• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fistula Side effects

This question is for anyone that has had or going through a anal fistula, does an anal fistula cause you to have trouble to urinate? I have had an anal fistula for about 7 mounths now. But now when I have to go and take a leak its like diffcult and very crazy. Has anyone had this type of trouble befour? Please let me now and tell me your story with going through a anal fistula.

Hi crohns4ever,

Sorry to hear of your troubles, I have 2 perianal fistula's and 1 rectovaginal fistula and haven't experienced this before...Sorry I can't be of more use.

Are you on any treatment for the fistula? Sometimes side effects of medications include trouble urinating/ burning sensation etc. It could also be a possible UTI? Fistula's are nasty little things and could lead to an infection in the area.

Take care!

Agree with the previous posters. I'm full of fistulas but currently none involve the urinary tract and i have no problem with urination.

This question is for anyone that has had or going through a anal fistula, does an anal fistula cause you to have trouble to urinate? I have had an anal fistula for about 7 mounths now. But now when I have to go and take a leak its like diffcult and very crazy. Has anyone had this type of trouble befour? Please let me now and tell me your story with going through a anal fistula.
I recently had my seton placement (i.e. 11/26). I had a lot of trouble with my stream initially and I continue to have some problems, but its better. Prior to the surgery, though, I didn't have any problems.

nogutsnoglory

Certainly discuss with your colorectal surgeon because maybe the prostrate got inflamed. It shouldn't be due to the seton but the area is in distress so to speak.

I guess I'm the odd one in the bunch, because whenever I get a perianal abscess, fistula, or fissure I always have trouble urinating. I've never had a bowel or vaginal fistula, so I don't know why. Maybe it's just the inflammation pushing on your bladder?

I have a rectovaginal fistula, and I sometimes experience difficulty urinating. It was once so bad that I went to a urologist. I think it has to do with the inflammation pushing on the bladder. I found that going on a short round of prednisone seemed to help the problem. Best of luck!

I currently have a seton, which was placed on 11/26. I followed up with CRS last week and had an exam, and was told I have Crohn's. I noticed yesterday that I had some pain on the cheek, just below the seton. Today, I noticed that it is a little swollen only on that side. I'm fearing that it may be another abscess. Any other ideas or should I call the CRS to set up appt?

Ugh, ey218. I hope it is must some minor skin issue and not an abscess. It is is still bugging you in a day or two I would probably give them a call. Until then, I'd do lots of sitz baths and otherwise keep the area clean and dry.

I finished my antibiotics from the surgery. I'm calling the CRS today to see what they want to do. I'm hope we don't have to drain it again. I'm flying home for Christmas on Saturday and have a 4 1/2 hour drive after that. The last thing I want if I have just been lanced and drained!