• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stool color while on Elemental diet???

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hi guys,

I need the help of people who tried Elemental diet only, E028 extra or Vivonex, tolerex, etc.

Stools are expected to turn green after a few days.

is this a yellow-green or leafy-grass-like green???

im yellow-green and wondering if that is the expected color.

please share by mentioning your Elemental brand.

thanks
LO

emmaaaargh

Staff member
I was on EEN with solely E028 and my stool didn't go green at all. Doesn't that generally mean a fast transit time? I'm not sure! I think mine remained fairly normal (if happening less frequently!). Where does it say the stool is expected to turn green? :0

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hi Emma!

Dr. J. Hunter from UK mentions it in his book p.96 :

''You'll probably notice that your stools turn green and you develop bad breath.These are normal effects and show that the feed is working by reducing the activities of your bowel bacteria.''

I read somewhere cant find it right now that the green color is in fact the bile that is no longer broken down by the food and bacterias. Or something like that. I must clarify this and find the exact information.

I have been thinking that when we vomit and the stomach is empty, only the bile comes out, but mine is yellow, not green... I think then that I am good with the yellow-green color of my stools now.

Dr. Hunter uses E028 extra.

Did it work for you Emma? How long did you stay on it?
thx for sharing.

emmaaaargh

Staff member
Good to hear it's working for you!! The bile thing makes sense, I think. I was on the E028 for six weeks after surgery as bowel rest, and I ended up putting on lots of weight and even growing a few inches so that was a pretty good outcome. Can't say I'd ever want to do it again, though! But that's just me :D I hope it goes well for you!!

Mine were always a dark green colour on E028 - what I'd call bottle green.
Sarah i could be incorrect but iv noticed you've mentioned using EN a few times, does that Do the trick for you to get back into remission each time?

I think the longest I lasted was 2 full weeks and started to feel worse so gave up assuming the sugars were just too harsh for me :(

Sarah i could be incorrect but iv noticed you've mentioned using EN a few times, does that Do the trick for you to get back into remission each time?

I think the longest I lasted was 2 full weeks and started to feel worse so gave up assuming the sugars were just too harsh for me :(
Hi Joshuaaa,

I've been on E028 3 or 4 times now. I'm not 100% sure whether it really works for me, it certainly doesn't make a massive difference. My last stint on E028 was just before Christmas, and whilst my pain levels were much reduced by the time I finished it (4 weeks) my inflammatory marker (ESR) showed my inflammation levels had gone up. I tried to get my IBD nurse to let me do a Calprotectin test to find out once and for all whether I was getting any benefit from the EN but in her infinite wisdom she refused to let me do one.

I did at one point find that the E028 was making me feel worse, and then I discovered that I wasn't getting on with the Forest Fruits flavoured one in particular. No idea why but maybe that's something you could consider if you ever try EN again.

Sorry, I didn't really manage to answer your question!

Sarah

That's okay :) yeah my cal protectin was the highest it had ever been on modulen, so do you use it to keep your weight on? Or when your stomach hurts too much to eat?