• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

The dreaded Colonoscopy Prep!!!!

Hello everyone.

I am just in the first hour of my prep for my Colonoscopy tomorrow. I've been given Picolax this time as I outright refused to drink that disgusting Klean Prep poison again! I was actually very pleasantly surprised at how it tasted, quite a nice refreshing lemon drink actually. So that's the easy bit over with...

The flood gates have opened and it hasn't even been an hour yet. What I'm dreading more than anything is my sore bottom :( I'm armed with moist Aloe Vera toilet tissues and a whole tub of Sudocrem so I'm hoping I can reduce the effects as much as possible.

I guess I'm posting just for a bit of support and some motivational talk if you will :lol:

It gets very lonely being stuck on the loo all day so am glad I have you all to talk to on here at least!!!

Sarah :)

I told my GI there was absolutely no way I would ever consider the Klean Prep again, I just could not stomach it. She was very understanding and let me try the Picolax instead but was very strict about making sure I drink plenty of water alongside is so I am being a good patient and chugging as much as I can lol.

I've got horrible stomach pains at the moment so I hope they pass soon :( Did the Pico have you sat on the toilet literally all day or did you find you were able to have little breaks? I honestly could not get off for about 12 hours with the Klean Prep and it made me so miserable and exhausted!

Thank you for your support, it really does make all the difference :)

theOcean

Yeah, the chugging water is the worst part. :( What I did was I steeped myself a pot full of tea, also so I would know it was always about one litre if I finished it. It was also much more palatable to drink than just water, which helped!

The cramps from stimulant laxatives are pretty terrible, unfortunately. :( I found I was able to have little breaks, but I had to be very careful and did get up to run to the washroom pretty frequently. But I was never at a point where I felt trapped in the washroom.

And it's no problem! I can definitely relate.

I told my GI there was absolutely no way I would ever consider the Klean Prep again, I just could not stomach it. She was very understanding and let me try the Picolax instead but was very strict about making sure I drink plenty of water alongside is so I am being a good patient and chugging as much as I can lol.

I've got horrible stomach pains at the moment so I hope they pass soon :( Did the Pico have you sat on the toilet literally all day or did you find you were able to have little breaks? I honestly could not get off for about 12 hours with the Klean Prep and it made me so miserable and exhausted!

Thank you for your support, it really does make all the difference :)
I have to stop the codeine which I take for diarrhoea 3 days before and from that time on I am more or less stuck to the bathroom. I make sure I have loads of magazines in the bathroom. And soft toilet paper. I spend the night after starting the prep on the sofa literally counting the hours down.

Ok so far, not too bad. I don't want to speak too soon and jinx myself mind. I just ate a lunch of plain chicken and a small portion of white rice. My last solid food until at least tomorrow evening, I savoured each bite lol.

I was feeling quite positive this morning as I seemed to be producing clear bowel movements almost but they've gone back to usual colour now (sorry for the detail!). I am due to take my next and last Picolax sachet at about 2:15pm and I'm hoping that gets me to the clear point quickly and easily. I managed to have a small nap as well which helped my energy levels. Did you find the second sachet of Picolax was more powerful than the first?

I usually take the second in two doses. I never really take it all especially if I am clear. But then I don't have much colon left. Good luck you're on the final straight.

I usually take the second in two doses. I never really take it all especially if I am clear. But then I don't have much colon left. Good luck you're on the final straight.
Thanks for the advice Daisy. I may do as suggested and take it in two doses and just see how I go. I am so glad I have been on a low residue diet since Monday. Seems to have made all the difference!

I've taken Picolax twice, once for colonoscopy and one for an MRI.

The first time with the colonoscopy it worked very quickly, but I was never passing completely clear liquid even after the second dose. But I did spend a little less time on the toilet after the second sachet. Probably because you've already cleared out a good amount already.

For the MRI I only had to take one sachet (it was a small bowel MRI), but it took a LONG time to take affect, over 4 hours. I was worried it wasn't going to work, but eventually it started with vengeance.

So it can really vary from day to day for me. Best of luck, I know that it's horribly unpleasant but in the end it will be worth it.

I've taken Picolax twice, once for colonoscopy and one for an MRI.

The first time with the colonoscopy it worked very quickly, but I was never passing completely clear liquid even after the second dose. But I did spend a little less time on the toilet after the second sachet. Probably because you've already cleared out a good amount already.

For the MRI I only had to take one sachet (it was a small bowel MRI), but it took a LONG time to take affect, over 4 hours. I was worried it wasn't going to work, but eventually it started with vengeance.

So it can really vary from day to day for me. Best of luck, I know that it's horribly unpleasant but in the end it will be worth it.
Thank you for your reply and helpful information. I'm getting really anxious that I'm going to take the second sachet and all hell will break loose lol! I do hope you're right and I have already cleared out most of it. Did the doctors say anything at your Colonoscopy, re: never passing completely clear liquid? It's so worrying thinking they may say they can't do if the bowel isn't clear enough. It's bad enough going through this once let alone again for a repeat test lol!

I never mentioned that it wasn't completely clear. But it didn't seem to be an issue. I was awake during the procedure and saw that things looked pretty clear. My colonoscopy identified there was inflammation and ulceration at the end of my small intestines and I was referred for an MRI because they couldn't get into my small intestines to see the extent of the damage.

Try not to worry too much, I think you should be clear enough.

I never mentioned that it wasn't completely clear. But it didn't seem to be an issue. I was awake during the procedure and saw that things looked pretty clear. My colonoscopy identified there was inflammation and ulceration at the end of my small intestines and I was referred for an MRI because they couldn't get into my small intestines to see the extent of the damage.

Try not to worry too much, I think you should be clear enough.
I'm still not 100% clear yet but it has only been an hour since I finished the second dose. I'm feeling a bit more reassured if you were in the same boat though and yours was fine :)

Ahhh we are opposites then! My MRI identified thickening of the intestinal wall in my terminal ileum and narrowing at the end of the small intestine. They now want to go in and assess the damage, take biopsies etc. I am absolutely dreading the pain though when they try and get the scope through :(

I don't suppose you guys have any good tips for soothing a sore bottom do you? It seems the aloe vera wipes and sudocrem have stopped working and I am almost in tears with the stinging :( not sure how best to try and help it! Sorry for so many questions today and thank you in advance!

Trysha

Staff member
Some of the GIs use KY jelly when they do scopes and that seems to be soothing.
Definitely do not wipe, just pat with lots of lubricant.You might be better to use facial cleansing wipes and not bathroom tissue.
Soft vaseline might also be helpful,and I have in the past also used Nivea face cream , but it must be the soft one.
I found the baby creams made matters worse---but I have unusually sensititve skin at the best of times, let alone the worst of times.
Feel better soon.
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

I did patting dry and as little wiping as possible. Also used some of my sons un-fragranced toddler wipes we had in the house. But it still hurt to wipe after a while. I'm sorry that I can't offer any better advice.

theOcean

Ok so far, not too bad. I don't want to speak too soon and jinx myself mind. I just ate a lunch of plain chicken and a small portion of white rice. My last solid food until at least tomorrow evening, I savoured each bite lol.

I was feeling quite positive this morning as I seemed to be producing clear bowel movements almost but they've gone back to usual colour now (sorry for the detail!). I am due to take my next and last Picolax sachet at about 2:15pm and I'm hoping that gets me to the clear point quickly and easily. I managed to have a small nap as well which helped my energy levels. Did you find the second sachet of Picolax was more powerful than the first?

I didn't really notice too much of a difference between sachets... It may just be a reaction to having a greater concentration of it in your body, though!

Thank you all so much for your advice and helpful tips. I managed to sit in a nice warm bath which seemed to help as well. I thought my body was all done as I hadn't needed the loo for hours but am back on there now. Really hope I manage to get a good night's sleep. Very anxious about the pain tomorrow :(

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I too have to go through this wonderful prep again soon. So, I know what you're going through. I'm afraid that I don't sleep very well the night before and am very exhausted the day of. So, plan on taking a nap afterwards!!! You will be a bit tender after the procedure, but that will go away easily. You'll do just fine! :dusty: Sending hugs your way. :hug:

Hi everyone. I made it through the night lol! I actually managed to sleep right through from about 11:30 until 8ish.

