• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Low Residue Diet for Colonoscopy

Hi everyone. Hope you are all keeping well.

I am scheduled to have a Colonoscopy on Saturday so the GI can assess what is going on in my TI after they discovered narrowing in there on my MRI. I really struggled with the Klean Prep last time, I found the sheer volume of liquid just too much so this time I asked if they could give me something different. I have been sent Picolax prep this time as the GI informed me it was much less to drink (although I am aware I have to drink plenty of water with it but I am ok with that).

The hospital sent me all of the prep information via post and I have a leaflet regarding a low residue diet with a list of foods that are allowed and not allowed. However, it's quite a small list and doesn't really cover a lot. For example, I usually eat Salmon as one of my meals in the week but cannot work out if this is allowed or not? I really don't want to eat something I shouldn't and risk the Colonoscopy having to be re-done! I am confused as the 'allowed' list says I can eat white bread but then flour is included on the not allowed list. I am considering living on egg and toast for the next 5 days just to make sure my bowel prep is done correctly as I am so confused! Has anyone on here ever done this specific prep and have any suggestions on good things to eat?

Thank you all in advance :)

You don't need to follow it for five days, usually it is two days before. I generally go for toast, cheese, eggs, and jelly and ice cream. Fish should be fine. Meat isn't. You should find the Picolax drinkable. The one thing to remember is to drink loads of fluids as it makes going to the toilet easier, the more liquid it is, the less it hurts. I tend to get dehydrated easily and end up with a migraine so it is worth considering electrolyte mixture if the diarrhoea is very bad. Make sure you opt for sedation because it hurts like hell when the scope goes through narrowing! Do you know if they intend to dilate the narrowing?

You don't need to follow it for five days, usually it is two days before. I generally go for toast, cheese, eggs, and jelly and ice cream. Fish should be fine. Meat isn't. You should find the Picolax drinkable. The one thing to remember is to drink loads of fluids as it makes going to the toilet easier, the more liquid it is, the less it hurts. I tend to get dehydrated easily and end up with a migraine so it is worth considering electrolyte mixture if the diarrhoea is very bad. Make sure you opt for sedation because it hurts like hell when the scope goes through narrowing! Do you know if they intend to dilate the narrowing?
Hi Daisy. Thank you for your reply and all of your advice. I always thought the diet only needed to be followed for the 2 days before but the hospital sent me a leaflet saying 5 which surprised me. I have done as instructed just so they don't get mad at me lol. I have a fridge full of water at the moment in anticipation of dehydration setting in but didn't consider the electrolyte mixture so thank you for suggesting that. I will definitely buy some and keep them handy. I am not sure about the dilation of the narrowing. I am definitely going to opt for sedation and painkillers though as I am really anxious :(

Also some sudocream or barrier cream for the backside. I tend to eat light for a while because the less I have in me the less I have to go to the toilet. I had a scope today and had sedation, I would never have one without it. And of course ice lollies are good.

I would happily starve for 2 days because I hate the prep would rather feel like death warmed over rather than redo it.i stopped almost all my meds for 3days before but confirm that with your doctor,can,t believe there isn't,t a better way to do the prep.the actual procedure is nothing!