• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sulfasalazine for Ulcerative Colitis question

Has anyone tried Sulfasalazine for ulcerative colitis? I was just put on that bc I can not afford Asacol. So I was wondering if it has helped you? What side effects did you notice while taking it ? Any input would be great. Thanks!

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Sulfasalazine was the very first med I was ever put on, and it did keep me in remission for quite some time. I can't remember if I was taking prednisone at the same time or not, but I think I was - so that might have helped it kick in to working. I have Crohn's though, not UC. I hope it works for you,

I was also initially put of sulfasalazine for what was thought to be ulcertive colitis. This had not been a confirmed diagnosis. It was prescribed by an old school doc who diagnosed me based on symptoms alone-"Yep, sounds like colitis. Take this." I did not take it for a long period of time because I sought a second opinion and was diagnosed with Crohn's via colonoscopy. I remember that it made me nauseous.

My old GI put me on it to as a last stitch effort (I guess), the morning after I took it I felt crazy dizzy and I was all red....so yea I have no idea if it works or not but if you feel dizzy and feverish your prob allergic to sulpha

I've been on it since Monday and haven't seen much if a change. I'm working myself up to taking the 8 pills a day. Hopefully it will start kicking in.

I have been on it. For me only works as a maintenance drug. Entocort is what got me out of my flare.

I was told they were nearly the same but Ascol had some possible protection against future colon cancer, and Sulfasalazine has some extra help for joints.

I was on both for a while and each one individually i believe. They both together and separately helped for short periods of time but I have never had intestinal symptoms.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I used to take it but never will again because it made me very sick. I was pretty young back then (9 years old) and didn't take it for very long. I didn't have an allergic reaction to it but I got just about every side effect listed on there. None of the doctors I know prescribe it anymore unless its all someone can afford but generally all the GIs I've seen prefer to use Asacol as the Sulfa tends to make a lot of people sick. It may or may not work for you and if it doesn't, try to get some sort of insurance to pay for it (or try to get insurance before it doesn't work for you just in case and get the insurance ball rolling). You're in the US so Medi-Cal/Medicare/Medicade may be an option for you. Contact your local Social Security office for help.

I have been taking the same medication with prednisone since last friday only been a few days. I wait he'd from Asacol and I haven seen too much improvement either, although I think it is too soon to judge. The side effects I have noticed were change in color in urine and lack of appetite .. but I wasn't really hungry before either.. a little grossed out by the pain. I am taking it for Crohns though... is that abnormal?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I am taking it for Crohns though... is that abnormal?
No. I took both the Sulfa and Asacol for Crohn's (which has been located mainly in my ileum). Both are time release tablets and do release in the ileum and colon. Both say they are for UC but if your Crohn's is near the colon (ileum) then both will work for you (assuming you don't have side effects form them that is).

a lot of people have reactions to it especially if it's not time release. It can make you dizzy and have ringing in your ears. not to scare you.

I take it because I don't have insurance and its cheap. It seems to keep me in control I take folic acid with it as well :) I dont notice any side effects

I was put on sulfasalazine along with prednisolone when I was first diagnosed with UC. After 4-5 weeks though I asked to swap the sulfasalazine as I was vomiting and generally feeling awful and thought it may have been side effects from the medication.
I was put on mesalazine and it seems to have made a bit of difference but not that much, i'm still recovering from my first flare up (?) didn't know I had UC until last month!
The main side effect I think I had from the sulfasalazine was nausea, it would kick in around dinner time and just got worse the longer I was on the medication. Hopefully you don't get too many side effects and it works for you!
Good luck :)

I have been on sulfasalazine for over 20 years and it seems to be keeping me mostly flare free,
I have no side effects from.it whatsoever, however after my last scope my doc put me on asacol which nearly killed me with pain.and cramps.
Back now on sulfasalazine and apart from a mild flare a couple o weeks ago all is good.

Know what you're going through!! They think I have UC and so I was on that for almost a year - made me feel disgusting! Now Im talking salofalk (its gross cause theyre granules rather than tablets) but the other just had too much sulpha and was making me feel ill when I took it in the morning - I had to take 6 tablets a day
If you experience the same thing, take them all at night rather than half in the morning, half at night - the drs will tell you that they prefer half half but it was making me feel so crappy that I just stopped taking it altogether in between dr visits and so they were ok with me taking it all night as long as it meant that I was taking them - ask your dr if it makes you feel gross

I take Salofalk.I have taken it since 2005. I am still having a problem with stomach upset and jfeeling nauseated lately. i am thinkign of askign for soemthing else. I haven't been moving too much which problem is not helpign em. Some tiems I sjtu want to go to bed and curl up. also I have been ahvign a lot of stress and I start isoalting :(( i think i need to amek an appointment with ym healthcare professional to see what chocies I have. I think the acid relux and me not moving much.. is causing me problems.

I know it's been a long time since the original posting, but I was terribly sick on sulfasalazine until I got on the enteric coated tablets and haven't had a problem since. I'm taking 12 a day. I'm also on weekly Humira and take cimetidine or ranitidine for acidic stomach issues.

Boswellia in some research has better or same results as sulfasalazine. It's a natural supplement with less side-effects. I'm trying it next week.