• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade and the mouth!

I had my second Remicade treatment last Friday i got a severe allergic reaction to it after some time in the ER we decided to go on with the infusion but at a very slow rate wich worked.

And now to the reason i write this.

I have a wisdom tooth that needs to be pulled out and according to my Dr it should be fine so i made an appointment for the end of this month to have it pulled out.

Does anyone here have experiences with teethpulling while on Remicade?

And another problem i have noticed while being on Remicade!

My teeth feel weird and hurt when i bite together hard. Anyone?

And yet another problem and this is the most painful one.

About a week after my first treatment i started having these small blisters (Canker sores) inside my mouth and i have a mouthsore that doesn´t seem to wanna heal.
(all this has already been discussed with my Dr im asking here for help, support and ideas)

Other stuff i have noticed:

Terrible Sleep
Dry throat
Tiredness
Headaches (and i usually never get them)

Last edited:
Well i got a special mouthwash that kills all bad bacteria, and for the mouthsore i got a cream.

The thing is that my Chron´s is alot better now so in a way it´s worth having the side effects wich all are manageble the biggest problem is the canker sores they make eating a painful task.

Hey Sabin, I know that right after I get my Remicade, which I can taste while getting it, they say some people taste it others don't. Well I do and know that it goes right to my mouth because always the day I get my infusion and the day after my teeth feel sore and my mouth hurts when I eat but it goes away. I don't however get the sores in my mouth.

Are you on antibiotics as well? That's common for IBD. Using antibiotics for a longer than normal time period makes it easy for the flora in ur body to get unbalanced (bacteria/fungus). So fungus can take over and it can cause sores in the mouth. I also don't heal very well anymore. I also get the same teeth problem you mentioned - but it comes and goes. I also have milld joint pain on occasion (fingers, knees, ankles).

I am not on Remicade but I have similar symptoms with Humira. I have sores in my mouth the size of swimming pools, they come and go especially after injections.

I get horrible headaches and migranes mostly a couple of days prior and a couple of days after my injections.

I always had VERY good teeth, now they hurt (not much) and they are sensitive to cold (bye bye Ice tea).

I am always thirsty, I was checked for diabetes twice - negative, my throat is just dry and I have been drinking tones of water.

I also have REALLY dry skin and face rush (I always had clear face skin even when I was a teenager)

When I mentioned my side effects to my doc he said..."Be patient"

So yes thats what I do being effing patient.

I am not on Remicade but I have similar symptoms with Humira. I have sores in my mouth the size of swimming pools, they come and go especially after injections.

I get horrible headaches and migranes mostly a couple of days prior and a couple of days after my injections.

I always had VERY good teeth, now they hurt (not much) and they are sensitive to cold (bye bye Ice tea).

I am always thirsty, I was checked for diabetes twice - negative, my throat is just dry and I have been drinking tones of water.

I also have REALLY dry skin and face rush (I always had clear face skin even when I was a teenager)

When I mentioned my side effects to my doc he said..."Be patient"

So yes thats what I do being effing patient.
Sounds like prednisone? Are you on more than remicade?

i developed white spots on my tongue. never had that before. "thrush" it was called.
nasty stuff. took forever to heal, and hurt as u can imagine. i was remi when this happened but drs say it was the prednisone causing this. still on pred, still on remi, presntly tongues is hurting w/o white spots.

I had my second Remicade treatment last Friday i got a severe allergic reaction to it after some time in the ER we decided to go on with the infusion but at a very slow rate wich worked.
Regarding the reaction - that could be a sign.
Were you being pre-medicated immediately prior to the infusion?
They always give me 1g acetamenophen, 1 zyrtec, and solumedrol 30 mins prior to prevent a reaction.