• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns

crohns

Diagnosed with Crohns a year ago, first flare up recently. Put on Lialda.Today is day 7 and has helped with symptoms but side effects are severe stiffness and joint pain in area where I had hip replacement 13 years ago. Any advice? I know Alleve is bad but it helps.

I'm guilty of using Ibuprofen when I've got pain. It will definitely make it harder for you to get into remission though so I can't recommend it (but I do commiserate). I've never experienced joint stiffness from Lialda and I'm not even sure if that's a listed side effect, is it?

Talk to your doc. You might even be better off with Demerol or Vicodin than Ibuprofen, though I'd caution you heavily about narcotic pain drugs. I've got no experience with Crohn's as it effects joint replacements but I'm willing to bet someone on here does. Welcome! (I'm pretty new to the forum myself, but I've got 28 years of Crohn's experience.)

HI JRSN, alleve is bad for crohn's because it's a NSAID and all NSAID's are bad for crohn's like advil, ibuprofen, aspirin, ASA, all products of this nature. You could ask your doctor about tramadol it treats moderate pain to severe pain. and it's not a NSAID. best wishes

scott

There is no listed side effect and I am terrified to take narcotics; don't do any drug well; just one puts me out. Thanks for any advice.

The joint pain and stiffness are almost certainly from your Crohn's and not the Lialda, but definitely ask your doctor about it. If this is your first flare then you won't have quite mastered listening to your body yet. Soon enough you'll be experienced enough that it will tell you what's going on to some degree (meds, illness, food, etc)

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! I am glad Lialda seems to be helping your Crohn's, but I am sorry to hear you are having side effects. I take Lialda, as well, but I can't say I have experienced any similar issues. Did your joints hurt before starting Lialda? Many with Crohn's experience joint pain.

Careful with the NSAID's - they are tough on the gut!

I was diagnosed w/ Crohn's Colitis 3 years ago and I had all of the typical symptoms. One of my symptoms was severe joint pain in my ankles (plus they we're very swollen) which is a symptom of Crohn's. When I woke up from the colonoscopy, my doctor told me I had Crohn's and immediately started me on Lialda. I went back 2 weeks later for a follow up and I felt a tiny bit better with the Lialda, but not great. My doc kept me on Lialda but he also got me started on 6 MP. Once I started taking the Lialda and the 6 MP together, I finally started feeling better and the symptoms started to go away...for a while anyway. I ended up stopping the meds after a year because eventually they just didn't work for me anymore and I couldn't take any larger doses of 6 MP.

I hope you feel better!!! But yes, joint pain is a symptom of Crohn's along with some other lovely symptoms :wink: