use is just the fattiest part of the fish. When I was eating this sushi my BM's were floating and I could feel it after I ate them.

I really think it's just the sticky sushi rice and seeweed that just binds everything together.

I also avoid all dairy products and try to do GFree the best that I can and also avoid red meat. My diet has been pretty limited lately though to just salmond rolls, California rolls with salmon and chicken tacos using corn tortillas at night.

My appetite isn't where I want it to be, nor is my weight. That's about all I can complain about. But I can't lie my BM's have not looked this good in a long, long time.
I'd like to hear everything you are eating, if you don't mind!
Very often people give testimonies and you find out they actually changed 20 variables and cherry picked the variable they think is helping them only to find out it was something else. Or they don't even report some variable that they think is important, like maybe its the sake or something, or soy sauce.

for example, maybe you have removed dairy at the same time you started sushi, and actually you are experiancing benefits from lactose free diet and it has nothing or little to do with the sushi. This is why most testimonys are so unreliable.

I'd like to hear everything you are eating, if you don't mind!
Very often people give testimonies and you find out they actually changed 20 variables and cherry picked the variable they think is helping them only to find out it was something else. Or they don't even report some variable that they think is important, like maybe its the sake or something, or soy sauce.

for example, maybe you have removed dairy at the same time you started sushi, and actually you are experiancing benefits from lactose free diet and it has nothing or little to do with the sushi. This is why most testimonys are so unreliable.
There are a lot of factors involved. I removed dairy from my diet about a year ago. I've been tinkering with my diet over the past year and a half. BM's have slowly gotten better over time, seems like whenever I make a change in my diet. Remove dairy, slight improvement. No red meat, slight improvement. I've been on the same medication for the past 15 years. I also take mesalamine enemas once every now and again.

No dairy, no red meat, no eggs. And I've been experimenting with gluten free lately too.

current diet is literally what I typed out in the post above. Just lots of sushi, I get like 4 salmon rolls and a california roll with salmon for lunch. I also use soy sauce and kimchi sauce with my sushi. And I have like 6 corn tortillas with chicken and onions and hot sauce for dinner. Sometimes for breakfast I'll have a can of spinach. If I eat any really fatty sushi like spicy tuna rolls I just feel toxic. Then I go to the bathroom and everything floats.

I've been trying to branch out here and there but my stomach is very picky. For example I tried oatmeal for awhile but found out it was making my stomach churn and my BM's looked terrible when I ate that stuff. So I'm not really sure about the gluten free route. And even though my BM's look very good I'm still not fixed. My weight is pretty down (generously 140 lbs @ 5'll) and I lose my appetite for the last 2 weeks of my remicade (even though it still looks good when I go to the bathroom if I continue to eat what I'm eating right now). I have a really good appetite for the first two weeks after my remicade but after that I lose it. This is why I can't put on weight. But in terms of BM's, this is the best they've ever been. I was literally face down staring at them a week ago. I couldn't believe they looked so normal. A year and a half ago it was a monstrosity, now it's like they are completely normal if I continue to eat the way I'm eating.

sorry for the long post, it was a bit of a rant but those are the details.

There are a lot of factors involved. I removed dairy from my diet about a year ago. I've been tinkering with my diet over the past year and a half. BM's have slowly gotten better over time, seems like whenever I make a change in my diet. Remove dairy, slight improvement. No red meat, slight improvement. I've been on the same medication for the past 15 years. I also take mesalamine enemas once every now and again.

No dairy, no red meat, no eggs. And I've been experimenting with gluten free lately too.

current diet is literally what I typed out in the post above. Just lots of sushi, I get like 4 salmon rolls and a california roll with salmon for lunch. I also use soy sauce and kimchi sauce with my sushi. And I have like 6 corn tortillas with chicken and onions and hot sauce for dinner. Sometimes for breakfast I'll have a can of spinach. If I eat any really fatty sushi like spicy tuna rolls I just feel toxic. Then I go to the bathroom and everything floats.

