• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Could promithazine w/ codeine help a bowel obstruction

So I'm pretty positive I'm having a bowel obstruction but I'm not sure how to go about it. I'd really rather not go into the ER and it's a little to late here in Seattle to call my GI. Last night I was throwing up bile but so far so good today. However, the pain hasn't seem to stop. Cramps every few minutes or so. The pain is probably a 7/10 but it's just starting to wear me down. I have promithazine w/codeine left over from having bronchitis earlier this year and I'm wondering if that could do anything for the pain?

Does anyone have any experience? I've heard of people getting it prescribed for their vomitting but I'm not sure about CD pain. Please help!

If you believe it is an obstruction you need to go to the ER. I know it sucks but since codeine and narcotics slow down the bowels I'm not sure that is safe or a good idea.

Anything with codeine would be the last thing I'd take with an obstruction! Panadol or Tramadol are the only things I take with an obstruction.

I'm with frozengirl, you need to go to ER with an obstruction.

I used to only go when it was really bad cause I didn't think they could do anything but an NG tube really does help. Try to just have that and no morphine as that will just make it worse. Despite that they always offer it....

I agree - both Promethazine and codeine are constipating. Promethazine is used for nausea but it's not worth the risk. I would only take paracetamol (which has different names and brand names in different countries, one being Panadol that Layla recommended), assuming you've no other medical issues which would make it unsuitable for you. A hot water bottle can really help with cramps as the warmth relaxes your muscles.

Are these symptoms you've had with bowel blockages before? If so did they resolve on their own? Keep in mind that you may not have a blockage, it could be something else that's wrong. You should get it checked out.

When I had a bowel blockage, the pain eased after I went to the Accident & Emergency department and they drained my stomach with an NG. The same was true when I had ileus (paralysis of the intestine). In both cases I was not allowed opiates. When the NG was in it was such a relief as the pain eased.

Last edited:
Anything with codeine would be the last thing I'd take with an obstruction! Panadol or Tramadol are the only things I take with an obstruction.
Tramadol can be constipating also, it's an opiate like codeine, so you shouldn't take it with a (possible) blockage.