• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Furry and colored tongue

nogutsnoglory

Anyone else have a furry and off color tongue? I seem to always have an unhealthy looking tongue but particularly when I'm fighting infection. Right now my tongue is nasty.

Any tips for making it better? I could use a tongue scraper but once I did that and it bled.

Thrush..... sounds like

I've had it for 12 years. It's a yeast in the mouth, mostly the tongue, but it can go on down into the entire system. Are you taking Cimzia? I think that's a TNF also, correct?

Yeast can be a side-effect of the TNF drugs. You should probably contact your Doc. It SOUNDS like thrush, but since I can't see it, I'm only assuming...... They have some good meds for it if it's new, one you can swish and swallow or one that's called Diflucan that's a pill.

A natural fighter for thrush is vinegar or salt rinses and brushing.

BUT, you really should call the Doc either way since it might be a side-effect.

My thrush is drug resistant, but that's unusual.

I wish you luck, and understand the grossness. ha-ha

nogutsnoglory

I'm not sure because the rest of my mouth looks fine. When I have had thrush in the past I usually have white spots around the mouth and painful pimples by my gums. I have used some apple cider vinegar and hydrogen peroxide.

PsychoJane

Are you still on Flagyl? I know that it gives me a terrible tongue and/or thrush. It's the worst to cause me that out there. I assume it is most likely thrush when it comes to me because it gets better with the Nystatin oral suspension. One sure thing is that I hate that feeling.

nogutsnoglory

Yes I am on flagyl and cipro. I don't want to take anymore meds I'm hoping it will just go away after I stop antibiotics.

My thrush is on my tongue only except when it starts heading down the esophagus. The color depends on what I am eating. The yeast takes on the color of the food or drink I've had.

Sounds like you've had it before, so maybe it's not that. Let's hope!

nogutsnoglory

It does seem to take on the color. I have also developed a hacking cough not sure if that means it spread down my throat.

I also have a nasty tongue and get thrush quite a lot. This seems to happen more just after I inject my HUMIRA. The doctor has prescribed medication for thrush but it always seems to come back a few days later. It's the filiform papillae that become discoloured these can be safely scraped off without damaging the tongue in any way Predisposing factors include smoking, xerostomia (dry mouth), soft diet, poor oral hygiene and certain medications so in our case I think it's just something we have to put up with

I have a fury tongue too. It started about a year ago after a course of antibiotics and I thought it was thrush so saw my GP about it, but treating it with Fluconazole and Nystatin made no difference. I still have the fury tongue now and haven't been able to find anything that gets rid of it properly. Sometimes if I use my electric toothbrush on my tongue the coating will start to come off but it's always back the next day.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Yes, I've also had the same thing while on flagyl. I've tried a tongue scraper, vinegar gargle but nothing works until I get off of the med.

I bet it's a major contributor to why I lose my sense of taste on flagyl....tongue is coated in it.

nogutsnoglory

If I meet anyone I'm going to be so self conscious on keeping my mouth closed. I mean my tongue doesn't hang out but ill be afraid to laugh loud and open my mouth.

I have thrush too. (i love this forum).
I got it during my first pregnancy but it went away after the baby was born. I got it with the 2nd preganancy and it has stuck around even 19 months after she was born. I've tried the nystatin swish and chews but they barely touch it. I am on Humira but hadnt noticed a correlation to severety in relation to my injections. I am not on any antibiotics, but when I WAS it definitly got worse.

How do you know it is not thrush? Were you tested? I also have no white spots and my tongue takes on the color of things I eat/drink. I was tested and it came back positive for Thrush.

Interesting update to the topic NGNG.

I've been in the hospital the last two weeks with first an obstruction, then onto recection and lots of complications.

In regard to the thrush/or not coating my tongue and lots of others with Crohns, they have 3 new drugs! Very exciting for me I can tell you. I had given up on ever getting rid of it. I'm now on Mycamine. It's an IV infusion right now while I'm in the hospital, so don't know much about the oral yet (if any). Had to do a quick cheek swab before I started, so we will see.

Also on Humira at home, so also good to know about the new drugs.
:lol2:

I am currently taking diflucan for a vaginal yeast infection. I have taken diflucan in the past ( like a year and half ago) and I had some nasty side effects to it. My lips on my mouth get red and burny and my throat and mouth will burn and I will get canker sores In my mouth and throat. I tried using the vaginal cream(terazol), but that inflamed my whole vagina, it was awful. So now I went to doctor and she said try the diflucan again, only this time I am trying the liquid form hoping I will tolerate it better than the pill. It is only suppose to take one dose to clear up the infection, but she said I may have to take one more dose three days later. I also take florastor to help with my intestinal issues since I have to be on low dose augmentin to prevent UTI's. This sucks since Diflucan is an antifungal and will likely kill off the floratsor I take being it is a form of yeast! There is a remedy that can help with oral yeast. Try cinnamon. This is a natural yeast klller as well as yougurt in the mouth. I know I had bought this cereal called cinnamon chex and after I started eating them I noticed my tongue looked a lot healthier. I then found out cinnamon kills yeast. Go figure.

I am currently taking diflucan for a vaginal yeast infection. I have taken diflucan in the past ( like a year and half ago) and I had some nasty side effects to it. My lips on my mouth get red and burny and my throat and mouth will burn and I will get canker sores In my mouth and throat. I tried using the vaginal cream(terazol), but that inflamed my whole vagina, it was awful. So now I went to doctor and she said try the diflucan again, only this time I am trying the liquid form hoping I will tolerate it better than the pill. It is only suppose to take one dose to clear up the infection, but she said I may have to take one more dose three days later. I also take florastor to help with my intestinal issues since I have to be on low dose augmentin to prevent UTI's. This sucks since Diflucan is an antifungal and will likely kill off the floratsor I take being it is a form of yeast! There is a remedy that can help with oral yeast. Try cinnamon. This is a natural yeast klller as well as yougurt in the mouth. I know I had bought this cereal called cinnamon chex and after I started eating them I noticed my tongue looked a lot healthier. I then found out cinnamon kills yeast. Go figure.
Thanks for the tip on cinnamon! I eat Kashi cereal every morning but dont care for the cinnamon one too much, but i'll like it enough if it will help. Also I hate yogurt but one of my doctors said i could do frozen yogurt as long as it still has live cultures. I forgot about that. With summer here i guess it is a good time to start that again as well.