I've been trying to branch out here and there but my stomach is very picky. For example I tried oatmeal for awhile but found out it was making my stomach churn and my BM's looked terrible when I ate that stuff. So I'm not really sure about the gluten free route. And even though my BM's look very good I'm still not fixed. My weight is pretty down (generously 140 lbs @ 5'll) and I lose my appetite for the last 2 weeks of my remicade (even though it still looks good when I go to the bathroom if I continue to eat what I'm eating right now). I have a really good appetite for the first two weeks after my remicade but after that I lose it. This is why I can't put on weight. But in terms of BM's, this is the best they've ever been. I was literally face down staring at them a week ago. I couldn't believe they looked so normal. A year and a half ago it was a monstrosity, now it's like they are completely normal if I continue to eat the way I'm eating.

sorry for the long post, it was a bit of a rant but those are the details.
we always like to hear this stuff!! at least when it's related to finding out what is helping you. My disease experiance has been the reverse of yours, I refused meds and believed in the diet connection, but now i would consider meds. I take a small bit of lialda which barely does anything for bms, but makes me feel better and decreases some other disease symptoms.

by any chance was the oatmeal you ate consumed with refined sugar? that may be the reason it lead a to a decline. Otherwise oatmeal seems to agree with me i eat it plain well with salt and cinnamon, but no added sugar.

Thanks for giving more details, i tried to look up info on kimchi sauce and didnt find much, but i do know what kimchi is which i don't think is the same as the kimchi sauce you mentioned. kimchi the fermented vegetables yes but sauce im not sure what in that, cant find any info. I have experienced some improvement in stool appearance/health when eating spinach though so that could be another contributing variable, but it seems more likely now that your suspicians that the sushi could be a main contributer to your improved health.

we always like to hear this stuff!! at least when it's related to finding out what is helping you. My disease experiance has been the reverse of yours, I refused meds and believed in the diet connection, but now i would consider meds. I take a small bit of lialda which barely does anything for bms, but makes me feel better and decreases some other disease symptoms.
I've been there and done that. I've tried for a long time to get off remicade, but I can never completely get off of it. Last time I tried I was doing a paleo type diet and was I literally only ate spinach and steak for 2 months and I still ended up getting sick. I have an anal stricture that really tightens up after around 10 weeks no remicade and it's very painful when I go to the bathroom. During this time my BM's were absolutely terrible even right after my remicades.
by any chance was the oatmeal you ate consumed with refined sugar? that may be the reason it lead a to a decline. Otherwise oatmeal seems to agree with me i eat it plain well with salt and cinnamon, but no added sugar.
I may give the oatmeal another shot now that you mentioned it. It seemed like I did better when I ate the original oatmeal, which had no sweetener or sugar added, and it was just plain vs the maple brown sugar oatmeal which obviously had added sugar. They were both gluten free options so I figured they all had to be fine. I didn't really like the plain original because it just tasted so bland. But you're right it could've been the sugar.
Thanks for giving more details, i tried to look up info on kimchi sauce and didnt find much, but i do know what kimchi is which i don't think is the same as the kimchi sauce you mentioned. kimchi the fermented vegetables yes but sauce im not sure what in that, cant find any info. I have experienced some improvement in stool appearance/health when eating spinach though so that could be another contributing variable, but it seems more likely now that your suspicians that the sushi could be a main contributer to your improved health.
The kimchi sauce is basically just like a korean hot sauce I suppose. It usually comes with the spicy tuna rolls at sushi restaurants to dip your sushi in. It's really tasty, but I think some actually include mayo so I have to be careful.

Take care :)

So interesting!!
I originally would have put money on it being the Omegas from the salmon but I bet you're right after reading how carefully you've managed your diet.
Yay!

I've been there and done that. I've tried for a long time to get off remicade, but I can never completely get off of it. Last time I tried I was doing a paleo type diet and was I literally only ate spinach and steak for 2 months and I still ended up getting sick. I have an anal stricture that really tightens up after around 10 weeks no remicade and it's very painful when I go to the bathroom. During this time my BM's were absolutely terrible even right after my remicades.

I may give the oatmeal another shot now that you mentioned it. It seemed like I did better when I ate the original oatmeal, which had no sweetener or sugar added, and it was just plain vs the maple brown sugar oatmeal which obviously had added sugar. They were both gluten free options so I figured they all had to be fine. I didn't really like the plain original because it just tasted so bland. But you're right it could've been the sugar.