However, I am now beginning to panic as I am still having BM's this morning and I'm so scared for the trip to the hospital in case I have an accident :( I am going to have to leave around midday and if the BM's haven't stopped by then I don't know what to do. Is it normal for them to still be happening at this point?! I'm paranoid that I'm not clear enough now!

Thanks in advance!

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Is there a way to let your clinic know that you're still having bm's? They may also give you a few ideas as to what may help. Do you have any long menstrual pads on hand? If so, a possibility could be to wear one for the trip in. Also, if you can maybe you could pack a small bag with a change of clothes just in case. Good luck! :hug:

They are clear so that's a good sign, I'm just worried about the car journey but the pad is a good idea. I will definitely wear one and take a change of clothes as well. Thank you so much. I will let you all know how it goes later x

I'm so pleased the sedation will slow my bowels down. Fingers crossed they seem to have settled now. One less thing to worry about at least! I will post a message as soon as I'm home and let you all know how it went.

Thank you all so much for your support, it means so much.

Hey everyone. I am back and awake after sleeping off the sedation!

Well I wish I could tell you all it went without a hitch and I didn't need to worry but unfortunately it was possibly the most painful thing I have ever experienced :( I had the usual discomfort when the Consultant was manouvering the scope around the bends which is not nice at all, but that soon felt like a mere tickle once he attemped to get the scope into my Terminal Ileum :( At this point, I was given gas and air but even that didn't help the pain. Things are still a bit blurry because of the effects of the sedation but I vividly remember screaming and crying while the lovely nurse tried to comfort me. At this point, I think I was given more painkillers through my IV but again, I did not feel any benefit. I was inhaling that gas and air like my life depended on it but the pain was just severe.

After attemping to enter my TI for 15 mins, the Consultant made the decision to give up, mainly due to the pain I was experiencing but also because he knew there was no way he was getting in there. So now I feel like the whole thing was pointless. That was the area they needed to see and assess but the best he could do was take some biopsies from the valve at the entrace of it. I asked him why the scope couldn't get in and he suspected that inflammation may have caused the area to narrow, thus meaning the scope could not fit through. But of course, that was speculation. I guess with my MRI results and symptoms that is the most likely and probable cause but I just feel so disappointed it couldn't be done. All that prep and pain for nothing :( The purpose of today's procedure was to allow my GI Consultant to decide on the best treatment plan based on the state of my TI but I don't know how she will come to that decision now. I am feeling very sore and groggy still. I just ate some food and it caused me to run straight to the bathroom. I was hoping the Picolax would be out of my system by now, does anyone know how long it usually takes for that to happen?

I'm sorry for the long post and to report back with such negative news everyone. Feeling very sorry for myself right now :(

theOcean

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry... Maybe you can ask for anesthetic next time? That's what I did because otherwise I would feel everything.

I still was being affected by the Picosalax too even after my procedure. :( It should wear off soon. I hope you feel better in a bit!

I will definitely ask if they insist on repeating the test...I am not convinced it is something they will agree to on the NHS here in UK mind. I imagine it is due to the additional costs/care of completely knocking a patient out and the recovery time after etc. But I could be wrong so I will definitely ask my Consultant about it when I speak to her.

I am starting to think I should have stuck to a much lighter diet for the remainder of the weekend, I was just so hungry and pizza sounded so tempting :( I am strictly on peppermint tea for the rest of the evening so hopefully the Picolax is out of my system by the morning.

Sorry to hear it was so difficult. The bloody scope going around bends is horribly painful even when there is no inflammation. I had to ask for more pain meds when I had my scope on Wednesday. My scope was a failure as well, it sucks. It will take a while to recover. Feet up and relax, try not to worry. Hopefully your GI will be able to work out a treatment plan to make you feel better.

Sorry to hear it was so difficult. The bloody scope going around bends is horribly painful even when there is no inflammation. I had to ask for more pain meds when I had my scope on Wednesday. My scope was a failure as well, it sucks. It will take a while to recover. Feet up and relax, try not to worry. Hopefully your GI will be able to work out a treatment plan to make you feel better.
Thanks Daisy. I'm sorry to hear your scope was a failure as well. Was this due to them being unable to see the area they needed to?

Thanks Daisy. I'm sorry to hear your scope was a failure as well. Was this due to them being unable to see the area they needed to?
According to the CT, I have 3 small strictures. The sigmoidoscopy didn't show them. So next is either MRI or colonoscopy. At least I didn't do prep with the scope. I had an enema which didn't work so now have to do full prep for scopes. It is difficult when you don't get answers, and you face more tests! Keep your diet light for a couple of days.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry... Maybe you can ask for anesthetic next time? That's what I did because otherwise I would feel everything.

I second this!!!! I sure hope they can figure out something to help you. I know that sometimes I'm a bit groggy that whole day of the procedure. Just take it easy today. Please keep us updated.

Hi everyone. Just a little update as I haven't been on here since yesterday evening.

I had a bad night last night. Was in and out of the loo all evening, think my last trip was around midnight and I was SO paranoid the Picolax was still in my system I even put towels down in the bed in case I had an accident in the night. Luckily, I was ok but my sleep still wasn't great thanks to some lower abdominal pain. I really struggled to get comfortable no matter how I positioned myself. I think I am extremely tender from where the Dr tried to get the scope into my terminal ileum. I ended up having to take some codeine which settled it long enough for me to get some sleep. I gave up around 7 this morning though and tried a hot shower to try and soothe it.

I've felt a bit up and down today. Glad the sedation has worn off as I am much less groggy but I've been feeling a bit feverish. I was worrying a bit at first as that's one of the 'red flags' they warn you about following the colonoscopy procedure but I think I was just being a bit paranoid. I suffer from fevers/sweats/hot flushes on a daily basis when flaring so it isn't out of the ordinary as such for me. I had some rice and chicken for dinner and really enjoyed it, so at least my appetite seems to be coming back a bit.

I am just waiting for Tuesday to come around now so I can contact my GI Consultant and get my follow-up appointment moved forward. It's not booked in until the 30th July (I think we all anticipated my colonoscopy being much later than it was). I cannot possibly wait till then. I really need to find out what is happening now treatment wise so I can start getting my life back on track. I am also concerned about the fact the Surgeon couldn't get the scope into my TI so I want to discuss that with her as well.

So many questions still. I am hoping I am at least one step closer to a resolution.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Sorry about all you're going through. :( I think that if you're still feeling abdominal pain by tomorrow, I wouldn't wait till tuesday to call the doctor. Seems to me that this means something is wrong and they'd need to know about it earlier so maybe they can check you out to find out what's going on. Take it easy and sending more hugs your way. Xxxx

Sorry about all you're going through. :( I think that if you're still feeling abdominal pain by tomorrow, I wouldn't wait till tuesday to call the doctor. Seems to me that this means something is wrong and they'd need to know about it earlier so maybe they can check you out to find out what's going on. Take it easy and sending more hugs your way. Xxxx
Aw thank you for your support and for sending hugs. It means a lot :) the pain seems to be radiating right around into my back as well. I'm really not sure if this is normal following a painful colonoscopy or not? Unfortunately tomorrow is a Bank Holiday in UK so I won't be able to get hold of my doctor which is concerning :(

Aw thank you for your support and for sending hugs. It means a lot :) the pain seems to be radiating right around into my back as well. I'm really not sure if this is normal following a painful colonoscopy or not? Unfortunately tomorrow is a Bank Holiday in UK so I won't be able to get hold of my doctor which is concerning :(
You can phone the hospital where you had the procedure, which is what I was told to do, or take yourself to A&E which is what I would do if I was worried.