• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mucus discharge soiling underwear

nogutsnoglory

I read that some mucus from the butt is normal even with an ostomy because the body doesn't know the but isn't being used.

I seem to have quite a bit of mucus discharge that is making my underwear wet. Does anyone else have this or might it just be normal in the beginning?

My husband is currently wearing a sanitary pad to keep his boxers dry. He wonders when the humiliation will end.

Unfortunately, these mucos drippings are not only common, but are to be looked at in a positive light, as it means everything back there is working as it should. It's near impossible to think of it as something good, but the right frame of mind can make it a little less daunting.

I hope everything else is settling in nicely.

I read that some mucus from the butt is normal even with an ostomy because the body doesn't know the but isn't being used.

I seem to have quite a bit of mucus discharge that is making my underwear wet. Does anyone else have this or might it just be normal in the beginning?
Noguts, if I could I would just grab and hug you! You have been going through so much :(

I've had a similar problem, it is normal in the beginning but in small amounts. You need to let your GI know about it, it might be an infection or another flare. I'm sorry you are suffering, my thoughts and prayers are with you. :hug:

Nyx

I have mucous back there all the time and my stoma is almost 4 years old. I just wear a pad all the time and that seems to do the trick.

Am i weird cos i haven't pass mucus not even once since my operation (2 months ago)? I do have mucus and bloody mucus coming out of my loop-colostomys "the other" hole though. But not from my bum.

nogutsnoglory

Aw mountain thank you!

I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one. With all the abscess discharge this summer I was afraid this might be a sign that's still active or new ones formed.

I pass mucus several times a day, but it never leaks out. I have good sphincter control. Kegel exercises can help unless there is something else going on.

PsychoJane

I pass mucus few times a day, I guess anytime I go pee. If I accumulate it over time I am subject to accidents (I notice the difference when I'm on the road and using public toilet... the fact I give the priority to "squatting-pee" lol, makes it that I don't "drain" myself often enough and it can leaks). I did not have perianal disease prior to my surgery so I am guessing that this could make it a bit harder at the beginning. I was also advised to do some kegel exercises to keep all the muscles in shape when I got the surgery.

nogutsnoglory

I have a seton in there so not sure I can do legal exercises or if it's wise.

Right now just wearing pads to catch any mucus or residual post surgery junk.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Ngng I'm sorry I can't help with this but I really just wanted to send you support, I've seen you've had a rough time lately and just wanted to let you know your in my thoughts. You've always been so kind to me and you are one of the people who inspired me to fight this thing. If you would like I will add you to my prayers. I am really hoping things turn around for you soon *hugs* .

annawato

Staff member
I only have mucus once a month if that and its quite firm. I am a bit worried now I have a seton how i will pass it but I'm sure the body will figure it out.
For those of you who have daily mucus was your disease in the colon and/or rectum? I'm curious whether those who have TI disease pass as much mucus or whether its cos of medications I'm on to slow my gut. Ie its constipating my colon as well as slowing output.

Nyx

All of my disease is in the lower end of my system. Not sure if that's why I have more mucous or not. It doesn't bother me at all, and I seem to have no other problems so I'm not worrying about it.

nogutsnoglory

My concern is there is some light poop brown and yellow tainted stuff with the mucus sometimes. I'm hoping it's not abscess.

annawato

Staff member
My mucus can be poop stained. I think what happens is that when the bag gets overful at night with output and gas excess output gets pushed down into the colon. It doesn't always happen but when it has I know its cos I've had one of those overful nights.
Perhaps its old blood and pus draining from your seton? I had mine put in Monday and have had pus and blood come out of it. Not sure if this is normal - I just assumed that its doing what a seton is meant to do, draining pus from the abscess and fistula. Am I wrong thinking this? Should I be chasing up the doctor for antibiotics?