The kimchi sauce is basically just like a korean hot sauce I suppose. It usually comes with the spicy tuna rolls at sushi restaurants to dip your sushi in. It's really tasty, but I think some actually include mayo so I have to be careful.

Take care :)
one more thing too add, i do not eat any meat. That may be another reason i haven't killed myself yet from taking little to no meds for six years. Also i have had no complications really, never had surgery, no blockages nothing else. just the most horrible fatigue and psychological symptoms(anxiety depression ADD.memory issues) and occasionally diarrhea when i stray from my super strict diet.

I wonder just by what I am reading, if you would benefit from undergoing a Traditional Chinese Medicine approach. It comes from the idea that everything in life is balanced, and that includes food (i.e. "warm" and "cold"). You already seem like you're kind of doing it by combining the sushi and sauce, which is awesome if you're feeling great. Maybe seeing a professional who specializes in TCM could really help you out.

I too have experienced the sushi magic... I believe it is the salmon and that raw fish has enzymes that are not experienced in any other type of food along with kimchi which also is fermented. I dont do the kimchi but i down the sushi and try not to go too heavy wit thte rice as glucose is not the friend of the Fibroblast growth factor 19. For me this is my favorite food . I can eat a ton of salmon sashimi and i feel fantastic for a few hours.

I too am on a diet of no dairy little too no egg gluten free and various other disciplines low fat low sugar.

I have always had good bm s from sushi since i started eating it and its the only place i go out to eat at. I beleieve its the Omegas from the fish ...just my 2 cents. Cooked salmon never does the same thing for me.

I too have experienced the sushi magic... I believe it is the salmon and that raw fish has enzymes that are not experienced in any other type of food along with kimchi which also is fermented. I dont do the kimchi but i down the sushi and try not to go too heavy wit thte rice as glucose is not the friend of the Fibroblast growth factor 19. For me this is my favorite food . I can eat a ton of salmon sashimi and i feel fantastic for a few hours.

I too am on a diet of no dairy little too no egg gluten free and various other disciplines low fat low sugar.

I have always had good bm s from sushi since i started eating it and its the only place i go out to eat at. I beleieve its the Omegas from the fish ...just my 2 cents. Cooked salmon never does the same thing for me.
poppysocks was using kimchi sauce which is not traditional kimchi.

Still in process of trying to get into redhill map trial And I just recently received my bloodwork back.

My crp has been hovering around 4.6 for the past few years. It was 4.6 when I last had it done in August.

It was 0.15 when I got results back yesterday. My hemoglobin, hematocrit and rbc count have all normalized. Hgb went from 11.8 6 months ago to 13.8 yesterday. There was not one thing out of range on my blood work. Still can't believe it. Nothing has changed with my medications. I've been getting remicade for the last 15 years.

I had fecal cal done too to see if I'd qualify. I had it done 6 months ago and it was 1240. We'll see what it is now. Should have results by end if week.

That's all great news! And my happiest takeaway is that your bloodwork looks that good after being in Remicade that long!!

Still in process of trying to get into redhill map trial And I just recently received my bloodwork back.

My crp has been hovering around 4.6 for the past few years. It was 4.6 when I last had it done in August.

It was 0.15 when I got results back yesterday. My hemoglobin, hematocrit and rbc count have all normalized. Hgb went from 11.8 6 months ago to 13.8 yesterday. There was not one thing out of range on my blood work. Still can't believe it. Nothing has changed with my medications. I've been getting remicade for the last 15 years.

I had fecal cal done too to see if I'd qualify. I had it done 6 months ago and it was 1240. We'll see what it is now. Should have results by end if week.
sounds great! Just to be clear, are you suggesting the new diet regimen is responsible for these improvements?

Last edited:
I have found rice to be the magic food. For me its ussually with hamburger but i dont have any problems with red meat. After my 2nd surgery i started buying all of my meat both pork and beef farm raised by friends.

