• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stress & Joint Pain

Ok I have had a very stressful week, and now having bad joint pain especially the knees, and groin. Left groin hurts to walk. Shoulder mucles have been really tight too. Does this happen to you, and what do you do for it? Thanks for any input.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Lucy, I have been experiencing somewhat the same thing. I had things to do yesterday so I took one Ibuprophen (one aint gonna hurt) and I bought some rub called voltaren...waste of money. I usually use Myomed but it is twice the money and didnt want to buy it but you what it is natural and works better! I have a tiny bit left saving that. I do some stretches and learning now that pred aint worth it! Hang in there it will pass it always does! xxx

Thanks Pen. I did take 2 Ibuprophen because it was hurting so badly. At least I was able to sleep. And it did help.

Thanks Pen. I did take 2 Ibuprophen because it was hurting so badly. At least I was able to sleep. And it did help.
Ibuprofen is a big no no if you have Crohn's. I think regulary aspirin is better for pain relief although I still stick to my opiate pain killers that I have lying around.

as for joint pain, I have suffered major knee pains and talked to my GI thinking it was arthritis via auto immune but he told me to take Calcium and Vitamin D supplements and the pain went away. the pain was from malnutrition

I know I know but I had to get some relief. I've never been offered pain killers for the crohn's pain. I almost never use ibuprofen, but had to get rid of the pain. Thank you Persian for being helpful. Welcome to the forum, and welcome fellow Texan. We are getting more and more Texans on here.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
As a rule Aspirin is also contraindicated for pain relief in Crohns due to it's blood thinning properties.

Dusty. :)

As a rule Aspirin is also contraindicated for pain relief in Crohns due to it's blood thinning properties.

thats why I resort to cannabis whenever I can >_>...<_<...^_^

texans need to grow up and just allow medicinal use for marijuana. I love Texas to death but its too conservative for my taste

Astra

I take 2 Ibuprofen sometimes for joint pain too, it won't hurt if you haven't got 'active' Crohns! I wouldn't take it if I was flaring tho!
Aspirin makes me puke! gives me terrible belly ache
Try and get some Ibugel from your GP, rub it in your joints, it contains Ibuprofen, but is topical and doesn't enter guts. It's relieving and it works.
xxx

You should stretch too. Yoga is good. Joint pain and soreness from stress is probably not crohns related, just part of life. You just gotta stretch, loosen the muscles, and get rid of knots, I store stress in my upper back so i get knots there a bunch. Heat loosens and relaxes muscles, so if you haven't taken a hot bath in a while, may feel really good. Otherwise, I'd say stretching and yoga ought to help a bunch.

Manimation, Thank you for the suggestion about yoga, but I know what caused the stress and crohn's causes the inflammation in the body which in turn makes the joints hurt. I even get inflmmation in my eyes due to the crohn's. Stretching may be something to try.

You may want to check some of the side effects of your medicines as well, when I was taking buspar for depression, I was so fatigued and sore that I could barely climb one flight of stairs. I know that joint pain is part of the deal with our conditions but this was just magnified by many times. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Jer

In the eyes? That's nuts, I'm sorry. I've pretty much just dealt with solid, unbridled gut pain for 15 years, that's my main symptom. Anyways, good luck with stretching, and I'm sure a hot relaxing bath would feel good too. When do they not right? Good luck!

Jerman thank you for the kind words.
Manimation yes in the eyes it was awful. I had to see an eye doc and he gave me steroid drops and that made them better quickly. Then you have to taper off the drops. My inflammation was around the eye vs. in the eye which is better.
Archie thanks for the info, but I'm past that stage thank goodness. Grandma of 3 going on 4

well I live in Oregon.. land of weed and practically anyone can get a weed card. I was offered one for pain etc.. I laughed.. and said no. How the heck am I supposed to function "high" I have 4 kids.. albeit my 16 yr son thought it would be a great idea.. haha! My doctor refused to give me pain meds though.. he said it will make the condition worse in the long run.. plus I am not one to take things that make me spacey. I dream of the dilantant IV pain meds.. that left me sleeping 24hrs a day.. ahh I wish! But that was during a hospitalization for a week.. Now I feel like I am dying 80% of the day :(

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Ah, now see that's what I don't understand about the whole pain thing with some doctors. I don't see how well targeted pain management will make your condition worse. I may be way off the mark but I think pain that is controlled allows your body and mind to rest and that is beneficial to healing both physically and mentally. (((shrug)))

Just my two cents. ;)