I only have mucus once a month if that and its quite firm. I am a bit worried now I have a seton how i will pass it but I'm sure the body will figure it out.
For those of you who have daily mucus was your disease in the colon and/or rectum? I'm curious whether those who have TI disease pass as much mucus or whether its cos of medications I'm on to slow my gut. Ie its constipating my colon as well as slowing output.
My disease was most severe at the tail end of the colon and rectum. However, since I've had all of that removed, I am assuming my mucus production is strictly due to the J-pouch I have (though not being used), which is all small intestine connected to just a few centimeters of rectum.

My mucus can be poop stained. I think what happens is that when the bag gets overful at night with output and gas excess output gets pushed down into the colon. It doesn't always happen but when it has I know its cos I've had one of those overful nights.
Perhaps its old blood and pus draining from your seton? I had mine put in Monday and have had pus and blood come out of it. Not sure if this is normal - I just assumed that its doing what a seton is meant to do, draining pus from the abscess and fistula. Am I wrong thinking this? Should I be chasing up the doctor for antibiotics?
I don't know a whole lot about it, but I do believe your theory is correct on all points.

If you have a loop ileostomy, one end of your small intestine is still connected to the colon and it is possible for some output to get squeezed into that tiny bottom hole (or section) of the stoma.

Possibly. I've heard other people mention that it happened to them, though have never experienced it myself.

I've had mucus come up from the bottom end of the stoma, and when I had a barium enema, the contrast flowed up into my bag, but I've not experienced output of stool go through to the anus.

nogutsnoglory

The bottom of the stoma? Yikes were you infected?

Since I have the loop, one produces poop and the other makes mucus or just watches the other stoma lol.

No infection, just mucus from the bottom portion that just sort of spills out from time to time. I tell ya, my intestines like to make a lot of mucus. My stoma nurse has commented that I have a very very wet stoma. If I don't wrap gauze around it when I do bag changes, sometimes it will drip from just the outside.

annawato

Staff member
I havent had mucus come out from the bottom end of the stoma into the stoma bag but I have had poop ooze out. It was a bloody nuisance as it just oozed under the baseplate as the colon opening is level with my skin. Hasn't happened often but when it did I had trouble changing the bag as I had poop coming out of two holes! Ones enough!

I still have mucous leaking out my bottom jus like it did befre my surgery. I jus spoke to my surgeon about this. I asked him why is this still happening bc I thought that I wouldn't have to worry bout this once I had the colostomy. And he said that my colon is still intact so I will always have mucous leaking back there. Where a pad so I don't ruin my undergarments....OR.....have another surgery AMD remove the rest of the colon and no more problem with leaking mucous. Well, my answer was, ok pad it is! Lol. But yes, my disease is all in the very end of the colon and rectum. So maybe my sphincter maybe completely damaged.

Having just had ileostomy surgery, I remembered seeing this thread. A couple of days after my surgery, I passed a solid stool. The next couple of days, this bloody black mess. In the following days, I passed completely clear mucus, a few times a day. It would give me the same urge as if I needed to have a bowel movement, but required no straining (I used to have to strain a lot, even with diarrhoea), as soon as I sat on the toilet and relaxed my muscles, it would slip out.

The nurses, doctors and stoma nurse all told me this is all completely normal. The past four or five days, I've passed nothing from the back passage at all - it seems the mucus has stopped. It's such a huge relief knowing I'm never going to have to pass anything that way again!

The advice I was given, though, was that usually, mucus clears up after several weeks (it seems I've stopped passing it now, but I'm bearing in mind this might just be a temporary absence at the moment) - they said it almost always reduces to nothing or next to nothing. I'm guessing the type of ostomy you've had and where you have active disease still may be a feature though.

nogutsnoglory

There will always be some discharge of dead skin cells coming in the form of mucus but I'm told it will slow down when the fistulas start closing.

annawato

Staff member
Mucus discharge seems to depend on the person. Some have it a couple of times a day, others only once a month or so.