I can't remember the last time my poop has looked this good. It literally comes out like a log, perfectly, and sinks to the bottom. I seriously can't remember the last time I saw it look so perfect.
It is great when this happens isn't it. I just want to take a photo and proudly show everyone......have to constantly remind myself that absolutely NO-ONE would be interested, and indeed they may have me committed to a special hospital should I follow through on this idea :ylol:

Two reasons why this could possibly be is helping is:

1) Seaweed and fish (especially red salmon used in sushi) are anti-inflammatories and omega-3's.

It has been proven that a diet high in omega-3's will help to lower inflammation. That is why fish oil is used to treat inflammation like C&UC and arthritis.

2) The rice would be classed as fibre and it would be helping to shape and push out your bowel movements

I have recently experienced exactly the same as you. But that was from having chia seed gel in my juice every day for the past three weeks.

My coworker introduced me to Sushi a few weeks back. I've been eating a ton of salmon rolls and california rolls

I tried making california rolls at home using the traditional mats - and it was a disaster.

Then I brought a Sushezi (http://www.sushezi.com) and was pumping them out left, right and centre.

At least with making your own you can control exactly what goes in them.

My fecal cal is still pretty high, based on the results I received back today. I think it would take a long time for something like that to go down, especially considering how long I've had this illness for. They did a colonoscopy 7 months ago and I had a stricture so bad at the time they couldn't even get a few inches up. I don't think it would matter what I eat it would take a while for that level of inflammation to go down.

But my bloodwork is still the best it's ever been

I have no idea what kimchi sauce they use. I get it as a to go order and they put it in a small little to go cup I can dip my sushi in. I honestly don't think the sauce is that big of a deal I think it's more just the sushi in general.
from my research, the sauce could be fermented soy beans and fermented chili peppers, or rather go-cho-chu-jang or some variation of this. There is something called bowman birk inhibitors(protease inhibitor) in fermented soy products which have been shown in human UC study to reduce symptoms, so it really could be contributing. Also soy sauce and possibly fermented soy paste contain polyamines, which also can stimulate autophagy, something very important in crohn's disease which helps clear intercellular bacteria. in other words it could be playing an important role in addition to the rice and seaweed.

but the Salmon also contains a carotenoid called astaxanthin which also has suppress mouse models of IBD and is an antioxidant that is 100 times more potent then vitamin e.

one way a protease inhibitor could be helping is that the pathogens that are found in the guts of crohn's seem to be proteobacteria, which create proteases that digest proteins. proteases themselves are known to activate an inflammatory response, by inhibiting the proteases with bbi in soy, inflammation may be reduced, this is one way bbi in fermented soy could be helping. who knows if any of this is true in your specific case, but i have been reading a few studies to try to provide some scientific basis to back up your testimony and experiences.

If someone were to recreate your experience it would be nice to know exactly what is in the sauce, but i have considered your observation of the type and quality of salmon to be important as well, they "fatty" salmon as you described it, could be a cheaper salmon called chum salmon, which may not have as much astaxanthin. Just trying to bring this to a higher degree of sophistication that's all, if one were to adhere to the scientific standard of reproducability, the instructions must be clear and specific.

from my research, the sauce could be fermented soy beans and fermented chili peppers, or rather go-cho-chu-jang or some variation of this. There is something called bowman birk inhibitors(protease inhibitor) in fermented soy products which have been shown in human UC study to reduce symptoms, so it really could be contributing. Also soy sauce and possibly fermented soy paste contain polyamines, which also can stimulate autophagy, something very important in crohn's disease which helps clear intercellular bacteria. in other words it could be playing an important role in addition to the rice and seaweed.

but the Salmon also contains a carotenoid called astaxanthin which also has suppress mouse models of IBD and is an antioxidant that is 100 times more potent then vitamin e.

one way a protease inhibitor could be helping is that the pathogens that are found in the guts of crohn's seem to be proteobacteria, which create proteases that digest proteins. proteases themselves are known to activate an inflammatory response, by inhibiting the proteases with bbi in soy, inflammation may be reduced, this is one way bbi in fermented soy could be helping. who knows if any of this is true in your specific case, but i have been reading a few studies to try to provide some scientific basis to back up your testimony and experiences.

If someone were to recreate your experience it would be nice to know exactly what is in the sauce, but i have considered your observation of the type and quality of salmon to be important as well, they "fatty" salmon as you described it, could be a cheaper salmon called chum salmon, which may not have as much astaxanthin. Just trying to bring this to a higher degree of sophistication that's all, if one were to adhere to the scientific standard of reproducability, the instructions must be clear and specific.
Very interesting, thank you for the insight. Also, I usually don't come across any fatty salmon. At one point I was eating the "spicy tuna rolls" which are extremely fatty. I was reading that the tuna they take is just the crappiest part of the fish near the underbelly (very fatty) but it taste amazing which is why they use it. When I was eating these my BM's were floating and I felt toxic. I learned through trial and error that the salmon rolls made me feel the best, and my bloodwork, as well as my BM's have proven it. Also, interesting to note on the chum salmon. I have suspected some sushi restaurants provide better quality salmon than others, but can't confirm. It would be pretty easy to tell by just looking at the salmon and tasting it I think. I go to the same place every day for lunch, after trying out many different sushi restaurants around town.

I also eat a ton of chicken tacos with corn tortillas (can't be wheat) that seems to really make me feel good too. This is my dinner. Can't eat too many peppers, only onions. LOL. So much of this is just trial and error. Those two meals do the trick for me though (the sushi and the tacos). For example, I had a frozen meal tonight as a midnight snack because I was hungry (an amy's g free d free enchilada). My stomach has been sore for a lot of the night. So that's a check off the list.

Very interesting, thank you for the insight. Also, I usually don't come across any fatty salmon. At one point I was eating the "spicy tuna rolls" which are extremely fatty. I was reading that the tuna they take is just the crappiest part of the fish near the underbelly (very fatty) but it taste amazing which is why they use it. When I was eating these my BM's were floating and I felt toxic. I learned through trial and error that the salmon rolls made me feel the best, and my bloodwork, as well as my BM's have proven it. Also, interesting to note on the chum salmon. I have suspected some sushi restaurants provide better quality salmon than others, but can't confirm. It would be pretty easy to tell by just looking at the salmon and tasting it I think. I go to the same place every day for lunch, after trying out many different sushi restaurants around town.

I also eat a ton of chicken tacos with corn tortillas (can't be wheat) that seems to really make me feel good too. This is my dinner. Can't eat too many peppers, only onions. LOL. So much of this is just trial and error. Those two meals do the trick for me though (the sushi and the tacos). For example, I had a frozen meal tonight as a midnight snack because I was hungry (an amy's g free d free enchilada). My stomach has been sore for a lot of the night. So that's a check off the list.
Tuna has a high amount of mercury in it that might make you feel toxic or something while salmon is generally lower. Also since this is raw fish the possibility of the meat being contaminated with bacteria also exists and that would almost certainly increase your symptoms. Perhaps I didn't recall your claim correctly that you had problems associated with the fatty tuna, i thought it was variations of the salmon which seemed to give you problems.
It's doubtful that the tacos would have any significant effect on your disease other then they would be replacing any other food that might be more of an irritant. All signs seem to be pointing to the sushi(salmon, rice, seaweed), soy sauce and hot sauce, am I missing anything else?

Last edited:
Tuna has a high amount of mercury in it that might make you feel toxic or something while salmon is generally lower. Also since this is raw fish the possibility of the meat being contaminated with bacteria also exists and that would almost certainly increase your symptoms. Perhaps I didn't recall your claim correctly that you had problems associated with the fatty tuna, i thought it was variations of the salmon which seemed to give you problems.
It's doubtful that the tacos would have any significant effect on your disease other then they would be replacing any other food that might be more of an irritant. All signs seem to be pointing to the sushi(salmon, rice, seaweed), soy sauce and hot sauce, am I missing anything else?
Nope. Although I will disagree with you on the tacos. Yes, it sounds crazy. I think I had a gluten intolerance because I switched from wheat (gluten) tortillas to corn tortillas around the same time I started the sushi thing. I could tell right away that the switch was doing something because I didn't feel like passing out from exhaustion after I ate.

