Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » What foods do your kids crave when sick?

01-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Crohn's Mom

My Support Groups:
What foods do your kids crave when sick?

Gab is home and resting up, but the only things she wants to eat, and can seem to tolerate, and is craving, is ice cream and cupcakes.

This is like deja-vu for us, because 3 1/2 years ago when she was so sick, that's all she would crave and eat too.
It's the one thing all the doctors (and doctor mom) agreed on too ~ as long as she's getting something in her, then go right ahead

So, what do your kids crave when they're sick?
And do you let them have it ? Or do you try and persuade them to eat "healthy"?
and Austin (18)
DX: Crohn's 7/2013
01-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Chips and onion rings , whopper junior

All DS wanted - all not good

Thankfully if he doesn't want to eat we just up his shakes since that lets him rest on the couch and get nutrition
We don't try to push healthy kwim
01-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
Twiggy930
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Here it is toast with peanut butter and a glass of milk. I let him have it. Heck, some days it has been all that he would eat. He was horrified when we tried a gluten and lactose free diet and it sure as heck didn't make him feel better.

Also taking: TuZen probiotic and following a low FODMAP diet (not very strictly).

Past Treatments: Prednisone, Flagyl, Cipro, Pentasa, exclusive EN via NG tube (6 weeks), Prevacid, Iberogast (20 drops twice a day) and high doses of vitamin B2.
01-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
Crohn's Mom

My Support Groups:
I've sort of suggested she may want to drink an Ensure or two, but only once.
Honestly, If it makes her feel better for the moment and I can help to spoil her a bit right now...that's what I'm gonna do
Not like she's going to live on it for the rest of her life or anything lol.
01-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
Jennifer
Adminstrator

All I craved was milk. That's all I wanted. My mom didn't let me have it. She said, "milk is bad for you when you're sick." So I believe I ate whatever my parents made me eat as usual.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel (endometriosis), Tylenol 3 (Osteoarthritis), Zantac 150mg 2/day (acid reflux), Klonopin 1mg (Panic Disorder), Imitrex 25mg (migraines), Zofran 8mg (nausea)
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 19 years and counting.
01-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
Jmrogers4

Pepsi and campbells chicken noodle soup. In fact Jack has a bug and that is all he has eaten for the last 2 days trying to get him to do an Ensure shake tonight, maybe I'll just make it and hand it to him and hope he at least drinks some of it.

Mom to Jack (18) dx Crohn's 2/2010
Remicade - started 1/9/14; 7.5ml/kg every 6 weeks
Past meds: Imuran/Azathioprine; allopurinol; methotrexate; LDN; Prednisone; Apriso; Pentasa; EEN

Husband dx Crohn's 3/1993
currently none due to liver issues
01-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #7
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
Ever since his exclusive EN time, broth is Stephen's comfort food! You'd think he'd never want to see it again!

Treatment:
May-July 2011 - 6 wks Exclusive EN via NG tube - 2000 ml/night, 1 wk IV Flagyl
July 2011-July 2013 - Supplemental EN via NG, 1000 ml/night, 5 nites/wk, Nexium, 40 mg
Feb. 2013-present - Remicade, 5 mg/kg every 6 wks
Supplements: 1-2 Boost shakes, D3 - 2000 IUs, Krill Oil
01-21-2013, 12:01 AM   #8
jmckinley

I wish Ryan would crave anything! "What do you want to eat?" is the $20,000 question around here! 15 and he still says "what can I have for a snack?" Geez! I know when his weight was down, the nutritionist said let him have whatever he wants now and we'll worry about eating healthier when he's back up!
01-21-2013, 02:48 AM   #9
Stephyjane

My Support Groups:
When Ella is sick it's hard to get her to eat at all, canned spaghetti is sometimes something she wants.
One thing I've noticed this time as her symptoms come back she asked for milk a lot, which is what happened before she was diagnosed. Whether it felt soothing for her, I'm not sure. Xx
01-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #10
Dexky
To save time...Ask Dusty!

My Support Groups:
If she craves ice cream so much, maybe you could make her milkshakes and sneak Ensure into them.

EJ dx w/ Crohn's 12/09
PSC 3/10

No more 6mp
Currently in the Humira Club
01-25-2013, 05:12 AM   #11
DustyKat
Super Moderator

I don't think the kids craved anything in particular but if they did I would have given it to them! It's the only way I would have been able to even partially soothe my guilt ridden soul!

Dusty. xxx
01-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #12
Jer
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
When I feel like crap.....like now......I crave junk/fast food. Like Wendy's chicken nuggets and fries or something.

Typically, I don't eat like that at all. I'm a grilled chicken and steamed broccoli kinda guy, fish and veggies, stuff like that.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » What foods do your kids crave when sick?