Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » False negative calprotectin

07-22-2017, 07:49 AM   #1
eastman18

False negative calprotectin

Hello, I wanted to ask the crohnies here, is it possible to have multiple negative calprotectin tests (like 10-15 tests, 1 test every 3rd week of the month), without any medications, but to have active microscopic inflammation in TI or colon? We are talking about calprotecting values in the range [10-30mg/kg]
07-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
Scipio

My Support Groups:
No lab test is 100% accurate, meaning non have no false positives nor false negatives. So maybe the test just doesn't work for you. There are certainly many Crohn's patients for whom CRP is never elevated. you seem to be an example of the same thing for calprotectin.

The source of calprotectin I the stool is thought to be from a certain type of white blood cells that are responding to the inflammation. Perhaps in your case your level or type of inflammation is not triggering the type or degree of immune response likely to produce elevated fecal calprotectin.
07-25-2017, 05:58 AM   #3
eastman18

No lab test is 100% accurate, meaning non have no false positives nor false negatives. So maybe the test just doesn't work for you. There are certainly many Crohn's patients for whom CRP is never elevated. you seem to be an example of the same thing for calprotectin.

The source of calprotectin I the stool is thought to be from a certain type of white blood cells that are responding to the inflammation. Perhaps in your case your level or type of inflammation is not triggering the type or degree of immune response likely to produce elevated fecal calprotectin.
Thaks for the response, btw I dont have crohn's I am with IBS.
07-25-2017, 07:29 AM   #4
Guerrero

My Support Groups:
Well then with IBS you shouldnt have high level of calprotectin
07-25-2017, 10:27 AM   #5
Scipio

My Support Groups:
Yes, if the diagnosis is IBS and not IBD then the low calprotectin is a true negative and not a false negative.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » False negative calprotectin