I've also experimented a few times since then with wheat. Usually every time I eat a wheat bun or a bagel, what it mostly effect is my energy level and cognitive functions. My head gets cloudy and my energy level goes way down, usually for multiple days.

Nope. Although I will disagree with you on the tacos. Yes, it sounds crazy. I think I had a gluten intolerance because I switched from wheat (gluten) tortillas to corn tortillas around the same time I started the sushi thing. I could tell right away that the switch was doing something because I didn't feel like passing out from exhaustion after I ate.

I've also experimented a few times since then with wheat. Usually every time I eat a wheat bun or a bagel, what it mostly effect is my energy level and cognitive functions. My head gets cloudy and my energy level goes way down, usually for multiple days.
I have had similar experiences with wheat and also different types of vegetables, my conclusion is that it is not the gluten but pesticides and herbicides residue remaining on the food, which suppress good bacteria, something that is already low in our bodies. We feel the effects a bit more then the average folks without GI issues. I have experienced the mental cloudiness as well.

I have eaten one brand of frozen veggies for years, one time my grocer didn't restock and i tried buying fresh broccoli and caulifower instead, and i was more tired and had chest pains and my heart rate increased and my bowel movements changed. went back to the usual frozen veggie brand all those symptoms gone.

same experience with wheat, I have been making my own bread products with gold medal flour with no big issues, I switch to another brand and all the same changes in symptoms appear as with the veggies. The other brand was king arthur flour which was organic and supposedly contains less herbicides then conventional. so its probably not the gluten otherwise all wheat would do this to me and why would the veggies do something similar?

I have read a recent study showing GM soybeans tend to accumulate roundup herbicide(glyphosate) more then conventional grown. Perhaps somehow that's what happening to the GM wheat too, but perhaps its happening with all herbicides and pesticides.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308814613019201

Just to give some updates, I have been eating the same way for this entire year. There's a reason I don't post much here anymore.
I have been able to put on about 20 pounds since march. I now weigh around 155 pounds which I think is a good weight at 5 10 and I look more healthy than most people my age. I get glances from girls now.... :)) of course I tell myself this in my head, but I guess that could be placebo!

Typing out the way I feel doesn't do this justice. But the facts here remain , my bloodwork , specifically, my crp has normalized. I can put on weight now, and hold it on. Previously I was unable to do this. I have way more energy now than I did before I started eating like this. My productivity has improved at work. My bowel movements haven't looked this good since I was a kid.

I have had this disease since I was 8 yrs old. I have always been described by doctors as a very severe case. I can literally say I've never felt this way before, and I am not kidding.

The sushi I eat has been the main contributor to this. And not just sushi in general, specific kind. Salmon rolls and California rolls, nothing fried, no cream cheese of anything. Only salmon as the fish. I suspect I could try different minds of sushi to get some variety, but I am fine eating these foods everyday cause I actually enjoy them. I suspect the sushi rice is having a major beneficial effect, because I eat regular rice and, although it doesn't cause my pain, I don't get the mental burst of energy and clearness that I do when I eat the sushi. I. I suspect the way it is processed, and rinsed repeatedly, removes some of the unnecessary material out of the rice, so that all is left is pure nutrition.

The tacos I have had to mix it up a bit. I've has to dump hot sauce, onion, lettuce, jalapeño avocado , and even beans because all this stuff didn't agree with me, or over time began to disagree with me. I am literally just estng corn tortillas and chicken. But I actually still eat it voraciously. I salt pan and cook the tortillas so they are crispy. It tastes great.

It's always a delight and a shame when you find a commercial product that becomes a cornerstone of your diet.

If they ever stop making Amy's gluten free mac and cheese IDK what I'd do. I can't eat most rice grains but whichever ones they use in Amy's I can have just fine.

I'm scared to try sushi because of this, and because I need a thorough ingredients list in everything to make sure no soy sauce or canola oil is used.

I ate my first sushi this afternoon. It was a salmon Nigiri. Its taste was good; but the price was way too high. I don't think it is worth the money as an every day food.
---

One thing, while shopping, I found organic sausage today. It doesn't have nitrite, casein or gluten. I bought it and made it this evening. I'm satisfied. It is very good to find a good food to add my very restricted diet.

Poppysocks, have you ever considered making salmon sushi in your home? Ever tried?
Yes. I will try eventually, as it is very expensive. Luckily I am single and make a decent salary for my age.i usually make dinner at home and order sushi for lunch. And since I've been really working on putting on weight the last 6 months I've been eating a lot, so I've noticed it in my account. You can't put a price on health though.

I have also switched my dinner routine up. I now make chicken and rice. But the rice I use is sushi rice. It seems to be really helping.

I make it like the video below.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lEkSoYKhX2o

I think one thing that is so important that many don't realize is the importance of washing off rice before eating it. This is how the Japanese and Chinese make their rice. Because it just sits in warehouses collecting dust, particles and other contaminants. You can see when he washed off the rice all the milky stuff that comes out. This is what happens when I make the rice too. If you don't get that stuff off you could be eating lots of stuff that isn't good for you.

It's tough because I may sound like a quack at times but is really think this has improved my dinner routine. I think my body just got tired of corn tortillas.

I also went to my doctor recently, and the last thing he said to me before I left was " stay healthy". He acknowledged my bloodwork is completely normal, crp is low. And my weight is up 20 pounds. I asked him about stopping remicade and he said to start pushing them farther apart and see where I feel.

That's where I'm at right now.

It's always a delight and a shame when you find a commercial product that becomes a cornerstone of your diet.

If they ever stop making Amy's gluten free mac and cheese IDK what I'd do. I can't eat most rice grains but whichever ones they use in Amy's I can have just fine.

I'm scared to try sushi because of this, and because I need a thorough ingredients list in everything to make sure no soy sauce or canola oil is used.
Have you ever tried sushi rice? And white rice? A lot of "rice" at the markets have so many other things in them, especially yellow rice. If you look at the ingredient statement there's like 20 other ingredients.

I would only eat white rice. And preferably sushi rice because it is more stick and can bind things together. It's also so important to wash rice off before cooking it!

Poppysocks, thanks for that link. I have sushi rice in my house. I'll cook it tomorrow with organic chicken. I hope you continue staying healthy.

Let me know how it goes!
Made my first sushi rice today and ate it with chicken. I always make long grain organic rice so I was skeptical at first. Sushi rice, while very expensive here, tastes good- even better then my regular rice. Lighter and stickier than long grain rice which is good for me. I guess its glycemic index is considerably lower than my regular long grain rice.

I've actually considered buying salmon and eating it raw in my house but contamination is a concerning issue for me so I won't do that.

I agree on the taste. I usually sprinkle some salt on the rice, pour the cooked chicken that is cut into little bits and eat it like that. I eat like 3 entire plates of it. Tastes amazing.

In sure it's possible with the salmon. Just have to make sure everything is sanitized (knife, cutting board , etc) and clean hands. I have not ventured down this road yet so I am not as experienced.

Side note- I actually made some sushi rice the other day from whole foods. It's was the whole foods brand, and it didn't seem nearly as sticky as the rice I usually use. I think some brands are better than others.

Stickiness of the sushi rice and its light taste makes it the most delicious rice I've ever eaten. I've been cooking it every day since the first day. I eat it with organic chicken. They're easy on the gut and nutritious.
I won't use long grain rice again.

I also eat a ton of chicken tacos with corn tortillas (can't be wheat) that seems to really make me feel good too.
Poppysocks, were you making the corn tortillas yourself or were they shop bought?

Because I've tried making them myself and they just keep falling apart (is this because of the lack of gluten?)...all the shop bought varieties I can find mix the corn flour with a wheat of some kind...

Stickiness of the sushi rice and its light taste makes it the most delicious rice I've ever eaten. I've been cooking it every day since the first day. I eat it with organic chicken. They're easy on the gut and nutritious.
I won't use long grain rice again.
Great to hear!

Poppysocks, were you making the corn tortillas yourself or were they shop bought?

Because I've tried making them myself and they just keep falling apart (is this because of the lack of gluten?)...all the shop bought varieties I can find mix the corn flour with a wheat of some kind...
They were bought at publix. I buy the la banderita corn tortillas and they say gluten free on the label, so I am sure there is no wheat.

