• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Use of atorvastatin as an anti-inflammatory treatment in Crohn's disease

Does anyone have any more information about this?

"Use of atorvastatin as an anti-inflammatory treatment in Crohn's disease"
at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2597264/

Sounds interesting: "Conclusions and implications:
Our findings imply that atorvastatin therapy reduces inflammation in patients with Crohn's disease and, therefore, encourage further investigations of statin-mediated protective effects in inflammatory bowel diseases."

Could this be a gentler alternative to some of the drugs commonly used for Crohns? Like millions of other people, I already take Atorvastatin 20mg per day for Cholesterol control.

I hadn't heard anything about it, thanks for sharing the link. Since starting it, have your symptoms been reduced at all?
I cant really say, as I have been on Atorvastatin for probably 10 plus years, and was only recently diagnosed with Crohns. Maybe this is why my Crohns symptoms (so far anyway) don't seem to be as severe as what many people have.

Call me cynical if you like, but I suggest that big Pharma companies might have little interest in encouraging trials of old, safe, cheap medicines on which the IP has expired, if the results might detract from sales of newer “bleeding edge” medications. (where we crohnies do the bleeding, in our wallets and our person.)

nogutsnoglory

Call me cynical if you like, but I suggest that big Pharma companies might have little interest in encouraging trials of old, safe, cheap medicines on which the IP has expired, if the results might detract from sales of newer “bleeding edge” medications. (where we crohnies do the bleeding, in our wallets and our person.)
I don't think that's cynical I think that's truth. These companies have no incentive to spend money researching or getting FDA approval on old drugs for new conditions. They will push their current patents and for new ones. Humira is advertising like crazy now but bet you won't see an ad again come 2014.

Hi
I have been on atorvastatin 10mg daily for cholesterol for about 14 months now & was diagnosed with Crohns 9 months ago but I had symptoms for a long time. I am currently awaiting a TI resection (31st July). Neither my surgeon or GI mentioned anything about this medication being helpful for inflammation & I cant say my symptoms got any better since taking it but maybe my dose is too small.
To be honest though I wouldn't want to be on a high dose of statins even if they helped with the Crohns as they come with there own side effects which I wouldn't want.