• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

He's mad at me~again

My husband R.C., was given Cipro & Flagyl for a bacterial intestinal infection. The instructions for the Cipro says that you're not supposed to take it 2 hours before or 6 hours after consuming an iron or calcium rich product. R.C. loves to drink his Ensure before bed but the pharmacist said Ensure counts as an iron/calcium rich product. So I reminded my husband he couldnt drink it AND take his meds. He got mad at me. He thinks I like telling him no. I dont. I hate that hes restricted on his food & now at least for a week he cant have his Ensure when he wants it. I try my best to help him get better . But he pushes and resists. I tried explaining that he could get really sick if he didnt take the Ciro. That it could spread and cause more damage in his intestines. I try to understand what this CD is like for him but I cant. I dont have it so I dont know how it feels. But I listen to him. I try to make things easier. He just gets mad. I tell myself its his frustration with Crohns thats making him short fused because I know it is. But what does he want me to do? Let him have what he wants even if it means he cantake his meds? Ugh....sorry if I sound insensitive. I dont mean to. I'm just frustrated, worried & sad

I would highly suggest he gets on a strong probiotic quickly! I took Cipro a few months back and still trying to get my stomach back on track! The Cipro felt as though it was going to kill me. It was suggested I take Natren Healthy Trinity and I found an immediate difference. Doc told me to beef up to a few a day and then back down to a 1/day dosage. I also beefed up on Vit D, which I was told is a natural antibiotic. His crabbiness is probably also due to feeling so horrible on the Cipro and then being denied one of his favorite things...

I would highly suggest he gets on a strong probiotic quickly! I took Cipro a few months back and still trying to get my stomach back on track! The Cipro felt as though it was going to kill me. It was suggested I take Natren Healthy Trinity and I found an immediate difference. Doc told me to beef up to a few a day and then back down to a 1/day dosage. I also beefed up on Vit D, which I was told is a natural antibiotic. His crabbiness is probably also due to feeling so horrible on the Cipro and then being denied one of his favorite things...

Thanks so much Mickey. He was on acidophulis for about 7 months. I didnt ask the doc I just had him taking it. And probiotics really do amazing things. I thought about that for the infection (Cipro tore me up years ago its some rough stuff) but can he take it with the antibiotics? Cause well the pro-anti thing? Hes also taking Flagyl .

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
He can take probiotics with antibiotics, a lot of people on here do but personally I think it wont do much if anything because the antibiotics will kill off the bacteria you're trying to put in. How long does he have to take the antibiotics for? Once he's off of them that's a great time to add back the good bacteria that the antibiotics killed off.

He can take probiotics withl antibiotics, a lot of people on here do but personally I think it wont do much if anything because the antibiotics will kill off the bacteria you're trying to put in. How long does he have to take the antibiotics for? Once he's off of them that's a great time to add back the good bacteria that the antibiotics killed off.

He has to do 6 days on Cipro & 7 on Flagyl.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Doesn't seem long but for some people I guess its an eternity. Hope he starts a new treatment soon to get his flare under control then he'll not only feel better but he'll also be less snippy with you.

Ask your doc if he/she would prefer he begin probiotics upon completion of Cipro. I would think (but then again, ask doc) he could take them with Flagyl since that is anti-spasm med, isn't it? If one probiotic doesn't work, try another. There are good ones out there that make an immediate difference for you; trial by error, I suppose. I realize now how important they are to keep my body in check. Hope it helps!

I was on both of those antibiotics for 7 days. Those things are nasty and make you feel like CRAP! I was in a bad mood the hole time i was on those. Once he gets off them, he will start feeling much better. Good luck to you both!

Always remember you are not alone in the fight!