• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My juicer broke!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I've had a juicer for awhile now, got it at a garage sale for $10 and it was one of the best things I've ever bought. But last night the hubby was making us some juice and there was a loud sound and it broke! :( I was in the living room when it broke so I don't know what happened, but my hubby showed me the broken pieces of our former juicer, how sad. He was making us veggie juice but had only gotten as far as juicing the green peppers, so we had gross-tasting pepper juice. :p I drank it anyway but it was kind of foul.

I went on craigslist (too poor to afford a brand new juicer!) and had a look around. I found a couple that look relatively decent in the $30 to $40 range so hopefully I'll have a new (well, new to me) juicer soon. Any features I should specifically look for or any particular brand that is best? Oh, and here's an important question - which ones are easiest to clean??

rygon

Which part is broken? You might be able to get spare parts for it.

I have an Oscar vitalmax 900 which is great and so easy to clean

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
The top part of the juicer and the chute where you put the veggies into, it was all one big piece and now it's several pieces. Not sure if I could get a replacement or not but I'll do some looking around on the internet.

I just bought a Breville Juice Fountain 850 Watt juicer on Amazon. They sell the remanufactured/reconditioned ones at about a 1/3 markdown. Mine was priced at $99 and I had a $50 gift card. Free shipping too.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Ooh, I had an Amazon gift card but already used it on an ipod shuffle. Hmmm, I will have a peek around Amazon and see what I can find. It seems like everything in my house is breaking at once - my stove blew a circuit board (not under warranty and $300 to fix, eek!), then my automatic self-scooping cat box also blew a circuit board (I refuse to scoop cat poo so I need a robot to do it for me! It's in the repair shop now!) and now my juicer falls to pieces. Any other time I would probably buy a new juicer, but all these repairs are so expensive and they all happened within a few weeks of each other. It's not like I can live without a stove but that really cleaned out my bank account, which is why I'm leaning towards another used juicer. If I can find an inexpensive new one though, I will go for it.

Gianni

If you can find a masticating juicer for that price, that would be awesome. In that price range it would be used, try looking for the champion juice brand, these things are indestructible (proven by the 15 year warrant they give you upon purchase) so usually you can find these used ones cheap as people have had them for 10 or so years :)

Gianni

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I've finally got my financial ducks in a row and figured out my budget for a new juicer. I've been reading reviews on amazon, and I am really liking the one that lisakuney mentioned in her post. That refurbished model is still $99 on amazon and I think I'm going to go for it. I just can't afford a masticating juicer or anything more than $100, but that one gets great reviews and sounds like a really nice juicer for the price. Thanks everyone for the input, and especially thanks to lisakuney! :)

Ooh, I had an Amazon gift card but already used it on an ipod shuffle. Hmmm, I will have a peek around Amazon and see what I can find. It seems like everything in my house is breaking at once - my stove blew a circuit board (not under warranty and $300 to fix, eek!), then my automatic self-scooping cat box also blew a circuit board (I refuse to scoop cat poo so I need a robot to do it for me! It's in the repair shop now!) and now my juicer falls to pieces. Any other time I would probably buy a new juicer, but all these repairs are so expensive and they all happened within a few weeks of each other. It's not like I can live without a stove but that really cleaned out my bank account, which is why I'm leaning towards another used juicer. If I can find an inexpensive new one though, I will go for it.
I'm sorry this is off topic but self scooping cat box?!
I knew you could get them on the sims but not in real life!! Where does it all go? lol

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
LMV, I have a Litter Robot. It's expensive but worth it. The dome part rotates around and dumps the poo & pee clumps into a drawer beneath the unit. You just open the drawer and empty it once a week or so. Super convenient, I love it, would not go without it. We just had to replace the motor on ours (we thought it was the circuit board, but the issue didn't resolve with replacing that). It's great and my cat loves it too. :)

http://www.litter-robot.com/

LMV, I have a Litter Robot. It's expensive but worth it. The dome part rotates around and dumps the poo & pee clumps into a drawer beneath the unit. You just open the drawer and empty it once a week or so. Super convenient, I love it, would not go without it. We just had to replace the motor on ours (we thought it was the circuit board, but the issue didn't resolve with replacing that). It's great and my cat loves it too. :)

http://www.litter-robot.com/
The LitterMaid brand ones are crap...i think i have had every model thay make and they all break or do a poor job.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
V_dragon, I had a Littermaid that I got in about 2003/2004 and that was back when they were still making a somewhat quality product. That one lasted a good 5 or so years before it died. I went through a few cheap bad quality brand X electronic cat boxes, then finally decided to spend way too much money and get a Litter Robot. The Litter Robot has needed a few repairs over the years but it's definitely better quality than most of what's on the market right now. Their customer service is also really good.