• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Lymphangitis cause of Crohn's Disease?

I'm summarizing some papers I recently read. It talks about new observations of a possible cause that was first hypothesized many decades ago.

Immunologist at Washington University St. Louis [1] are looking at possibility that something going awry in the intestinal lymphatic system may underlie Crohn's disease. Using advanced 3D microscopy to view long segments of intestinal tissue, they observed that the lymphatic system of CD patients was altered and key vessels were often constricted. NIH has provided an award for the researchers to pursue this promising lead.

The Kruningen paper [2], walks back an interesting history of earlier research and pathology findings in Crohn's Disease, where they were able to look at treatment naive tissue samples that were not altered or distorted from use of steroids, immunomodulators and biologics. What they observed was segmental distribution of changes below lymphoid follicles of Peyer's patches, in the basal portions of the lamina propria, and in the submucosal layers of the intestine. These lesions are lymphocitic thrombi and large collections of lymphocytes often containing granulomas, all characteristics of chronic lymphangitis.

The Kruningen paper goes on to describe how another researcher, TV Kalima, carried on an experiment in both rats and pigs, where they manually obstructed short segments of the lymphatics of the small intestines, and the animals developed segmented intestinal disease characterized by the same sort of changes observed in Crohn's Disease. Namely, aggregation of lymphocytes, thickening of the intestinal walls, and development of fistulas. They point out that no animal model has been able to achieve such resemblance to Crohn's Disease, and many of the current animal experimental models where they use agents such as dextran sodium sulfate to simulate damage only effects the mucosal layer but doesn't exhibit the transmural regional enteritis that you see in Crohn's.

This research is suggesting exploration of whether lymphocytic, granulomatous lymphangitis may be the triggering cause of Crohn's Disease, and if so, what agents (bacteria, viruses, particles) target the lymphatic endothelium to trigger the disease.

[1] Creative Minds: New Piece in the Crohn's Disease Puzzle?
https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2016/06/09/creative-minds-new-piece-in-the-crohns-disease-puzzle/

[2] The forgotten role of lymphangitis in Crohn's disease
H J Van Kruiningen, Jean-Fre´de´ric Colombel

Interesting! I was talking recently with researchers at Washington University in St. Louis and they mentioned how there are recent findings that could cause a paradigm shift in how we view Crohn's. I also talked with the researcher who has my resection sample in her freezer! Hopefully doing my part to help. :)

Interesting! I was talking recently with researchers at Washington University in St. Louis and they mentioned how there are recent findings that could cause a paradigm shift in how we view Crohn's. I also talked with the researcher who has my resection sample in her freezer! Hopefully doing my part to help. :)
Washington University in St. louis has been a leader in microbiome research so I'm sure they may be referring to that, and therapies such as fecal microbiota transplants which aim to restore this altered microbiome.

Has anyone identified any possible bacterium or viruses that they suspect may be involved with the lymphatic system?

Very interesting hypotheses.

Dan

Has anyone identified any possible bacterium or viruses that they suspect may be involved with the lymphatic system?

Very interesting hypotheses.

Dan
The Van Kruiningen paper mentions some bacteria that are notable for producing lymphangitis, including streptococci, corynebacteria, pasteurellas and nocardia. It further states, "though not well appreciated, viruses can induce similar changes—for example, herpes viruses, adenoviruses, and parvoviruses." There was also mentioned that in a dog animal model, microparticles, may also be be culpable in plugging up the lymphatic vessels and causing lymphangitits.

I hope Ms. Randolph's new research out of Washington University will study this aspect and more specifically try to identify the culprit.