• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Abscess/Fistula EUA Surgery ~ what to expect?

So I am posting here as I am scheduled for EUA surgery this upcoming Tuesday for an abscess and possible fistula. Just wondering what to expect /tips on healing, etc as this is all new to me and needless to say I am worrying myself! I should add that I do not have Crohns, IBS or any other disease of that nature.

Quick timeline:

Shortly after Christmas 2016 I felt a lump near rectum, took some sitz baths thinking maybe a blocked duct. After no change I went to Urgent Care on 12/29 where I was diagnosed with a perianal abscess and sent home with a 7 day antibiotic treatment of Cipro/Flagyl

Jan 4: Had pain for the first time when I sat down, went back to Urgent Care. Had an I & D with packing and put on another week of antibiotics.

Jan 6: Went back for follow up and dr made incision larger and re packed

Jan 7: Horrible diarrhea (from antibiotics) and all packing came out...we had an ice storm here that shut everything down for days. I started taking sitz baths & use antibiotic ointment on wound.

Jan 11: Finally able to go back to Urgent care, abscess has shrunk considerably & doctor states I am on the mend and to give about 4 weeks to heal.

Over the next month abscess continually drains and sometimes bump goes away and than comes back and drains again. I decided to get a referral to a colorectal surgeon to see if it is healing OK.

Feb 7: Appointment with colorectal surgeon ~ states I probably have a fistula but says to come back in 2 weeks and will recheck.

Feb 14: Decided to bump up appt as abscess continues to drain & refill...surgeon decides I should have a EUA to drain abscess and put blue dye solution to see if I have fistula. If I do he will either fix fistula or put in seton...depending on complexity.

I am nervous as hell and just wondering what to expect!

cmack

Staff member
Zas,

Welcome to the forum! We are the most caring and helpful bunch of people you have ever met.

I think you may require surgery. I hope not, but don't try to tough it out. It makes matters worse. Big time! If you feel like you need the ER, you probably do. Just pack some things like sandals, comfy clothes and a few books. An ipod would be good too.

If you need a seton it hurts pretty bad at first but is only minor pain and irritation in the long run. A month or so of recovery and then it starts getting better. Much better than an abscess.

pm me any time, I have had a lot of experience in this area.

I wish you health and happiness,

cmack

So I am posting here as I am scheduled for EUA surgery this upcoming Tuesday for an abscess and possible fistula. Just wondering what to expect /tips on healing, etc as this is all new to me and needless to say I am worrying myself! I should add that I do not have Crohns, IBS or any other disease of that nature.

Quick timeline:

Shortly after Christmas 2016 I felt a lump near rectum, took some sitz baths thinking maybe a blocked duct. After no change I went to Urgent Care on 12/29 where I was diagnosed with a perianal abscess and sent home with a 7 day antibiotic treatment of Cipro/Flagyl

Jan 4: Had pain for the first time when I sat down, went back to Urgent Care. Had an I & D with packing and put on another week of antibiotics.

Jan 6: Went back for follow up and dr made incision larger and re packed

Jan 7: Horrible diarrhea (from antibiotics) and all packing came out...we had an ice storm here that shut everything down for days. I started taking sitz baths & use antibiotic ointment on wound.

Jan 11: Finally able to go back to Urgent care, abscess has shrunk considerably & doctor states I am on the mend and to give about 4 weeks to heal.

Over the next month abscess continually drains and sometimes bump goes away and than comes back and drains again. I decided to get a referral to a colorectal surgeon to see if it is healing OK.

Feb 7: Appointment with colorectal surgeon ~ states I probably have a fistula but says to come back in 2 weeks and will recheck.

Feb 14: Decided to bump up appt as abscess continues to drain & refill...surgeon decides I should have a EUA to drain abscess and put blue dye solution to see if I have fistula. If I do he will either fix fistula or put in seton...depending on complexity.

I am nervous as hell and just wondering what to expect!
How did you get on @Zasikoro?