Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's & Stress Support Group

12-28-2015, 01:15 AM   #1
Molly-Baby
Crohn's & Stress Support Group

About this Support Group

I have Crohn's disease. I am finding I am becoming increasingly stressed by a situation, and as the stress increases, my Crohn's symptoms and pain are worsening.

The Mayo clinic suggests:
Although stress doesn't cause Crohn's disease, it can make your signs and symptoms worse and may trigger flare-ups. The association of stress with Crohn's disease is controversial. When you're stressed, your normal digestive process changes. Your stomach empties more slowly and secretes more acid. Stress can also speed or slow the passage of intestinal contents. It may also cause changes in intestinal tissue itself. Although it's not always possible to avoid stress, you can learn ways to help manage it.

Any thoughts, ideas, or experiences about stress & Crohn's (or UC)?

Members

allicat99, athena's Avatar athena, BodieJaker's Avatar BodieJaker, Casey Baudelaire, Cherry04's Avatar Cherry04, Christi, Chronsbusters2001, cllsanders, girlygirl's Avatar girlygirl, Hopa's Avatar Hopa, joss8's Avatar joss8, kavyaPrajwal, Molly-Baby, Momoftwo's Avatar Momoftwo, Pathophys, ronroush7's Avatar ronroush7, Sophabulous's Avatar Sophabulous, spiggie, StrayTaco's Avatar StrayTaco, stylinmama, subiecubed, Tash_919, tracyandkevinp's Avatar tracyandkevinp, yikes's Avatar yikes, Yugiah
12-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #2
Christi

My Support Groups:
Hi molly i started doing yoga its so relaxing , but i could not do it for a while now because im a little ill now :-)
12-28-2015, 03:35 PM   #3
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I wonder, Molly, if this is why I have trouble emptying myself
12-29-2015, 10:45 AM   #4
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I wonder if finding some hobby you really enjoy would relieve the stress? Or exercise?

12-29-2015, 11:35 AM   #5
Christi

My Support Groups:
Yes i agree with ron keeping your mind busy are really good
12-30-2015, 05:33 PM   #6
stylinmama

My Support Groups:
I just started a thread today about this same thing. I do not ever flare without a high stress trigger. Everyday stress is no problem. But a high stress situation is the only thing that causes my flares.
06-17-2016, 11:34 PM   #7
Ann Morgan
Did my stress cause my UC ? Or did my UC cause my stress !
06-17-2016, 11:36 PM   #8
Ann Morgan
What about getting a massage ? I may try that ?
06-18-2016, 09:05 AM   #9
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Give it a try.

07-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #10
Chronsbusters2001

My Support Groups:
I recently tried Accupuncture to help with the symptoms, along with daily prayer. I am catholic and find that prayer helps. I have been diagnosed and had symptoms since 2001.
07-14-2016, 09:51 AM   #11
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I recently tried Accupuncture to help with the symptoms, along with daily prayer. I am catholic and find that prayer helps. I have been diagnosed and had symptoms since 2001.
Amen

07-14-2016, 09:52 AM   #12
Chronsbusters2001

My Support Groups:
I know stress definitely affects Crohn's. Earlier this years, i had lost 2 family members and during that time, my Crohn's severely inflammed. I have been on Budesonide since March 2016. Since January, I have had a ct scan, colonscopy and mutliple blood work and xrays
07-14-2016, 09:58 AM   #13
Chronsbusters2001

My Support Groups:
Has anyone tried Humira or Remicade? My Doctor is recommending that for me. I met with both companies at the Take Steps walk here in June. I am afraid of the side effects and costs.
07-14-2016, 10:02 AM   #14
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am currently on Humira right now with no problems. I was on Remicade twice. The second time, I developed a lesion that had to be removed surgically. I don't know if I developed antibodies. Everyone different.

07-14-2016, 10:03 AM   #15
Chronsbusters2001

My Support Groups:
I hope You are feeling better. I will definitely pray for You. I have been dealing with Crohn's since 2001. Had surgery and been thru multiple treatments, including accupuncture and medications. Currently on Budesonide 3x a day. My doctor is recommending Biologics next, like Humira or Remicade. I am not sure. I know I cant be on steroids too long.
07-14-2016, 10:05 AM   #16
StrayTaco

My Support Groups:
I'm currently on Humira. My doc considered both meds and went with Humira simply because of my location - I'm not close to an infusion center which is required for Remicade. They're both similar in that they are TNF-Alpha blockers - blocking that particular channel of your immune system. That worried me at first because I heard it as an immuno-suppresant, but it's not as bad as other medicines in that category. The only real immune system risks are for rare diseases like TB, Hepatitis, and a rare form of lymphoma. I had to get tested for TB and all forms of Hepatitis, and get immunized against hepatitis. The only other restriction i have is that I can't have live vaccines (like smallpox and the nasal flu vaccine) and they recommend my wife get her flu vaccine every year.

Humira was a miracle for me! I was so bad right before my diagnosis - I was anemic and had no energy, I was bleeding like a stuck pig every time I went to the bathroom. They put me on Prednisone to control it, and the Humira kept it from coming back.

There is also a risk of developing antibodies to the medicine, so you have to get checked occasionally. Also, because it's a biologic, you have to have it express shipped and then keep it refrigerated. It's distributed through specialty pharmacies, and I just make a phone call every couple weeks and it's taken care of. Again, it's so worth it if it helps (which it did for me).
07-14-2016, 10:06 AM   #17
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks. I love prayer. I am on Budesonide also. I have acupuncture every Friday.

08-15-2016, 07:19 AM   #18
subiecubed

My Support Groups:
Stress is my biggest trigger. With 3 kids and a stressful career, it's difficult to avoid. I've been finding things to help me unwind. Riding my motorcycle, kayaking, hiking, exercising, and I even do "The Art of Floating" occasionally to clear my mind. One of the biggest things to remember is to not let little things stress you out. I have to remind myself of that often.
08-19-2016, 05:13 AM   #19
StrayTaco

My Support Groups:
What's the Art of Floating? I've been working with MN mindfulness, etc., not just for Crohn's but ADHD and PTSD, so I'm always interested in new information and techniques.

08-24-2016, 01:57 PM   #20
cllsanders

My Support Groups:
Life itself is stressful enough but when you add Crohn's to it all, I feel like the stress can be totally overwhelming. I go to acupuncture and massage once a month to help. I'd like to also try yoga but finding time for myself is such a challenge that I haven't managed just yet.
08-24-2016, 02:00 PM   #21
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Life itself is stressful enough but when you add Crohn's to it all, I feel like the stress can be totally overwhelming. I go to acupuncture and massage once a month to help. I'd like to also try yoga but finding time for myself is such a challenge that I haven't managed just yet.
I go for acupuncture also. Beforehand I used to get bad swelling in my legs.

05-09-2017, 08:17 PM   #22
yikes

My Support Groups:
I go to acupuncture every other week for GAD (general anxiety disorder) and Crohn's. It works well in preventing flare ups as well as reducing my anxiety. I go as an alternative to taking medicine as a preventative. I still have flares occasionally, but as I said it works well enough that I only have to take medication as needed for abnormally bad flare ups. Anyone who hasn't tried it should check it out.
05-09-2017, 10:00 PM   #23
subiecubed

My Support Groups:
What's the Art of Floating? I've been working with MN mindfulness, etc., not just for Crohn's but ADHD and PTSD, so I'm always interested in new information and techniques.
"Art of floating" is a desensitation chamber that allows you to float in a pool of salt water. It's very relaxing.

05-11-2017, 10:01 PM   #24
Hopa

My Support Groups:
I am also currently having a flare up due to stress that I can't control. Normally I don't get stressed about exams or presentations or anything like that. But when it comes to caring about friends and family, my stress goes through the roof!
Junior in college
05-11-2017, 10:20 PM   #25
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am also currently having a flare up due to stress that I can't control. Normally I don't get stressed about exams or presentations or anything like that. But when it comes to caring about friends and family, my stress goes through the roof!
Hope you feel better soon.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's & Stress Support Group