• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does this sound like Crohns?

Hello,

I never really had any problems that interfered so severely with my lifestyle up until a year and a half ago when my anal fistula ordeal began. I'm 23 years ago just for reference.

Bowel movements have been fairly soft since I was in high school but very grainy to liquidy when I was 20 years old. However, they didn't really bother me too much. At that time, I could eat any type of food without having any problems.

However, one day when I was 21 years old, I developed a fever and I had an upset stomach/nausea which caused me to throw up. I went to urgent care because I thought I had some kind of infection. They concluded with bloodwork that I had a slightly high white blood cell count and that's all. I had a stool sample which came back normal.

2-3 weeks pass then I had a bad diarrheal episode in which I felt a huge pain in my butt cheek. It felt like a wound. I thought maybe I was straining too hard. Then the pain started getting worse and worse, I waited a week until it became really swollen, and ultimately became and abscess. Had it lanced in the ER... A month later, had it lanced again... Then I've been having a fistula for the past year and a half.

Since the fistula, it seemed like I was having stomach cramps and bad diarrhea almost everyday for a year and half now until I realized that dairy was causing it. I should also note that only SOMETIMES when I have really bad diarrhea and cramps I get the chills and a mild fever. Ever since I went on a lactose free diet the diarrhea and stomach cramps stopped SIGNIFICANTLY.

*THEORY: I was suddenly totally lactose intolerant at age 21.

The reason why I'm suspicious of Crohn's is because of the anal fistula and the fact that I get diarrhea with (chills/fever). I had a seton placed in the fistula and it's been draining A LOT every day for six months. According to my colorectal surgeon, it shouldn't be draining anymore (or just little), and he's not sure why it still is. Could that be a sign of Crohn's??

BUT! I found that the diarrhea is caused by dairy. The chills/fever might be a result of an infected fistula.

I have no family history of Crohn's NOR Anal fistula, but I have a family history of rectal disorders like hemorrhoids, lactose intolerance, diarrhea. No one has really had any surgeries though.

ONE LAST NOTE: I do not have any digestive problems anymore as long as I don't consume dairy products. The only thing I'm desperate about is my anal fistula. It will not heal, and I don't know if it has anything to do with Crohn's.

SarahBear

It certainly could be. Are you seeing a gastroenterologist, or just the colorectal surgeon? If not, I'd suggest you get a referral to one ASAP. Have you not had any testing done to try to determine the cause of your problems? It sounds like you've been suffering for quite a while.

It certainly could be. Are you seeing a gastroenterologist, or just the colorectal surgeon? If not, I'd suggest you get a referral to one ASAP. Have you not had any testing done to try to determine the cause of your problems? It sounds like you've been suffering for quite a while.
Just the colorectal surgeon. The anal fistula is the problem that has been affecting my lifestyle.

The digestive problems were pretty inconvenient but I was able to live with it. Well...

Now that I've learned it could be connected to my anal fistula, it has only now raised concern.

I'm so scared for it to be Crohn's and have to live with anal fistula forever. :(

SarahBear

Don't be scared! Finding out for sure what is going on is the first step to treating these problems. Most people with IBD live normally, with only occasional problems. Whether or not you have Crohn's, having testing done is the first step to getting things under control. If Crohn's is the cause of the fistula, treating the Crohn's would likely heal the fistula or at least help to do so. A diagnosis can be scary, but it's also a relief.

:hug:

Don't be scared! Finding out for sure what is going on is the first step to treating these problems. Most people with IBD live normally, with only occasional problems. Whether or not you have Crohn's, having testing done is the first step to getting things under control. If Crohn's is the cause of the fistula, treating the Crohn's would likely heal the fistula or at least help to do so. A diagnosis can be scary, but it's also a relief.

:hug:
You're right! I guess it's better to get checked.

Last edited: