• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Symptoms getting worse, awaiting referral, help please!

Hello everyone. I have been having problems which started as passing a little blood á year ago.
Since then the blood has increased, I pass alot of mucus (both blood and mucus are mixed up in stool and on their own), increasing urgency to go (often just to pass blood/mucus, if I don't get to a toilet in time i leak), and i am getting diarrhoea more often. It often feels like I need to go but there's nothing there. I feel an uncomfortable ache /pressure in my lower back /back passage and have been getting cramps in my lower stomach recently. I go between feeling ravenous to the point of headache and a guy dizziness, or slightly nauseous.
This started when I was pregnant so was just put down to pregnancy! Symptoms subsided after birth but I had a flexible sigmoidoscopy just to be safe which came back clear. Á couple of months ago symptoms started again and have increased rapidly. Bloods came back fine but stool showed inflammation, so I am waiting for a hospital referral.
I am starting to wonder about the mucus.... It is a dark yellow colour mixed with blood, and it smells like death :( could it be pus? Does this sound like ibd?

Thankyou, sorry for tmi!

Hello everyone. I have been having problems which started as passing a little blood á year ago.
Since then the blood has increased, I pass alot of mucus (both blood and mucus are mixed up in stool and on their own), increasing urgency to go (often just to pass blood/mucus, if I don't get to a toilet in time i leak), and i am getting diarrhoea more often. It often feels like I need to go but there's nothing there. I feel an uncomfortable ache /pressure in my lower back /back passage and have been getting cramps in my lower stomach recently. I go between feeling ravenous to the point of headache and a guy dizziness, or slightly nauseous.
This started when I was pregnant so was just put down to pregnancy! Symptoms subsided after birth but I had a flexible sigmoidoscopy just to be safe which came back clear. Á couple of months ago symptoms started again and have increased rapidly. Bloods came back fine but stool showed inflammation, so I am waiting for a hospital referral.
I am starting to wonder about the mucus.... It is a dark yellow colour mixed with blood, and it smells like death :( could it be pus? Does this sound like ibd?

Thankyou, sorry for tmi!
The problem with IBD is that it shares symptoms with a number of other diseases. The only way to get a diagnosis is to have more tests unfortunately. Mucus from your rectum can be different colours and smells, often depending on what you've eaten. The important thing is to concentrate on the colour and quantity of blood you are losing. Talk to your Dr, it's the only way to definitely alay your fears.

my little penguin

Staff member
Also realize a flex sig looks at very little
Only reviewed the rectum and sigmoid colon
It misses the ascending /descending/and transverse colon
Plus all of the small intestine
Most need a full colonoscopy /capsule endoscopy /MRE to confirm -rule out Crohns

A fecal caloprotectin is a simple stool test used to determine if any inflammation is present regardless of the cause (infection Crohns other GI issue ...)
Definitely talk to a GI about your concerns

Thank you everyone. I am waiting to hear from the hospital with a referral for me, hopefully they will do more tests as something definitely isn't right! I just wondered if any of these symptoms were similar to what others had experienced? It was my GP that mentioned crohn's but said I probably didn't have it if I weren't in alot of pain, though I thought the stool inflammation was an indication of ibd.

I didn't have pain, and still don't. You need to see a gastroenterologist. Hopefully you'll get some answers soon.

Hi again. An update on this. I had a colonoscopy and biopsies, initial results suggest inflammation just in the rectum so they think proctitis which is good or guess! Just wondering if the calprotectin levels can be that raised by inflammation so near the end of the digestive system? And odd how I get stomach pain with it too...

Hi again. An update on this. I had a colonoscopy and biopsies, initial results suggest inflammation just in the rectum so they think proctitis which is good or guess! Just wondering if the calprotectin levels can be that raised by inflammation so near the end of the digestive system? And odd how I get stomach pain with it too...
yes the more inflammation is in the end of the digestive system, the more calprotectin may be higher

Oh OK thanks! I was worried raised calprotectin could be indicative of inflammation higher up. I do worry about the lower back ache and stomach pains I've had, as well as feeling very unwell earlier in the year, but I guess the biopsies show what's going on!