• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New here

Hello. I have been here reading lately and learning lots and appreciate the support you give each other. I have had severe diarrhea for years and many test with nothing diagnosed except Ibs and Sibo but no treatment given. the pill cam 4 weeks ago and waiting on results. Lots of burning and lower left abdominal discomfort. GI will not prescribe until he gets the results , tired of waiting and getting frustrated!

scottsma

Hello Dharma and welcome to the forum.Hopefully you will be prescribed meds.soon that will help you on the road to recovery.Of course,that won't be until your results show what's troubling you.There's always someone to talk to,so feel free to ask questions and we'll do our best to help.Feel better soon,and keep us updated.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello and welcome to the forum, you've certainly come to the right place for lots of support.

I hope you get your test results soon, don't be afraid to chase things up if it'staking a while, sometimes doctors need a gentle push. I know it must be a scary time for you, but once you have a diagnosis you can get a proper treatment plan figured out and get on the way to feeling better.

If you have any concerns or questions, please feel free to ask away, we are all in the same boat here so we won't judge and there is no need to feel embarrassed. There is no such thing as a silly question and although we may all be at different points in our treatment etc we all know what it's like to be where you are now and there isn't much we won't be able to relate to.

Finally after 5 weeks the doctor got report...said it really didn't show anything but wants to try me on Pentasa. It's $1200! Haven't met my deductible....concerned with the cost....is it worth a try? Also having lots of left side discomfort, but diarrhea has actually been better the last few days without any treatment. Thanks. Not sure if I am posting in the right spot here..

Thinking about asking my GI for an alternative...because of the cost...and since it's my first treatment and because the pill cam results didn't really show anything.....any suggestions? The only positive results have been an elevated IgG. Thanks for any suggestions...

valleysangel92

Staff member
It really deoends on where they think the inflammation and how deep they think it goes. Pentasa is good for surface inflammation, it works like an anti inflammatory and stops the inflammatory process in order to let the damaged cells heal and repair. It works better for ulcerative colitis than Crohns disease as it doesn't heal damage that has occured to the deep tissue layers.

In terms of treatments for inflammatory bowel disease, it is very safe and has less side effects than many of the other treatment options, so it's often where doctors will start because if it doesn't work then you can move on to other things, but if it does work you control the inflammation without too much risk.

I know you say that there isn't a lot showing on the pill cam, but the trick with inflammatory bowel disease is to control it and stop it getting to a severe stage. The earlier it gets caught and controlled the better. Once damage has got to a severe level it becomes difficult to control and can sometimes become irreversible and require surgery.

It is of course a good idea to find out exactly what's causing your problems and I can understand your reluctance to take medication when you don't know exactly what is wrong, but sometimes this is incredibly difficult to pin point and this is why some doctors prefer to take a pro-active approach.

I live in the UK and so don't know much about the costs of different medications, so I can't recommend anything cheaper unfortunately.

I've taken Pentasa before and Apriso works better for me. It is primarily prescribed for UC but is prescribed for CD as well. It might be a good alternative with few side effects for you.

Best of luck and hugs!

Monica