After I cook my chicken in my stainless steel pan I sprinkle some salt into the pan and throw 2 tortillas on skillet for 3 -6 minutes in medium heat. This makes the tortilla slightly crispy and salty, which I love.

I was eating only sushi rice and chicken for dinner, which makes me feel great, but for the last few nights I've mixed it up with tacos and sushi rice and chicken. It seems to be working fine so far. Bm's still look great, although I may switch back to sushi rice and chicken again if I notice the tortillas start bothering me.

I was eating Rice crackers for awhile, they were store bought kawame brand, and I noticed it wasn't making me feel too well so I stopped eating them.

The litmus test for me, is when you can stuff yourself with a food, and you feel great after you eat. You don't feel drowsy, or tired, or brain foggy. If I feel mentally energetic after I stuff myself, that is usually a very good sign.

That and bowel movements of course.

Okay sushi might be magic or something. I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and buy some last night.

It had some stuff in it that had me a bit nervous. This morning I had a huge solid BM and my chronic gas has been almost non existent all morning.

I'm trying to avoid ones with tuna because I'm afraid of mercury.

Shame it's so expensive. $10 for a small meal.

I was eating Rice crackers for awhile, they were store bought kawame brand, and I noticed it wasn't making me feel too well so I stopped eating them.

The litmus test for me, is when you can stuff yourself with a food, and you feel great after you eat. You don't feel drowsy, or tired, or brain foggy. If I feel mentally energetic after I stuff myself, that is usually a very good sign.

That and bowel movements of course.
I agree, though -at least for me- I can add increase of intestinal pain, tachycardia and simple headache or migraine as bad signs If I get them after eating something.

Okay sushi might be magic or something. I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and buy some last night.

It had some stuff in it that had me a bit nervous. This morning I had a huge solid BM and my chronic gas has been almost non existent all morning.

I'm trying to avoid ones with tuna because I'm afraid of mercury.

Shame it's so expensive. $10 for a small meal.
Yep.

Someone earlier in this thread posted something you could buy called the sushezi. You can always just try and make it yourself if it's too expensive.

Guys, just try the rice sticks. Rice stick is the thicker version of rice noodles OR it is the same thing with rice noodles. Kind of like rice spaghetti. It is easy on gut, easy to cook (easiest I've ever done- just boil it for 3-4 minutes and it is ready) and delicious. Real delicious, much better than ordinary rice. It goes well with fish. I don't eat regular rice anymore.

In addition, I think rice sticks can be a great help for gaining weight.

I eat it by itself, I don't put anything on it; but I have a very restricted diet so maybe you can find something to put on it.

I ate some rice sticks yesterday and it did seem to go down easy, and it didn't make me tired. BM s looked good.

Taste just like pasta.

Side note - it seems like as I try to spread my remicades out I start losing my voracious appetite around 4-5 weeks. My weight is still pretty good (154 @511) but id like to put a little bit more on. This could just be placebo because my BMs still look good and I'm not in any pain. This is my only complaint. Going back in this thread I had the same thoughts 6 months ago but I still put on close to 20 pounds. That last 5 pounds you want to gain is always the hardest.

Also - thanks for the news food crohns257! Based on how I felt yesterday I may start incorporating rice sticks into my diet more often. It's great we have more people trying these types of foods out. I feel as if it is an untapped goldmind for crohns people.

edit - Looks like it was actually the Green Tea that was messing with my appetite. No more Green Tea for me!

Last edited:
The rice spaghetti doesn't seem to make me feel as great as the Sushi Rice, but it has helped put on a little weight. It's made my lower right side a little sore also.

I've been baking my own bread for some time. It has helped me gain weight tremendously! I only use rice flour for this 'bread'. For recipe, you can search for 'gluten free, yeast free, dairy free bread recipe' in google.

My recipe:
1.5 cup rice flour
1 cup water
5 grams of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
1.5 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 egg yolk

Mix them really well. I use a mixer. Then bake it in your pre heated (175 C*) oven for 35 minutes. It is ready.