• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How do you face a first surgery?

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
How do you cope with the anxiety, the uncertainty of outcome and the fear of pain.
Talking to someone, doctor, psychologist, friends, here on the forum.....

Do some research, but be aware usually worst case scenarios are found on the internet - stick with credible sources such as hospital web sites for information on whatever surgery is to be performed. This site is a wealth of knowledge too.

Make a checklist of questions to bring up with your doctor, also during pre-op testing (which is usually required).

As for pain - remember pain is temporary, and there are ways to control it - do NOT be afraid to ask about pain relief, different options etc.

I'm probably looking at knee surgery in the near future, I had it done 20+ years ago and vaguely remember what I went through.....I know from experience over the years to keep up on pain meds, as trying to get through breakthrough pain after meds wear off can be a real pain in the arse.

After surgery, do not be afraid to talk to your doctor/surgeon especially if something doesn't seen right.