• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pen or Syringe

I am about to start Humira and i was wondering whether i should get the pen or the syringe... i don't like needles but either way there will be a needle so just not being able to see it won't take the fear away. I also have a low pain tolerance. Im not sure if i would like not being able to control how fast the medicine goes in with the pen. with the syringe i like knowing i would be able to and i feel like it might hurt less being able to putt in slower.
Does one hurt more than the other? What do you think is the best choice?

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I had the syringe but I dont have a low pain tolerance nor do needles both me. Major pick the Pen but not sure if which is better, since I never did the Pen. Still stings a bit but if you leave it out for about half hour and ice your area it should be ok. When is the Humira gonna start?

I've been using the Pen for Humira since i've started and find that it hurts, but is bearable. Only having to press a button is a huge convenience, compared to drawing up the med, looking out for veins, etc. involved with the needle.
That being said I did consider switching at one point because I thought the syringe would offer more control also. I never did make the switch but my pharmacy said it wouldn't be a problem to.
I'd say ask if you could give the Pen a go first then try the syringe so you can see which is better for you. I get mine in 1 month supplies and they have to order it each month anyway, so P 1 month and S the next..

I highly recommend the syringe. I started out on the pen (my doctor didn't give me a choice) and I found it to really burn. When I started the syringe I could control how fast the medication went in and that made a huge difference. Also I was able to warm it in between my hands in a couple of minutes. It seemed like with the pen even leaving it out for half an hour didn't help much.

I hope the Humira works wonders for you and you find a method that works for you. Good luck.

I had the Pen which was best for me only because there was no needle to look at I hate needles. Although it stings it only lasts for 3 seconds. Good luck hope the Humira works for you. Bev

I use the pen. It hurts but it takes just a few seconds to finish. The entire event is so short. I had my nurse do the loading dose, which was helpful. Good luck and don't worry too much, you will do fine.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Pen: I was supposed to start this week but i think i am going to switch to the syringe and if i really hate it i will switch to the pen the next order. so i think i will be starting next week i hope.

I prefer the syringe. I started on the pens and have gone back and forth a couple times. I really like having control over how fast it goes in and the clicking noise of the pen freaked me out some.
I agree that the syringe warms up a little faster than the pen if you leave it out before injecting, it stings really bad when it is cold.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Pen: I was supposed to start this week but i think i am going to switch to the syringe and if i really hate it i will switch to the pen the next order. so i think i will be starting next week i hope.
Good for you. My own thing was I thought the Pen would hurt more, and why add more pain but some say it is all good...

Keep us posted ok? If you try it , you can ice the area first and pinch it when you do it. I had a nurse come to help me and did practice shots. Good luck.:ybiggrin:

I like how the pen just pops real quick, a few seconds later its done. Like pulling a bandaid off a hairy place, just quick and done. I would agonize over a needle. Everybody is different though, the bottom line is you will do fine. Good luck! Oh I also breath through the pen window to warm it up quicker.

I actually got my loading dose this morning and I have the syringes. The nurse that gave them to me said that most of the patients she sees have the pens but in the same breath she said that alot switch to the syringe later bc you can control how fast it goes in. And man did it sting. I got all four in my stomach and didnt feel one needle at all but really felt it actually going in. Hope this helps good luck!!

The syringe nearly had me crying, in both my abdomen and thighs. The following meeting my IBD nurse changed the order to pens, and my God, what a difference.

I'm using the pen at the moment and don't like the popping sound or feel. Makes me feel like a robot getting a tune up. I may ask my doctor to change me to the syringe just to see if it matters to me.

Keep in mind that I do have a very high pain tolerance; which is probably why I wait to go to the hospital until I'm starting to lose Colon Tissue.

I just had my second loading dose of Humira this week. I've been using the syringe so far but will be trying out the pen next to see which one I prefer. Has anyone tried holding one of those hand held massagers (yes I know how strange that is!) to the area where you inject? My nurse - who is still doing the loading doses with me because I'm terrified of the needles! suggested I hold a hand held massager to the site of injection for 20 seconds ago to "scramble the nerve endings." I wasn't too sure about it but tried it out and was happily surprised by the results. The first needle didn't sting at all, the second one did but less than the initial loading period. I'm not sure if the second one stung because maybe the injection wasn't made directly where I was "massaging" or if perhaps it just didn't work...but hey! Worth a shot (if you pardon the pun).

Good luck!

Syringe

Having used the pen for my initial doses - then switching to the syringe I'd recommend the syringe - at first I was afraid of the needles but I don't feel the syringe and you can't accidentally set off the syringe. I'd let the syringe get to room temperature and then inject on either side of belly button - have existing scar so there aren't a lot of nerves - and the needle is really small - only sensation is from the injection being too cold.

As compared to the pen - there is no STING or BURNING with the syringe. and no anxiety/anticipation associated with the "Plunge".

Last edited:
I can't handle the pen. It's all I had before I moved and it hurt like a sonovaWOOO! To me at least. I had a person call me from this hotline to keep up with the patients that were on Humira when they were pregnant (I didn't know for 3 months all my tests came up negative and I am not "regular", was on birth control and antibiotics) and she told me about the warm up method. I experienced the syringe when I was in the hospital while pregnant while they still wanted to give it to me. BOY was there a difference.

I don't know how anyone can handle the pen, you guys are tough!!

I've heard varying things. Like you're not supposed to leave it out at all and that it's ok to leave it our for 30 minutes. I leave my out for 20 (actually time it) and it seems ok.

There is such a small amount of stuff in there and glass has minimal thermal insulating properties. "im a heating and air guy". So take the pen and stick the tip of your tongue through the window. It will feel cool. Breathe through the window like your are warming your hands. Tongue test again. You can warm it up in about a minute this way. There is just not that much mass.

I do the shot in my thigh and my nurse showed me to find the strip of fatty tissue that runs on the inner but towards the top part of the thigh. You don't want to inject into muscle. It hurts me too, but it is over quick enough.

Good luck everyone!

nogutsnoglory

I have the pens and the sting is like 3 seconds and maybe shed a tear. It's not pleasant but it's bearable.

I leave mine out for 15 min. How long can it be left out to defrost?

In love with the syringes!! Never will I ever go back to those pens! They gave me anxiety and they inject so dang fast! I'd rather do everything relaxed on my own pace. Ever since switching I'm so much happier with my Humira experience.
Another plus side is that pens must just sit around to warm up, but the syringes you can warm up in your hand for 2 minutes and it's at the temp a pen would take 30 mins to reach. Less waiting time!

Well thanks everyone for all the help. I ended up going with the pen. (surprising.) And honestly it hurt sooooo bad. I have been on Humira for a few months now and it hasn't gotten any easier. Even a little. I just had my shot this past tuesday and ended up icing it this time before and after which helped a lot. Every other tuesday seems too come too soon and I feel like a baby but i hate it all so much. Its hard to think that i am going to have to do this for the restt of my life or at least most of it. It scares me a little. (A lot)..